Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 02:25 AM
MaxQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racer II Feedback

About a year ago I decieded to dust off some 10 year old Quickie wing cores and see if the old K&B 40 still had compression. It didn't take many flights to get that Quickie fever running again. It also didn't take long to turn those old ancient wing cores into something resembling foam "peanut" packing material. That pylon racing itch I had 15 years ago has now festered into a giant uncontrolable rash. Pylon World referenced me to a list of planes and after some thought a Racer II was purchased from Bill Vargas. I was impressed with kit as a hole, however the pre-sheeted wing strength and quality was excellent. The first flight weight turned out to be 3 lbs 5oz. First fight was uneventful, two clicks of elevator trim and it flew like it was on rails. Deadstick handling characteristics were impressive. I fly off a two lane road where I work and landing(typically with a cross wind) can be a challenge, however the Racer II has made this a none event. A 20 foot wide runway with "prop breaking, muffler denting, landing gear shearing" cement curbs definately makes you a better pilot. After about 10 flights the moron in me came out and I accidently performed a major structual test of the Racer II. With the Racer II in one hand and my flight line box in the other I was walking to a stagging area until I was abruptly interrupted by my dogs leash. Face down I went with the Racer II wing breaking my fall. With the Racer II wing pinned between the ground and a picnic bench all 240 lbs of me went shoulder first at about 50% span. Oh S_-t!!!!!! The wing did buckle, about 10 degree set, but didn't fold. I couldn't believe it was still in one piece. Minor surgery with two 1/4 inch carbon fiber rods and epoxy the wing remains straight and strong. After 90 plus flight the Racer II has exceeded my expectation in performance, durability and just plain fun. The Racer II has been a integal step in getting me started in 424 Racing. I'm now looking forward to receiving Racer II number two and continuing to be involved in District 1 pylon racing.

MaxQ .
Old 06-03-2002, 03:16 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like Bill Vargas's airplane lives up to its name! shows how a simple, but strong wing can be so light.

MaxQ, where do you fly out of? Moffett/Shoreline??

Michael
Old 06-03-2002, 07:07 PM
MaxQ

Default Strong Wing

Mike,
I work and fly out at Moffett Field. You probably know a few people from Moffett who race the Warbird stuff at your field. With the talented pool of pylon racers here in central California, it sure would be great to see a local club sponsor a Quickie race or two. Hint, hint. By the way, I don't recommend anybody proof loading a Racer II wing via my method.

MaxQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13092_3868.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	8760  
Old 06-03-2002, 08:00 PM
Mluvara

Ahh, so you probably know Mr Sumich, and crew... and probably have heard about me from them

I would have the club put on a race if we knew there were people going to be there. I'm not 100% sure of the quickee contingent and what's going on in our area. I know our club is one of the few that can handle it, but as we would love to put on as many events as possible, it's becoming more and more difficult to strike a balance between # of events and the # of weekends available for club members to have open flying. If there's sufficient club and outside interest, it would be possible and I know that we could draw people from many areas to come. Our club does have a quickee launch pad built in too.

Michael
Old 06-03-2002, 08:36 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race ???

I know I would attend a Q500 Race up there!!!

MaxQ, cool pic man

BV
Old 06-04-2002, 01:47 AM
MaxQ

Default Central California Quickie Interest?

Michael,

Yeah, Mark, Glenn and crew, when not out competing do most of there practice and engine setups at Moffett. Although I'm not into T-34 ARF's or Warbird racing, watching the meticulous attention to detail and effort of these guys has given me a "benchmark' to follow in my AMA 424 and someday AMA 428 racing. I have no answer requarding your question about central California Quickie interest. However I wouldn't mind being involved in starting some interest. How many pilots in the T-34 Expert or other Warbird Classes have flown a 424 or 428 type Quickie? If you, or anybody you know would like to test hop a 424 legal racer let me know, I would gladly hookup with ya. Quickie ARF's (Preditors) from Tower Hobbies are cheaper than the T-34 ARF's prices I've seen. Anyway, Bill V. said he would show up. That's a start.

MaxQ
Old 06-04-2002, 04:20 PM
R.Bridge

You boys want to put on a race somewhere in central Calif. huh? Well, I live in Sacramento and Fred Burgdorf lives in Woodland. Bruce Coffey and his wife Joanne live down in Newman. And I'm sure my partner in crime Travis Flynn would be there.

So lets see, that's: (and a few more)

Randy Bridge
Travis Flynn
Fred Burgdorf
Bruce Coffey
Joanne Coffey
Tim Lawlor
Rick Marquez (never misses a LA race, lives near Fresno)
The Vanbaren family of 2...

and, just tell Barry Levangood, who is a great promotor for the LA area I'm sure he could convince a couple more LA boys to drive a little ways. But, I know it's tough putting on a race and can be complex getting the off course judging stuff together. Just trying to let you know we would be behind you and as a racing group. Just some thoughts!

Have a great day, See everyone in LA this weekend !

Randy Bridge
Team JR
Old 06-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Mluvara

I will seriously put some thought into this. Depending on the course layout, we could possibly combine it with another one of our races, depending on what classes are run. Our field's about a 3 hours drive from Fresno or Sacramento, and about 5-7 from southern California. I will chew on this with the club. 2003 might be a viable possibility because we have the facilities and the resources to do it.

