Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Steel Balls

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:55 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Balls

Not really sure why I'm posting this, but I saw something at the winterfest this past weekend that I had never seen before. Not one, but a couple fliers that would hand start their Nelsons. Your definately not going to see me do this, but I was impressed.

Whats your thoughts....?
Old 01-20-2004, 11:13 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Steel Balls

No thanks!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:44 PM
MaxQ

Tis amazing watching that sequence, isn't it. Over the past year I've been fortunate enough to be around a couple of those "Old U-Control Guys" during practice and local races. I always have a slight cringe watching till there Nelson(Opps, or Jett) is humming on the first or second flip. Personally I think there is still a certain lingering "U-Control" dizziness on going here. Just kidding J.W. and B.C. Can't tell ya how much I've learned from those folks in a very short time.

Tom Hegland
37c
Old 01-21-2004, 10:02 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

There is an ex speed control line guy at my club that starts his nelson with a finger flip from time to time. I don't have any qualms starting my sport engines that way... but I do not want to stick my hand into a ghinsu knife prop set to start at full throttle... unless my starter fails at the line.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 AM
SSAN

I know both Bruce and Jacob that do that. They both finger start their Jetts within one to two flips on it. [sm=surprised.gif]
They make it seem easy, but my concern is safety for myself. Jacob was trying to get me to do it also because he said it was easier, but No Way Jose! Not in a million year when the engine start of at full throttle.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Fly Fast n Left

Hi,
No Problem. The start is all in how you prime the engine. I have found if you shut the engine off with the carb it will generally leave a nice prime in it. It will usually start within 1 or 2 flips. I think it may be easier on the bearings and the other moving parts inside.

When I first tried it I was scared, but now I actually think it is pretty easy, you just have to have confidence.

Jacob
Old 01-22-2004, 11:05 AM
T34RACING

i cherish my fingers. The people who are missing them once said the same things about how easy they are to flip. That what starters are for. I cherish my fingers.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 AM
luv to race

The thing for you guys to remember is that your not flipping the engine through compression. Your bouncing the prop "backward" against compression, thus only touching the front side of the prop (which is dull). And Jacob is right... it all comes down to the prime.

Been doing it for 6 years..

Randy Bridge
Old 01-22-2004, 01:22 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Out of curiosity.... can you just flip it backwards using the spinner? Does it really save that much wear and tear on the bearings to make this an RPM gainer/maintainer? Thanks.

Dan
Old 01-22-2004, 02:18 PM
daven

I did see Lee U. do the spinner flip back against compression. Seemed to work fine, just not for me.

Dave
Old 01-22-2004, 02:45 PM
luv to race

As far as saving wear and tear ... who knows? I doubt it. We start Q40 and FAI with starters, and those engines turn more rpm, especially FAI... up over 28K...

Rb