Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

New Place to Race?? Working on it.....

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

New Place to Race?? Working on it.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:43 AM
diggs_74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Place to Race?? Working on it.....

Ok District 5 guys, I'm currently working a deal for an additional place to race all classes(424, 428, 422).... I need to get some feedback from you guys in the 'now' as to the layout of the field... To start the area I'm planning on putting the field is about 250 acres of wide open farm land. I scetched up a basic layout for everyone to check out and tell me what they think. I am located in North Western WI about an hour East of the NCPL guys. Please feel free to let me know if anyone would be interested at all.... If nothing else I'll set it up for practice for my first NATS next year

Here's the layout:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76450.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	176469  
Old 09-24-2004, 08:36 AM
StregaFlyer

Default RE: New Place to Race?? Working on it.....

Lee, what town will this field be at???
Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 AM
aseaholm
My Feedback: (1)

Lee,

I will definitely support your event here in KC. My brother will likely be flying 428 by next year as well.

The field layout looks great to me. I'm assuming it will be a grass field? Do the 422 planes handle grass very well?

Keep up the good work.

A.J. Seaholm
www.TEAMseaholm.com
NMPRA - 17v
Old 09-24-2004, 08:44 AM
diggs_74

It would be north of Baldwin, WI about 12 miles..... A decent haul for you guys I know, but I have plenty of places to park a camper or pitch a tent..... Everyone will be welcome. My main thing is to see how many would be interested in a few races next year.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:48 AM
diggs_74

I've seen them (Q40) fly off grass without too much trouble... The first few events will likely be 424 and 428 until everything gets ironed out. I'm hoping I can get some assistance from the NCPL guys on running the first couple events. Hint, hint
Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 AM
splatt

You must be talking about Freedom field. Sounds like a good time, I was there this past summer. Seems like enough space. You can camp there, or stay in town. Sounds like a winner, I'm there.

Will the landlord let you use all that space. It's corn now. How much work to get all the old corn flat and useable. Did the landlord plant it himself or lease it out

The AMA book and web site has guide lines for set backs all that fun stuff.

Build it and we will come....
Old 09-24-2004, 09:59 AM
diggs_74

Actually Splatt, this is about 7 miles east of Freedom Field at my house.... I have even more room there and don't have any houses to contend with except my mother-in-laws and thats probably 300 yards or so away. It's flatter and I can do what I want with it. Freedom Field is great for sport flying but with the water and houses I don't think I would want to try to race there.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are a brave man Lee
Will you be runing 424 as per AMA rules or the NCPL ???
I could not tell by the diagram if you have the required distance from pit area to pylons I think it is 300 ft
Don't forget the insurance requirements for the landowner
Be great if you get it done
Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 AM
diggs_74

Al,

I have not yet decided on the 424 rules yet.... As far as the AMA insurance goes I haven't been in contact with anyone yet to see what the costs are. If I could only pay for insurance when there is a race or if I would have to pay for the whole year. The drawing isn't exactly to scale but I figure it would be at least 400' from the pits to the line. Luckily for everyone I've got a 4 wheeler and trailor to haul everyone out there. Heck, that's better than the NATS this year...... Like I said earlier, I'm just trying to get a feel for how many would be interested and would drive over to Cheesehead land to race... I would hate to schedule an event and only have 10 guys show up or something. That wouldn't be worth all the dirt I'll have to eat to get the field ready. I would like to plan a 422 race because I don't think there is one anywhere close other than the NATS. Like I said, space isn't really and issue.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:51 AM
splatt

422, 422, I want 422
Old 09-24-2004, 01:03 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

422 would be great, but I doubt you would get 10 people for a race. There are only about 6 of us locally (Jerry, Jerry, Jesse, Phil, Pat, and Me) that have them and fly them. I'm not sure of anyone in Wisconsin that currently flies 422.

It would really have to be well done with lights, timers, lots of helpers and a professionally run race to draw a more than 10 in 422. Getting to that point would probably take a couple of years and word of mouth. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I would suggest starting out with a 424 race and try to get the Wisconsin and Illinois 424 races to duke it out with the Minnesotans.

You could have an East vs Best battle

The only problem there is that we are running the O.S. .46fx/ax and they are running mostly Thunder Tiger .40s.....
Old 09-24-2004, 01:34 PM
diggs_74

A good running show is where you guys with the experience come in.... I guess I wasn't thinking of doing anything to formal with the 422, but anyone that wanted to practice on the 608' coarse would be more than welcome. I guess I was mostly looking at 424/428. I'm not sure what I would do about the 424 engine rule. I wouldn't really want to do a double matrix and just go total points because you wouldn't race against anyone different.... I'll have to ponder that over the winter... Any suggestions would be great.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:01 PM
StregaFlyer

I use to fly QM's off grass all the time.. Just gotta hold a lil bit more elevator on take off and it's fine... I'm all for some 422 racing in the area.. I gotta finish 3 QM's this winter and a few Q500's and i'll be there.. Don't know how much time I'll have once November gets here with me coaching HS basketball that keeps me bust from November till darn near April.. Now I just gotta get my old man's racing juice flowing again and have him leave them big planes alone.. If ya do the 424 with the Thunder Tigers you'll get probably 15-20 contestants... Also I'm gonna contact our old racing buddy Glen and try getting him back into it since he's no longer racing 4 wheelers...
Old 09-24-2004, 02:11 PM
diggs_74

The more the merrier..... I don't know how many of the local guys would by a new engine to race with even if they are only $70... Like I said, I'll have to think on that one. It's nice to know that people would be interested.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:42 PM
kenthaas1

lee i will fly with you anytime bud name the place i will be there hope to see you on sat bud bring it i will