Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Shipping planes/equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shipping planes/equipment?

I am considering flying to a future race. What are the options for shipping the planes and supporting equipment? If you have experience with airlines, Greyhound, Amtrack, UPS, USPS, etc., please pass it along. Also, what type of boxes/crates are suitable?

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 08-05-2004, 04:35 PM
John Z Williams Jr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shipping planes/equipment?

You named them all, ups and Fed-ex are fairly cheap, but Fed ex will not cover damage to an airplane, they consider this unassumed liability and will not be held responsible if lost, stolen or damaged!!! Duane and I found that out the hard way! His tail was broken on the trip to Phoenix, would not cover it... I have heard Priority Mail will cover damage as Tim Lawler's wings were covered after bing damaged.... Mike D P. has a good set of plans for a wooden crate that works well and is enough to hold up to 5 airplanes, I used that to go to the nats in 2003... Worked great and made it in 3 days on Greyhound!!! only cost 27.00 bucks....
It was made from 1by 1 as frame for wall panneling 1/4" or smaller if you can get it, I got all the wood I needed for about 35.00 bucks and that includes the 2.00 handel.... Other options are cardboard boxes packed well or ski cases to take on the plane with you...
shipping is nice because you do not have to worry about it when you go to the airport, all boxed and shipped back home by that point... Hope that helps John