Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Thunder Tiger case needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Alabama Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger case needed.

A backplate screw broke off on one of my TT .40 engines. Of course, it is too far down inside the hole to have any hope of removing the remains of the screw. Does anyone have a crankcase they would like to sell? Or a toasted engine that has a good case?
Alternatively, from whom do you order TT parts?
My engine was new, had not even been started yet. javascript:void(AddText('[:@]'))
javascript:void(AddText('[:@]'))
Thanks,
Brad Clayton
Old 03-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thunder Tiger case needed.

Brad, TT Pro's number is,,, +1-(949)833-0088 and the website is www.thundertiger.com

BV
Old 03-12-2005, 01:35 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Why wouldn't you send it in for warranty?
Old 03-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Alabama Racer

I bought this engnie off e-bay. Even tho it has never been run, it is several years old. It has the old style needle that is straight, not slanted back. When I broke the bolt, I was putting on a square backplate, had to tighten pretty heavilly to get it to seat. I don't want to ask them to warranty something that was my mistake.
Thanks for the replies, I will keep looking and come up with something.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:21 AM
RANIERY
My Feedback: (3)

hey, if you don't find one let me know i know a friend that has a couple of then he my want to sell them
Old 03-14-2005, 12:53 AM
[email protected]

Hey, its more than likely you can drill the bolt out.......its not that difficult! Get the right size taping drill and give it a go. Make certain the motor is held with care but steady in a vice. Give it a go- because its not difficult. If you lived close by I would do it for you, but I am in New Zealand. good luck ttrevor h
Old 03-14-2005, 01:56 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad, have you tried using a jewlers screwdriver inserted into the hole with the broken screw? Sometimes when a bolt breaks off, like in your case, there's a burr on it that just might be big enough for the screwdriver to catch on to thus permitting it to be backed out. You may also want to apply a little bit of heat with a heat gun to make the broken screw come out a little easier,,, but if you think that screw bottomed out when it broke, chances are it ain t coming out.

Another idea,,, as you said, "it is too far down inside the hole,,," try a shorter screw and if you can get at least 3-4 threads into the hole, you should be ok(Use your dremel to make the replacement screw shorter). Just make sure the backplate is fully seated before torquing down the screws

BV
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Alabama Racer

I tried using a very small screwdriver to try to back out the remains. However, it is bottomed out and the burr/jagged edge is pointed the wrong direction - if I wanted to get it tighter, might have some success. When I try to drill it out, the bit just wants to walk - small bit is not stiff enough to keep from moving around. A machinist with better tools & skills would probably succeed. Anyway, there are 3 or 4 threads remaining above the broken stud, I will try Bills suggestion & see if that will hold.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Mikey D

You can ask Darrol Cady? A few years ago he offered a service to remove broken screws from cases. I believe he used an acid that did not attack aluminum. I don't think he does it now, but maybe he can tell you the supplier.

If all else fails. I have a case for you for a small fee

Mike DeNeve
Old 03-14-2005, 10:11 PM
garys

I'm pretty sure it was nitric acid. You may be able to do a search on the net and find out more about it, and where to get it.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can get a good, small bit (about half the diameter of the bolt) to actually drill in, an EZ out works well...

Unfortunately, getting bolts out of cases is pretty tough to do.

Michael
Old 03-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Ed Smith

Aw c'mon now Mike. A backplate screw is about 1/8" dia if that. The broken end will be all rough. Try drilling a toughened screw with a 1/16 dia drill bit. The drill will wander off to one side and for sure will destroy what is left of the tapped hole. I have a set of screw extractors, the smallest one in the set recommends a 5/64 drill. So called EZ-outs are Ok for larger screws but for the screws in our engine crankcases, forget it

The acid used is Nitric Acid. The acid attacks the carbon in the steel and the screw collapses. It will not attack the aluminum. For a source try an industrial welding supply house.

Ed S
Old 03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Alabama Racer

I looked closer and there is only 1 thread that is not covered by the broken stud. That is not enough to hold the backplate. Will look into the nitric acid or check w Mike about buying his case.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:12 AM
diggs_74

No offense, but it sounds like a lot of work for a $70 engine... Maybe if it was a Nelson but a 40 TT... Keep it for parts and get a new one, no hazorous chemicals needed