Michael
SCCMAS

Name:	13215_2243.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	8758  
Old 06-04-2002, 04:36 PM
Mluvara

Another shot of our field

Name:	13214_2243.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	8759  
Old 06-04-2002, 04:42 PM
R.Bridge

It would be hard to combine events, due to the 3 poles sticking up and other events might hit them. But, you would want to have the standard APRA, 428 and 422. Some guys who fly 428 also fly 422 (Q40).

What a great flying site, where exactly is that? Looks like it is North of the bay area?

Randy Bridge
Old 06-04-2002, 04:58 PM
Mluvara

It's in Morgan Hill, CA - in the southern part of the Bay Area, off of Hwy 101. Fred Burgdorf and others have been to our site in the past for other racing events.

So, you think a full blown 428 & 422 event would be well attended?

I'll have to dig up the AMA rule book and familiarize myself with the course layout in QM and quickee. We've been doing off-course flying for awhile and I can't remember what the current setup is for you guys. I do know that it is 3 pylons...

Michael
Old 06-04-2002, 11:44 PM
bl10

Michael:

We would love to see AMA 40 size rulebook racing going again in your part of the state. I can virtually guarantee you a turn out of 35 to 40 (maybe more) entrants spread over the three events we generally run (Q40-AMA 422, Q500-AMA 428 and APRA-AMA 424 with slight rules deviations). I can help you with any equipment you may need as well as promotion from my end (LA). E-mail or call me if you want to pursue this further.

Barry Leavengood
[email protected]
(818) 998-4564
Old 06-05-2002, 03:45 AM
MaxQ

Default APRA(424), AMA 428 & AMA 422 at TOMCAT Field, Morgan Hills Ca

Michael,
The outside interest in AMA 40 size rulwbook racing in central California seems significant. Barry L. estimates 35 to 40 participants from the LA area. I've visited TOMCAT Field to watch two T-34/Warbird races and was imprerssed with the competition and enthusiasm/turn-out for these pylon racing events. The Warbird "Triangle Series' is strong now and will continue to be. However a suggestion to generate interest for 40 size AMA racing within your club and other local RC entusiast would be to get a couple of AMA 428 and 422 guys to participate in your Airshow July 13th and 14th. The 2:15pm slot for "Fly Fast and Turn Left" seems appropriate. I think a lot of the T-34/Warbird guys would enjoy participating in Sepulveda Basin and Whitter Narrows type pylon racing competition. "Just a thought".

MaxQ
Old 06-05-2002, 06:02 AM
Mluvara

Default Race possibilities

Hi guys-

Wonder if I should start another thread since this has veered off some.

Anyways, there is a strong possibility of holding a Quickee/Qm race at our field as described here. The only problem is this - I need our club's support in the fact that it benefits the club. We have a few race classes already (T-34, Warbird Unlimited, Stock warbird, etc). Not that these are all inclusive, I want there to be people from our club competing in the quickee classes - probably the stock one and don't want to dilute what's already here. I don't see that as a problem as our club has become a racing club. They'll race almost anything. It's been some time since we held quickee races. In fact, I think it was about the time that the Nelson motors came out.

I will start asking around our club in the next few weeks and present it at our next meeting. Hopefully, I'll have a better idea in 3 weeks. I would think that if we did hold a race, it would be in 2003 and I'd be happy to work with everyone for a good date, etc.

MaxQ (since I don't know yer real name yet) - the race demo at our annual airshow is a fine idea. I am just setting the acts up and you might want to get in contact with me about it. We can always use racers at the airshow as it seems to be short every year.

I know that I've got my Dubb Jett laying around here in one of my small warbirds and could put it to good use racing next year in a quickee...

Barry, I'll be in contact. Tried calling earlier, but there was no answer.

If you guys need to get ahold of me, you can call our club's line (it's at my house) (408) 292-1212

Michael
[email protected]
or
[email protected]
Old 06-05-2002, 01:31 PM
MaxQ

Default Alias MaxQ.........

Michael,
My actual name is Tom Hegland and I work out at Moffett Field as a wind tunnel engineer. As I mentioned in my original post to this thread, I'm a rank beginner to 40 size AMA pylon racing. Participated in the last Sepulveda Basin race back in May and had a great time. Looking forward to Basin race number 2 this coming weekend. I fly the entry level AMA 424 class(refered to as APRA). In a earlier post Mr Bridge has identified some more serious racers in our general area and maybe one of these folks could brind a 428 and/or a 422 class racer for a demo at your airshow???

MaxQ

PS: In my business "Q" is a reference to dynamic pressure(pitot-static pressure) ie air speed. "Max", well just go fast baby!!!!
Old 06-05-2002, 02:43 PM
MaxQ

Default Thread Change or Move!

I think Michael is right about a seperate thread. Who does this? I would suggest all posts from "Strong Wing' on should be moved to something referencing Central California AMA 424, 428 and 422 Pylon Racing.

MaxQ
Old 06-05-2002, 02:48 PM
Mluvara

Since I'm a moderator, I should be able to do it, but at this time, I don't believe I have access to edit the Q500 stuff. I'll check... Don, Bill? wanna take this on?

Michael
Old 06-05-2002, 05:57 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

I'm working on splitting the thread ... this is a backup
Old 06-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MOVED TO DISCUSSION FORUM

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED OVER TO THE PYLON DISCUSSION FORUM.

BV