Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Q 500 getting started

Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM
grubs4flyn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q 500 getting started

Hello everyone.. I just thought I'd post something that I hope has not previously been discussed to death. I didn't see anything in the recent history, but I'm sure there are some other than me wanting info about getting started in Q 500 racing. I' ve never competed other than fun flying with club members, mostly because of other interest or lack of money. I have the opportunity now to invest or throw away some resources toward something I've always wanted to do. Trouble is that nobody locally has any interest in racing other than two guys that compete in giant scale pylon. I always liked the quickies and would rather start there. I've built several years ago, Spicklers, and my favorite was the Scat Cat kits (I still have one flying with a K&B 40 if you believe that). According to what I read, this plane will be nothing more than a hazard in today's heats. Basically my question is how do I get started ? Does anyone know of a club, group, or individual that's within 100 or so miles from RTP NC ? I was hoping to find a mentor type willing to help a newbee get oriented into your sport? I can probably setup a course and begin practicing by myself at our local club, but I can't see how that would prepare anyone for a formal race. I just want to have some fun, learn the ropes, get better, stay out of peoples way, and try not to destroy too much stuff and get frustrated.

Maybe there are less formal events designed to help novice racers get started ? I'm heading to Cleveland for the giant scale race weekend of August 19th to see a formal race for the first time. I figure there is nothing better than to watch and learn from the pros. Anyone going ? shoot me an email, we'll look you up. I look forward to your comments when I get back. Oh, I did order a Viper to get my feet wet, was that a mistake?? What engines are you guys running ? Jetts or Nelsons ? Where do you get props ? wood or comp, pitch and D ? Any comments welcome, links to good sites, vendors, books, videos, etc... Thanks in advance. sorry for the long post.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Q 500 getting started

Try here it may help you.

http://www.nmpra.org/

Click on "NMPRA Discussion Forum" at the top left, then General Discussions, Q500 & Q40, then 424 race,October 29th, Summerville, S.C.

Ed S
Old 08-16-2005, 10:13 PM
P. Johnson

Grubs, I know I am going to be ridiculed on my comments, but here goes. The Scat cat is ,and always has been a good flying airplane! If you have one that is trimmed out and you are comfortable with it, fly it. I have seen alot of pictures from different 424 races where people are still using them and doing well. At that speed, the airplane isnt as much of a factor as flying a good course.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Thestorm,

You expect to be ridiculed? Maybe others will, but I agree completely with you. Especially if this is the first attempt at racing. There are other planes that fly faster and there are other planes that land better, but the Scat Cat is a fine airplane to get one's feet wet in racing.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:59 AM
grubs4flyn

Looks like I'll be taking it to Charleston. Thanks Bill for the Info. I love the Internet.... I have a friend that I need to go see down there anyway. A minor repair needed, since I just busted the firewall out of my cat Sunday. I'll re-consider putting it back together rather than trashing it, based on your comments. Can you still get these kits? Don't think I've seen one, but I didn't look all that hard. My new club has grass and it does not like grass landings or takeoffs. Thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
daven

There was a rumor that Lone Star Balsa was running a batch of Skat Kat kits, but I'm not sure if it ever materialized.

Not a lot of actual kits out there.

Should be able to find the Lanier Dominator which flies very good, Bill Vargas is still selling his Racer 2, but that may be it.

Vipers and Predators are just fine for 424 racing.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:31 PM
PJ_TankPilot

>> There was a rumor that Lone Star Balsa was running a batch of Skat Kat kits

I don't know how many they cut but I recently bought one.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:43 PM
grubs4flyn

Thank you guys, just ordered one for $50 bucks. What a deal..... Soon I'll have a viper and a kitty.... whahoo !!!

