Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Winter Pylon

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:03 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Pylon

I just saw this picture on our club website and thought I would share. Now if we could just find enough helpers willing to sit out in the cold, we could have a race.

I'm not sure who that is, but it resembles Splatt.

This is also an advertisement for our annual FYAO (Freeze Your Ailerons Off) Chili fly in on Sunday 2/22 at NOON. Its not too late to get your plane tickets to come join us in the snow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58145.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	102440  
Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter Pylon

Dave,

When I was young and stupid (note: I am now old and stupid) and lived in Michigan I did a lot of winter flying ... partly for the challenge, partly to keep my hand in while learning, and partly because I was 17 and sometimes if I started visibly shaking and turning blue, the older club members would take pity on me and give me whiskey. But I remember thinking even then, isn't there SOME way around having to start those blinkety-blank engines in the cold?

So, now would be a good time to promote electric racing!

Propeye
Old 02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
kenthaas1

dave it looks like there is some meatballs on that plane lol it has to be splatt
Old 02-20-2004, 01:29 PM
djlyon

DHG I'm from Michigan and my story is the same as yours. Solution, I was in Southern California by the time I was 20.

Look at that banner, must about -30 wind chill, I remember it well and ain't reliving it ever.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:55 PM
PJ_TankPilot

When I was young and stupid, I lived in Michigan. One of my vivid memories is of trying to start a diesel model engine in the bitter cold. In frustration, I cranked down the compression to max and proceeded to twist the nose off the airplane.

I prepared for winter flying by standing on frozen lakes, fishing through a hole in the ice. Not many things colder than that.
--------------------
Borrow money from a pessimist - they don't expect it back.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
splatt

I think it's you, Daven. look at yourself in the background of the pic of me holding my Q40 PBF and you'll see jeans and a blue jacket. I suppose you don't rememeber parking your quickie on the roof of the big shed either, hmmm.

I do beleive it's Phil Z. He's about the only other tall flyer we have. It's nice racing against short racers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85085.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	103161  
Old 02-20-2004, 05:48 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

The picture with your PBF definately has me in the background, but my quickee I was flying had skis on it. The one in the picture above I believe was Phils. I think that is Pat who gave him the launch??

I wish I did land on the barn, unfortunately I missed the barn and piled it in on the Tar. Batteries don't like the cold

I didn't know you had a Q40 on your PBF, must be fast.