Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

428, what plane to fly

Old 06-25-2002, 10:59 PM
Tom02
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 428, what plane to fly

I am a 424 guy looking to move up to 428 and I'm in a debate on which plane to buy. Either the Vortex, the Neme-Q, the Bird of Prey, or the GI8U2. I've heard good things about all of them, and I've had the chance to see all 4 of them in the same contest, but I am unsure of what plane is the "best".

Thanks

Tom
Old 06-26-2002, 01:07 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

The Vortex has won the Nats the last two years and set the last two fast time records (randt Bridge, and now Travis Flynn), so it would have to be up there on the list. It is also the most expensive at $600. However, the people who have them all love the way they fly.

The Vortex has a fully symmetrical wing, while the NEME-Q ($450) and the new Bird of Prey ($375) have some camber in them.

I just listed the GI8U2 ($125) on the web site, and don't know a lot about it other than what Jon told me about it and what is on their web site.

Shoulder wing V-tails have become the common planform because of aerodynamic and other advantages that Duane Gall enumerated in a R/C Pylon Racing column in Model Aviation sometime in the last year or two.

But the Baker's have done pretty well with their plane. Since you have access to Steve and their plane at a low cost, and you will probably tear up a few in the jump to 428, it is an option.

Bill Vargas has gone into the 1:0x range with his new Racer II (which I've only seen in pictures). Or were you flying a Vortex, Bill?.

Check out your options on PylionWorld.com on the Q-500 Planes page.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:11 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default How much $

My opinion is, "how much money do you wanna spend?".

All of the planes listed will be great 428 racers, but you are talking about a pretty wide $ envelope.

Gi8u2 (I've seen it fly at the last 2 nats, but have never personally flown one, it seems competitive) $125

Bird of Prey $375

Neme-Q $400+

Vortex $500+

These are just rough pricing breakdowns, but there is a pretty wide cost gap here. For a first time 428 racer, I'd stick with the lower cost options... I also wouldn't rule out a few other planes including the Hurricane, Racer II, Margarita, and Mad Dog which are all around a $100-$125..
Old 06-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Tom02
My Feedback: (3)

I'm not an experienced builder and while $125 for a GI8U2 sounds cheap i've talked around and it seems that it will cost anywhere between 250-300 dollars to have it built. So now I'm back up there w/ the price of a Neme-Q. A low price kit does sound good, but if I have to build the thing or pay someone else to then I might as well get something really good.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racing Cost

Tom, Its all a matter of,,, Getting what you paid for and what works for you. Some like to build and there's the I got to have it NOW!

I personally like to build,,, Reason,,, I can always change something on the next one that I build,,, wether its a small thing or a major thing. So don t get discouraged, its a learning curve thing on how to make these little Racers Go Fast.

Another thing to think about,,, You can have the Fastest Balsa or Composite plane,,, least expensive or the most expensive plane out there,,, and if you don t practice,,, Then who's to blame

BV
Old 06-26-2002, 02:12 PM
R.Bridge

What about Mike Delponte? I'm sure you can still get a "Revolution" as well. I think they used to be about $125, and I'm sure he would frame it up for not too much more.

You guys are all correct in all your comments. Bottom line is always "money".. Just like the majority of racing. If it were me and I wanted a composite, I would probably lean towards the "Bird of Prey". Then maybe the "NemeQ". But dropping the big dollars on a plane like my dads "Vortex", I'd wait until you are really comfortable in the air.

Almost forgot, don't forget about the "V-Max". Tim Lawlor is still building planes, I just went flying with him this last weekend. We tested his revised Q40...all went well..

Good Luck, and above all...HAVE FUN !

Randy Bridge
Team JR
Old 06-26-2002, 02:48 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Randy,

What kind of Q-40 does Tim have? A Miss Ashley II is what I see on the list. Is he going to be selling them. If so, let him know to send me the info so I can get it up on PW.

Tom,

The V-Max has interesting detachable V tail panels and is painted in the mold like the NEME-Q.

If you don't have painting equipment, I would go for a NEME-Q over a Bird of Prey. I just went through buying painting equipment ... now I'm wondering if I should have just bought NEME-Q's, V-Max's, or Vortex's.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:33 PM
MikeyD

I have flown all of these planes with the exception of the Vortex. I agree with Randy B. How Much do you wanna spend? and what value is it to you.

What ever plane you choose I'm sure you will be quite happy. There are not to many planes on the market that will stay readily available unless they can perform.

I learned a tip from Grunk many years ago that I will always remember, make sure you take care of the simple things so you can concentrate on dynamic elements of flying.

What he meant was make sure your plane is straight!! sounds like a gimme right? You would be amazed let me tell you. Also setup don't be afraid to experiment with the CG...what works for the plane and what works for you (not your buddy). Radio setup what expo % to use, how much throw, what kind of trim, again don't be afraid to experiment. Your engine needle setting will make or break you in a heat, what about props and tempature (humidity)? and of course one little thing your ability for your brain to control your thumbs. I believe if you can champion all of the things just mentioned, you can take any approved Q500 plane that doesn't way 6lbs and be a contender to win on any given day.

Don't get me wrong these things are simple things you can do, but they can take sometime to accomplish. Experience will be the best measure.

TC
Mike DeNeve
Old 07-10-2002, 03:57 AM
aseaholm

Default Q

If you were to start from scratch, what set-up would YOU buy to get back into Q-500.

I flew some Quickee and F-1 in the '90's. What kind of time differences are gained by X100 dollars?

I need some incentive to invest $1500 just to get a couple Quickees ready to rock with AAC Nelsons and composite airframes.

Which Q-500 is Larson producing?
Old 07-10-2002, 09:13 AM
Ed Smith

The only time difference you will notice with a composite airplane is building time. Composite airplanes do not address a speed issue. The same airplane built in the "Conventional" manner will fly just as true and just as fast. No more, no less.

You do not have to spend $450 per copy for a quicky airplane. For about $100 in material you can build one yourself.

I have said this many times. This hobby requires expenditures of time, effort and money in various amounts. Spend any less of one of these items and you will have to spend more of one or two of the others.

Ed S
Old 07-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Bill Vargas

Default Q500 listing

Tick, Lyle is producing The Bird of Prey.

A listing of Quickee's can be veiwed www.pylonworld.com If you happen to be in the Muncie area next week for the Nats, I'm sure you will find a deal or two on some Kits or RTF planes

BV
Old 07-10-2002, 12:55 PM
aseaholm

Thanks for the info fellas.

Bill V.,

I'm headed for Muncie this afternoon. I noticed Pylon and Combat will be going on about the same time. I'll have to scope out the latest technology when there's a break in the Combat action.

I would love to get back into going fast and turning left...
Old 07-10-2002, 01:48 PM
Bill Vargas

Default Quickee's

Tick, OK I'll see you there,,, just look for the plane on the left

BV
Old 07-10-2002, 02:00 PM
R.Bridge

I know I'll be selling at least 2 planes. I'm looking to possible sell my Q500 Vortex (the one I broke the record with) and I would like to sell my Vandetta. My Vandetta has only about 30 flights on it, very nice condition.

See you all in about 4 days....

Randy Bridge
Team JR
Old 07-11-2002, 01:16 AM
daven

Default Planes for Sale

Randy,

Why are you dumping planes?

Do you have a new secret plane in the wings?

Does your Vendetta have the newer Naca 66 airfoil, or Lyles older one? Any chance its green?

I may be interested. Please PM me.