Still have not heard any feed back on engines. I read somewhere that Thunder Tiger 40 was the only legal engine for Quickie 424? I find that pretty hard to believe. What's the scoop here guys ?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:00 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grubs,

The AMA rule book leaves that as a local option, and most local racing groups either specify the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 or include the Thunder Tiger Pro .40 on a list of approved engines. But if you plan to race in Charleston, the best thing would be to check with the folks in Charleston just to make sure.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 PM
SCPYLONRACER

grubs4racing,
We have been running the TT-40 for several years with very good results. These engines all run strong, will last several seasons and are only about $75. If you choose the TT-40 there are a few things you should do to the engine before you fly.

1. Remove the spring from behind the carb barrel.
2. Put blue threadlock the barrel retaining screw.
3. Take the o-ring out of the muffler and JB weld the two half’s of the muffler together.
4. Break-in with 9-4 APC for 3 tanks rich.
5. Practice

If you come down to the Charleston race we will find a class for you regardless what engine "Sport" you have. If you have any questions please let me know.

Bill
Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Predators are discontinued, I'm sure there are some to be found but when they're gone, they're gone.
Having built both I would take a Viper over a Predator anyday.

The Dominator kit is ok but I can get heavy if you don't replace some wood- mine had some oak-like fuselage sides and very heavy wing sheeting which I replaced with lighter stock. I have a Racer ll kit coming- cant wait
Old 08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
[email protected]

these are all very good comments and follow the comments about tt40 engine mods and running in proceedure and you'll have a forever lasting engine. I run my tt46( we are allowed a 46 size capacity here) still with the bolt system thru the muffler, never had one break but I also run with the baffle- I kind of think that stabilises the bolt to stop it breaking. regularly run three tt46 and no broken muffler bolts .
regards trevor h
Old 08-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Vic3D
My Feedback: (19)

I have a few questions: Is a TT 40 enough engine to fly these planes really fast? how much speed can u get out of it? Also, Why do u have to JB Weld the muffler together instead of jut leaving it stock? Would a 46 AX do better?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:08 PM
[email protected]

speed is based on your experience.......tt40 is more than adequate. the tt mufflers have a habit of falling apart generally as a result of the central bolt breaking- caused I believe by three things firstly an out of balasnce prop, maybe a non rigid mount and lastly the bolt has been done up too tight after someone has taken the baffle out. Don't forget we are running the engine/muffler on 9x6 props or simial- producing revs higher than the design intention and any inaccuracy something will break . I have run three tt46 with no problems to the muffler bolt- caresfull balancing of the prop AND spinner, and leave the baffle in regards trevor h
Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 AM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vic3D,

Most sport flyers would consider a TT40-powered Q500 airplane "really fast." Level flight speeds will be around 120-130 mph. Also, it's a fairly small model by today's standards so it will look faster.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 08-30-2005, 11:58 AM
johnnychimpo

I dont think there are many people in our neck of the woods into racing. I think some times im the only one in virginia and the carolina's thats a racer. They guys up at PGRC club in maryland have quite a few races a year. Next race is on the 8th of October. If you want to goto that race, i would be more than happy to help you out while you are there.

WHO IS RACING IN SOUTH CAROLINA???? IF so give me a link or somthing so i can get down there!!!

Oh yeah, if you need any help with your viper kit i can help. Ive put 5 vipers together this year so far. I have some suggested modifications you may be intereseted in.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
diggs_74

5 planes this year all ready? You must be having the same kind of year I'm having....
Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
grubs4flyn

Scott , how far to where in Maryland from RTP ?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:00 PM
johnnychimpo

ORIGINAL: diggs_74

5 planes this year all ready? You must be having the same kind of year I'm having....
HAAAA ahhh Yeah, hitting pylon #2, elevator servo centering problem on my vtal, and radio not responding after take off have lost 3 vipers total this year for me.!!!
NO biggie though, i got 3 built and 2 more in the boxes ready to go!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM
diggs_74

I'm kind of in scab mode to finish out the year here... I'm trying not to waist my new planes just to finish up the 424 season with so I scabbed a couple together... They're straight and safe but probably a little on the heavy side.