Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Newbie flies Dominator 500 and loves it!

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Newbie flies Dominator 500 and loves it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Richardfast
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie flies Dominator 500 and loves it!

I am the person so many of you helped out with advice on building and setting up a Dominator 500 for AMA 424. Well.... I flew it this morning and I am very happy with the results. The building went well, also.

1. TT 40 at 16300 with a APC 9X6 is sweet and just purrs at a low idle.
2. Only two clicks pull and three clicks left aileron and she flies straight and level wide open.
3. Weight came out between 3.5 and 4 lbs (digital scale is in 1/2 lb increments).
4. This baby moves out. Using a measured 300 ft section and an accurate stop watch, my buddies and I consistently clocked 110 mph +/- 5 mph.
5. I used an HS 225 on the elevator and HS-81's on each aileron, rudder and throttle.
6. I built the plane exactly according to plans. Only problem was trailing edge material was badly warped and had to be replaced at LHS. I had to add about 1/2 oz of lead to the left wing tip for lateral balance. CG came out perfect with battery pack at trailing edge of the wing (250 mha NCd pack).
7. I do not have the best eyesight (age!) and that is a problem when the plane is coming directly at me and below the distant trees. I am going to try some international orange on the leading edge. Complete aircraft is red with the whole top wing white.
8. Takeoffs are uneventful and landings are easy. With low wing loading (about 18 oz/ft2) she does want to float.

Thanks to everyone for the help and good advice. Now it is time for a lot of practice turning the pylons.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:55 PM
SSAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie flies Dominator 500 and loves it!

Richardfast,

We're glad you enjoy your newly built Quickie. Welcome to excitement of Pylon Racing world! Get lots of practices and you will do just fine.

Not to spoil the fun, but for safety reasons, I would recommend (since you're using two servos) using the HS85's rather than the HS81. The HS81 that I've use for throttle on my 428 Quickies all failed after a while. The gear didn't break, but the motor just died. Just a note for safety!