Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

predator - Lost faith in Lanier

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

predator - Lost faith in Lanier

Old 09-05-2002, 09:48 PM
crashland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default predator - Lost faith in Lanier

Hi
I bought a predator kit in Feb a the WRAM show.
I put it together the model per the instructions, and took it to the races and the drones of people pointed out all the known issues with plane, including the wrong degrees on the v-tail, etc...etc.. Such is the learning curve for a newbie...
I have since moved to a V-Weopon and Dominator and looking at a smasher and Intimidator , but the thing bothers me sitting in the corner of the workshop.

I wrote a polite email and submitted it to Lanier and have got no response and it has been a couple of months now..I asked what can be done as the plane does have issues?

Does anyone have a way I can fix this plane, I followed most of the suggestions I read on previous posts. , I reinforced the nose and redid the hold downs?? I guess I am looking for a v-tail? Does anyone provide a v-tail ready to install with the correct degree???? ANd maybe a way to correctly hack off the old one and install the new one straight>>??? < grin>

SInce I have been flying since 1978 I have known a few retailers not to get back to a customer who was sold possibly "test" versions of the plane. I see the new version has many improvements??
I have lost much faith in their comapny and have built a few of the Stingers in the past.
Thanks
Ken aka Crashland
Old 09-05-2002, 11:19 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Predator

The old V-tail, even though it is not the optimum angle, still works fine. I have been flying mine all year (about 5 or 6 races) and it is very competitive and flies good.

My biggest issues with the early release was the firewall, wingholddowns, landing gear block, and wheels.

All pretty minor issues, that lanier has addressed and fixed.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:08 AM
MikeyD

Default V-Tail

Just to reinforce what Dave has said, the V-Tail angle should be fine. I've had planes in the past at 115 and 120 degrees. That alone should not keep you from flying the plane, it will be as competitive as the new ones that are at 110.

Mikey D
Old 09-06-2002, 01:34 AM
A4HawkPilot
My Feedback: (3)

I bought one of the older versions and it flew awsome. I didn't have to do anything to it until I lost my ailerons servo mid flight and had to set it down in a plowed field. That gave me the chance to beef up the firewall and landing gear since they both ripped out. Then I bought another one (newer version) and it flies just as good. I can keep right up with anyone in my class. Sure your firewall and landing gear will pop out if you set it down too hard..that happens to every other airplane too! Quite a few other guys also fly predators in my class as well. Only time I ever saw anything happen to them is when they smack them down on the ground.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:46 PM
PJ_TankPilot

Default Old VS New

I prefer the old ones to the 'New improved'. I beef up the new ones as much as I did the old ones and the new ones have horrible covering. I don't know what it is but it's the worst plastic shrink film I've ever dealt with.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:11 PM
splatt

Default too bad...

... you couldn't of kicked those drone butts. When those predators first came out one of our hot shot pilots went to Flordia to attend college and showed up at a race down there and proceded to win both days and set some kind of record there. Get that model going and practice, practice, practice
Old 09-08-2002, 03:10 PM
crashland

Default THANK YOU ALL.

I knew i could get the straight info here.

Thanks again, will not listen to the naysayers and get it back in the air.
Still think would have been nice to hear from Lanier.

Everyone is telling me practice , practice practice.

HOW DO you do this?
Three areas clubs are not fond of me flying around my self. Even my main club I belong to gives me grief about practicing ....??

Ken
Old 09-09-2002, 12:08 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Ken,

The best way to get practice in is to go when nobody else is there. That may be hard to do at you field. It may mean getting up early on the weekend or flying near dark. Or flying before or after work.

At one club I belong to, they let me have the pylons up all the time when the farmer of the surrounding area doesn't have a crop growing.

You want the pylons as far out as possible. If the club doesn't have any, check out my design on PylonWorld or Michael Luvara's design in General Racing Discussion. If you can put some sleeves in the ground, I can post a design on PylonWorld.com that is for a permanent installation.

You have to have some real pylons up to get good practice, IMHO.

If you have RealFlight G2, check out the Simulator Racing section on PW. I have a field and planes that are pretty decent for practicing. Unfortunately I can't even get much time on the sim right now.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:11 PM
crashland

Thanks Don ,
Looks like getting up early and staying till after everyone leaves is the best.
Sat and Sun we had a Pattern contest at our Bridgwater , MA field. I waited till that was over and the regular club memebers left and still had an hour to practice , practice , practice...
Taking the four wing bolts out in the dark was fun..<grin>

And thanks again for getting back to me on my hotmail account on the smasher.
Great stuff all around.
Ken
Old 09-10-2002, 12:26 PM
splatt

Default fun weekend

This past weekend the NCPL had a 428 race at our sod farm facility. I had a chance to race the best pilots and the best equipment that can be had with my Predator and a 3yr. old Nelson. From what I can see the only thing that kept me out of the winner's circle was the fact that the big guns were able to turn 9.25 pitch while I struggled with 8.75. My model was able to do the same job as the big dollar ships. Fun ,fun, fun
Old 09-10-2002, 03:22 PM
SSAN

Splatt,

Could you post the top five contect result?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 09-10-2002, 03:59 PM
splatt

Default check it out

here's a link to the results page for this past week end. We don't have timers due to lack of help. So we just go by finshing order and cut count. Feel free to check out the rest of the ncpl's web page

http://www.ncplracing.org/AMA090702.HTM
Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
iamgybo

Default RE: predator - Lost faith in Lanier

Can anyone tell me what to expect on the first flight of the Predator II (Good Pilot, never flew V-Tail or Q-500) Thanks,
Gybo
Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 PM
skull1971

Default RE: predator - Lost faith in Lanier

do you have a throttle?? if yes just pull it back a bit till you get a handle on it. They fly pretty good havent found any bad surpises with mine.