Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

New Scat Cat kit - got a few questions

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

New Scat Cat kit - got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 12:54 PM
cozment
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scat Cat kit - got a few questions

I've got a scat cat kit on the way and I've got a few questions for those of you that have built or flown this plane. I'm not going to do any racing with this plane because we don't have pylon racing in my area (too bad). I just wanted to get that out of the way. My goal is to have a nice but fast sport plane. I like the speed and the aerobatics which is why i was drawn to this plane.
1. I've got a Webra Speed 40 GT engine that's going on this plane with the stock muffler and is using real mccoy #9 glow plugs. What prop would best be suited for this plane/engine combo? What guestimated speed can I get out of this combo?

2. I noticed I'll have the option to add a rudder to this plane. It doesn't sound like you need a rudder on this plane for the Q500 racing but since this plane is going to be used for sport instead of racing, does that change things? I'm not going to be putting a tail wheel on this kit but it will have the normal skid tail dragger combination. I guess for knife edge flight, I would need a rudder. Just looking for some opinions on this.

3. 2.25 racing wheels has also been mentioned for his plane to lighten the load. I'm going to be flying off of grass. I thought about using light foam wheels instead. Good idea or not?

Any other suggestions you may have will help. Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 02:09 AM
pylonrcr

Default RE: New Scat Cat kit - got a few questions

I would convert it over to a rudder system especially if you are going to use it for a sport plane. I owned one of the originals and it was a really good flyer. Mine however was set up to go ballistic. I had a YS 45 and a tuned pipe with a 9X9 apc on it. I didn't race it. However it was fun while it lasted. I also like your idea of using ultra light foamies on it. Mine had the regular quickie wheels on it and there just wasn't enough give to it and it made it a little nerve racking on me. (may have all been in my head) The prop combo is up to you if you want a sport flier use a 10X6 if you want to go like hell use a 9X7 or a 9X6
Old 05-11-2004, 07:55 AM
xjavro85

I built one about 7 or 8 years ago and still fly it almost everytime I go to the field. I have an old OS 46 SF with a pipe on it and a 10x6 apc. The combo makes it a very good sport model plus it goes like a rocket. I built it with a rudder. Since I wasn't going to do any racing and just use it for sport flying, I made split elevators, made them look similar to the old ultra sport elevators and then made a rudder that extended all the way to the bottom of the fuselage. It will do almost anything you want it to, although I think I ay take the pipe off because pipes make engines run like crap in the midrange and for a sport model its nice to have a good running engine throughout the rpm range. I hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:05 PM
CadFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

If any of you guys are interested I have a ARF Scat Cat for sale. All it needs is the wingtips, elevator and ailerons covered.
Cadflyer
[email protected]
Old 05-26-2004, 11:05 PM
djlyon

I've got one I still sport fly with a very old Webra 40 speed with a muffled pipe. Great for fast sport flying and fun acrobatics. diffenently put a rudder on it. I use a 9/7 apc. It provides more than enough vertical acceleration.