Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Q500 info

Old 08-08-2004, 04:59 PM
FlyHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q500 info

I just bought a used Q500 with a Jett engine on it. It a low winged plane with a V tail. The way it is set up it has no rudder mixing just elevator, is this normal. The servos are mini's and I doubt have more the 40 oz torque. I know the surfaces are small and have little throw but these seem weak to me. There isn't any racing near me so this will be just a fast sport plane. The Jett engine is a .46 on a pipe. What plug,prop and fuel should I use. TIA.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:35 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Q500 info

Mini servos are typically use in both classes of Q-500 and do fine usually a micro is used on the throttle. Electronic mixing is done in the Tx not the airplane. Does your airplane have two servos with separate pushrods going back to the two ruddavators?

John
Old 08-09-2004, 03:30 PM
FlyHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 2 rods going to the rear but they have been joined at the front to a single servo. I will add a servo and do the mixing in the Tx. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:59 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK definately not rulebook for racing which does require some form of rudder control. If you are going to just sport fly then you can go without the rudder mix. However do not try to do throttle up take offs. Always have a helper hold in t/o position as you throttle up and only have him release after the engine is fully spooled up. The airplane will be off in a very few feet.

Having said that since it is already set up for two servos then you will get a lot more enjoyment buy just adding a servo and tweeking the mix. Also you will find a Quickee very difficult to land with an ideling engine. The best technique is to just cut the engine high and just drive on home. Most will float forever with the engine ideling.

John