Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Legal Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 02:31 AM
Gomil1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal Engine

I have a question,
According to the AMA rule book,in 424 racing,you are not allowed to use an ABC engine or a schneurle ported engine.I beleive the THUNDER TIGER 40 falls into this category,so that would make it illegal,wouldnt it.I am quoting from a 2001 rule book or has it changed in 2002,please correct me if I am wrong . Jim Rogers
Old 07-17-2002, 02:26 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default TT .40 Pro legal?

Jim,

I believe you are referring to this paragraph in the AMA 424 rules:

2) Prohibited Features: Typically these include Schneurle porting and ABC/AAC metallurgy.
This is from section 16.3.3 "Special Provisions" under b. "Rule variations permitted:" Source = Pylon Rules

This rule is an example of rule variations that may be in effect in different parts of the nation depending upon local rules. Some regions disallow the use of Schneurle and ABC/AAC engines. To my knowledge, most regions allow the TT .40 Pro and do not use this optional rule.

What the rulebook is stating is that it really is up to the CD to allow or disallow Schneurle and ABC motors. This rule doesn't prohibit Schneurle/ABC for all AMA sanctioned 424 races; it merely provides this rule as an option to the hosting club/CD.

So, before you go to a race, you should call the CD and make sure your TT .40 Pro-powered quickie is legal.

Good Question!
Old 07-21-2002, 12:07 PM
regis

Default Legal Engine

Then there is the 16.5 K max rpm rule...
Old 07-22-2002, 03:17 AM
js3

Default 16.5?

Regis,

Here is a direct quote from paragraph 16.3.6 of the AMA pylon rules regarding the 16.5k limit...

Power output:Sport Quickie is intended as an entry-level event for pilots who are new to racing. As such, it is not a suitable event for the use of engines that come with tuned mufflers or otherwise are capable of turning a stock 9 x 6 APC propeller at over 16,500 rpm on the ground. If engines more powerful than this are to be used at a contest, the contest should be sanctioned as Quickie 500 (Event No. 428), not Sport Quickie.
Crystal clear yet quite ambiguous don't you think? The rule doesn't specifically state that motors used in 424 will not rev higher than 16.5k; just that those that do should be flown in 428 (against Jetts and Nelsons--yeah right!). To me this rule reads more like a suggestion and should be included with the other suggested rules in that section of the 424 rules.

We all know that it's not too hard to get a Thunder Tiger to turn more than 16.5 with an APC 9 X 6. I know of at least one club that ups the RPM limit to 17k and I suspect that the CD of of this club has raised the limit because of the TT .40 Pro. It's easier to raise the limit than to tach everyone on the starting line!

IMO , entry level pylon is a mess but the AMA 424 rules are the best we have at this time.

It all comes down to local rules. What are the guys "over there" allowing?
Old 07-22-2002, 02:54 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 16.5?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by js3
[B]Regis,

IMO , entry level pylon is a mess but the AMA 424 rules are the best we have at this time.

A mess indeed, Here you have a situation where a set of national rules exist and they are under a reasonable two year rule cycle that absolutly nobody pays any attention to. The fact that Gomil has obviously gone to the trouble to study the 'rules' and is still in the dark is a ridiculous situation. May I submit that this is the common experiance of every one who makes the attempt to enter the sport through this so called entry class which is actually not much more than a political football for the oldtimers.

The Rules cycle are in place so people can plan their racing but this is impossible in 424 major changes seem to occur from race to race and within even the same so called regional rules and at the whim of some mystery leader. It gets a little old being financially burned by this 'class' at each new whim of that mystery rule writer.

John