Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Nelson top side fuel nipple

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Nelson top side fuel nipple

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 07:53 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson top side fuel nipple

I first saw this at the last Winterfest race, and thought that it was a heck of a good idea. It keeps the fuel line up away farther from the dirt, and it also keeps the fuel line away from the throttle barrel, where it seems to get in the way when trying to fully close.

So, of course I had to order one. My only concern, is that its kinda tricky to get the fuel line on the nipple (its tucked in tight to the engine and doesn't have a lot to grab on to), you will definately need a fuel line coupler somewhere between the nipple and the tank to make fueling easier.

I've been told this has been available for quite some time, but was the first I saw it. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16961.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	232761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70023.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	232762  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Nelson top side fuel nipple

Anybody who uses that type of needle valve has taken leave of their senses. Why anybody would want to grab hold of a needle valve that close to a 19,000+rpm meat grinder is totally beyond me. Get a remote needle!

Ed S
Old 02-22-2005, 06:30 AM
luv to race

You'll like this one Ed. We needle our MB40 FAI motors at 30K with the needle up front, and being that you made FAI props for me before... well, you know what those things would do to you. It's a bit scary!

Hey DN... looks good man. Travis has been using those for about a year or so. I don't run them, after he said one broke off in his hand (it was probably a defect)... They look pretty cool though, and yes Travis runs a filter as a splitter in the line.

smoke.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Ed Smith

Randy,

When I molded your props for you I ensured they had an extra sharp leading edge. As I was doing them I was giggling like a maniac in anticipation of the butchery that will one day happen!!

Ed S
Old 02-22-2005, 08:41 AM
luv to race

They were sharp, and they worked awesome. I suppose we will be seeing you this weekend?

RB
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 AM
diggs_74

Hey Dave, do you know if those are availible to replace the old style spray bar? If so, who would I call to get one? I just hate trying to work the throttle cable around the fuel line/nipple.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:27 AM
bl10

Performance Specialities or Nelson.

Barry
Old 02-22-2005, 09:39 AM
diggs_74

I need to order a couple shim sets from Performance Specialties anyway, so I guess I'll have to get a couple.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:38 AM
daven

Yes, you can buy the valve assembly by itself. I just thought it would look better on a new engine.

www.pspec.com
Old 02-22-2005, 01:13 PM
RANIERY
My Feedback: (3)

hey, dave the seekers ruled this weekend on 424. by the way i'm still waitnig for my wing tips[>:]
Old 02-22-2005, 02:18 PM
daven

Raniery, glad the plane is still going good for you. I sent you a PM in regards to the wing tips.

Thanks,
Old 02-22-2005, 04:49 PM
garys

Ed, I've been using these needle assemblies for almost two years, and still haven't got my finger in one. Actually, in 25+ years of modeling, the only time my hand went through a prop, it started at the fin as I was launching Rusty's Q40....A remote needle wouldn't have done squat for me...
GS
Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 AM
aseaholm

Okay Gary, I'll bite. How did you get your hand in the prop on launch with your hand on the fin? I've been trying to envision it for a couple days now. Please type slowly and diectly into the keyboard, I'm pretty hopped up on Phoenix adrenaline right now...
Old 02-23-2005, 11:13 AM
bl10

AJ:
Invision this.
Gary is calling for Rusty who is in the hunt. Gary is going to give the launch all he has. The tail skid is caught in a crack on the runway. Gary pushes the plane but it doesn’t move. His hand slid up the fuse into the prop. The rest is history.

Barry
Old 02-23-2005, 11:28 AM
daven

Ouch, but I bet that remote needle would have been positioned perfectly to have blocked his hand before he hit the prop

Just kidding Ed.

I think the remote needle is a good idea, and I had one on my first Nelson. When I first started tuning these, that prop scared the crap out of me. Now I've just learned to respect it, and be very carefull, and move slowly and deliberately when using these types of engines. I would still recommend it to anyone starting out in 428.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:47 AM
diggs_74

Dido on the scared part... The last prop I got into was only a .25 and hacked the crap out of my finger.... I can't imagine what one of these would do. Like Dave said, very delibrate movements anywhere around the nose of the plane.... Fear is good
Old 02-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Ed Smith

Like Dave said, very delibrate movements anywhere around the nose of the plane.... Fear is good
In theory it sounds great. However, wait for that moment when there is just five seconds left on the clock and the engine splutters. Forget "Slow deliberate movements" grab the needle and start cranking. Just watch the red stuff flow then!

Ed S
Old 02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
garys

Ed,

It's in those cases that I'm not sure how much the remote needle actually will help. Most the people I've seen get fingers in the prop actually run their hands through the prop from the front, not from the needle. When people are excited, they do all kinds of stupid things.

As far as my accident, Barry summed it up pretty well. It looked a lot worse than it was. Lots of blood at first, but ultimately only four stiches on the tip of one finger for one cut, and some minor cuts that barely broke the skin on two other fingertips. Looked like there were about 6 prop strikes total. It was just really strange watching me run my hand by the prop in slow motion, trying to figure out what was happening...

GS
Old 02-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Ed Smith

It's in those cases that I'm not sure how much the remote needle actually will help. Most the people I've seen get fingers in the prop actually run their hands through the prop from the front, not from the needle. When people are excited, they do all kinds of stupid things.
Horror of Horrors!! You actually position yourself in FRONT of the prop and reach around it??. I start and adjust mine from behind. Talk to "One eyed Duane" he will describe the results of the face in line with a prop.

I am unashamedly preaching here. I am preaching nothing but safety and I get an argument. Why is that?

Ed S
Old 02-23-2005, 04:17 PM
diggs_74

Ed, I don't think anyone here would argue that safety isn't priority #1 when dealing with a 2.5+hp meat grinder. I think they're just saying that a remote needle valve won't cure most of the hurry up accidents (probalby 90%) that happen. You said it yourself, when there's 5 seconds left on the clock people put their hands/body is stupid places.... I'll say it again, FEAR has kept me safe, in regards to the racing stuff anyway....
Old 02-23-2005, 05:02 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

I was actually behind ... just not far enough behind. I now use the "cower, crouch, and reach" method.

Quasimodo
Old 02-23-2005, 05:32 PM
garys

Ed, I'm not arguing with you. I simply stated that most of the accidents are when people are in a hurry, which leads to doing things out of the ordinary.
GS
Old 02-23-2005, 09:26 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith
I start and adjust mine from behind. Talk to "One eyed Duane" he will describe the results of the face in line with a prop.
Ed S

Ed Certainly no issues with adjusting from behind and avoiding the propellor tip path plane, but just how do you start it from behind?

John
Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Ed Smith

Ed Certainly no issues with adjusting from behind and avoiding the propellor tip path plane, but just how do you start it from behind?
I stand over the wing. Hold the fuselage just in front of the cockpit. Reach down and start the engine. My face is always behind the engine. Once it starts my fingers are always behind the engine.

In an actual race situation my partner and I do not touch the needle on our own airplanes. We start them and walk away. The caller adjusts the remote needle from behind the engine to it's predetermined position. What could easier or safer?

Ed S
Old 02-23-2005, 10:15 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Staying out of line with the prop sounds good in theory, but what about the other 3 airplanes lined up with you? There is a degree of risk here, perhaps eye protection is a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.