Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Oil soaked balsa

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 02:45 PM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil soaked balsa

hey guys i am recovering my Q500 racer and it is oil soaked in some spots and i am having a hell of a time getting it out...i tried letting it sit in corn starch for 3 days and that didnt do anything. i was wondering if anyone out there knew how to get it out.

Cole
Old 03-12-2004, 03:18 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Oil soaked balsa

I recently bought K2R spot remover from the local grocery store which worked pretty good.

Spray it on, it kinda turns into a white powder, and then you brush it off. A couple applications is all it took for me to get out a leak I had on a sport plane.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:32 PM
colesifer3d314

yea i herd about that but the stores out here do not carry K2R anymore...and im not sure of anything else...thats y i tried corn starch...thanx for the info though...im going to try and find some at a few different places i havnt tried yet

Cole
Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
colesifer3d314

i finally found some K2r at Ace Hoardware and it works like a charm...coat it on and brush it off with a paint brush or tooth brush (like dave said) and it comes right out
Old 03-12-2004, 07:49 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: Cole Thornton

i finally found some K2r at Ace Hoardware and it works like a charm...

Well now Cole put that airplane back together and get your tail on over to Speedworld tomorrow.

John
Old 03-12-2004, 08:48 PM
colesifer3d314

o i will be at speedworld tomorrow...but im not going to fly...i still need to cover my plane and fly it agine to get use to it agine...but i will be at speedworld tomorrow...ill be wearing white square lense sunglasses with spiked hair and wearing a white West Coast Choppers shirt...i hope to talk to some of u guys tomorrow.

Cole
Old 03-12-2004, 09:21 PM
JohnBuckner

Great Cole will see'ya there. I,am real easy to spot in my wheelchair, we can always use help its a great way to get oriented. Don,t be shy, Of course probably not with spiked hair, sure hope its not pink like my daughters spiked hair.[X(]

John[8D]
Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 PM
colesifer3d314

ooo...well is ur daughter going to be there???hahaha...IM JUST PLAYIN!!!! no my hair isnt pink...its brown but it wont be hard to miss me either...ill look for u tomorrow...maybe someone will need help with a launch or somthin...ill be there for sure tomorrow...hope to c u... maybe u can introduse me to some people out there...ill be there around lunch time..

Cole
Old 03-12-2004, 10:13 PM
JohnBuckner

Yup someone will need help with 'launch or somthin', probably me. Do try to get there before nine the normal start time, but usually runs a little late and depending on how many show up things only go for two or three hours of racing.

Also bring a sport plane or whatever if youwould like to fly after the races, You know you don,t have to fly a racer to practice on the course. Thats what make these events so enjoyable. I be flying the ship in my avitar later.

John
Old 03-12-2004, 10:44 PM
colesifer3d314

yea sounds like fun...ill prolly bring my little .40 size Dragon Lady with an Enya .40...maybe we can have some fun with that...ill be there as soon as i can...also...i dont have a hardhat, do u have an extra???i would bring a healmet but the only one i have is for motocross...LITTLE OVERKILL...ill leave my house round 7 and be there round nine hopefully...i could launch and call for u or whatever u need...ill look for u in ur chair...im lookin forward to go down and check this stuff out.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys, a word of advice with K2R. Use it outside, and wear a mask when dusting it off. It is not necessarily good for you. Other than that, it works well.

Another trick is to heat the oil out of the wood. Use your heat gun on the affected area and blot it up with a paper towel.

Michael
Old 03-12-2004, 11:29 PM
colesifer3d314

cool...thanx mike, hows the giant scale racing goin?
Old 03-13-2004, 07:20 PM
basmntdweller

K2R is the best stuff I've used. It's not available in several states. Something about environmental/health issues. It is not available for sale here in Indiana but I have found it on the web and bought it that way. I'vee tried heating it out and it gets most but covering still doesn't stick well after that treatment. I've never had any trouble getting covering to stick after K2R.
basmntdweller
Old 03-13-2004, 07:57 PM
colesifer3d314

yea...i used K2R and it took care of the problem with a quikness...

Cole
Old 03-14-2004, 02:29 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

cool...thanx mike, hows the giant scale racing goin?

The K2R is definitely a better way of removing oil, but obviously has some health concerns. The oil soaked method works to some extent as mentioned. thin CA usually helps seal things fairly well for those bad spots.

As far as giant scale racing, I haven't been doing too much in the last two years. Lost my Gr-7 practicing last March and was too busy starting a business and working on some UAV projects. We're developing a new F1 kit right now and I hope to race again this year.

Michael
Old 03-14-2004, 10:26 AM
colesifer3d314

sorry to hear about ur GR-7...they are a real great plane and fly like a dream...i remember watching "Opus" fly at rabbit dry lake with my dad and boy was it ever a dream.

Hope the new kit comes out good and competitive.

And yes...K2R does have some health risks but it is the best way to fix oil soaked balsa to my knowledge.

Cole