Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Three Quickie questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three Quickie questions.

Hi everyone.
A while back I ordered a GP Viper and a Jett 50 at about the same time to use as a fast sport plane. After looking over the Viper, I just couldn't bring myself to put the Jett on it. I like the Quickie style planes, mainly for their simplicity and slow landing speeds. I have decided to get a composite Quickie for the Jett. I'm trying to keep the cost of the airframe around $500 or so. So far, my choices are the BBR Shotgun and Taipan, and the Matney Models Dawg Gone It. I would appreciate comments on build quality, flight characteristics, etc. from the Pros here in this forum, since you are the ones who have flown these birds. Also, any other choices would be welcomed. ( Note, my build time is VERY limited, so full kit builts are pretty much out of the question. )

On something this pricey, I'd like to use good digital servos. I normally run JR digitals, so what would be the best choices ? Metal gear or nylon ?

One more thing, who sells the nice aluminum racing wheels ?

Thanks everyone, your time will be most appreciated.

Dave
Old 09-25-2005, 04:14 PM
splatt

Default RE: Three Quickie questions.

Of the 3 mentioned I'd pick the Shotgun first, followed by the Dawg gone it and then the Taipan.

A T-tail is cool lookng and all, but to me at least, they seem spooky. Something about that tail surface held by one thin line.

The one T tail I tried 10+ years ago snappped on take off and crashed. Kinda odd for your pusher too.

the Shotgun comes painted, the Mad Dawg appears to need paint. and at least with a conventional tail it would be less mysterious to master
Old 09-25-2005, 04:27 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

The mad Dawg has supposedly been around a year or so, but I have yet to see one at a big race. The shotgun has been around quite a bit, and lots of people are racing them successfully. Not a lot of Taipans, but I've seen a few, I do like how they look. Also, don't discount the Bird of Prey, It would make a great "sport racer".

BBR also has the "sling shot" coming out, a v-tailed shotgun, basically.

If you like the JR digitals, the best would be the 3421 which is a very good servo (although expensive). The 3121 is darn good also, and a bit lighter. I've been running a few of the Futaba 9650 digis lately, and really like them for torque, weight, and price.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Rebellion

Thanks for the tips gentlemen. I too like the looks of the T-tail on the Taipan, but was a bit concerned about it holding up. Somehow the Bird of Prey slipped by me. I went to Lyle Larson's website and took a look at it. Nice ! I couldn't find a price list though. Any idea what this Bird will set me back ?

OK, thanks to the advice here I've narrowed my choices to the Shotgun and the Bird of Prey. I'm not going to get in any big hurry on this one since the building season is still a couple of months away.

Dave, thanks for the advice on the servos too. I'm not all that loyal to JR so I'll take a look at the Futabas.\

Thanks much guys !

Dave

Old 09-26-2005, 03:25 PM
oddy

Bird of Prey (http://www.calspeedpros.com/Q500.htm).............$375

NEME-Q (http://www.flyfastcomposites.com/nemeqplus.htm)......$ 650

V-MAX ([email protected]) Don´t Know if they are still producing it.....$500

Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 PM
garys

The V-max isn't currently in production. The molds have been sold to Jim and Tim Lime in Arizona, but they've been too busy with work to do anything with the molds.

The Bird of Prey is the cheapest of the composites, and probably easiest to get, but it requires the most work, as it comes with a bare glass fuse and solid white wing and v-tail.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Rebellion

The Bird of Prey is the cheapest of the composites, and probably easiest to get, but it requires the most work, as it comes with a bare glass fuse and solid white wing and v-tail.
I found the online manual on the Shotgun, but not the Bird of Prey. Not much to building it I take it ? How's the fit and alignment ?

Thanks again for the info guys. MOST appreciated !

Dave
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 PM
daven

The bird of prey comes with 4 pieces.

1. A fully composite white gel coated wing. You will need to cut a hole for your aileron servo, glue some mounting rails, and mount the servo and aileron torque rods.

2. A fully composite white gel coated tail. All you will need to do, is cut a hole in the fuse tail saddle for the torque rods and glue in place (with toque rods ball linked to the bottom of the tail).

3. The fiberglass fuse. This will be your basic green fiberglass fuse. All you will really need to do is wash well with soap and water, mount your servo tray and servos, fill pin holes and paint.

4. Landing gear, just bolt in place.

Really not a lot to do, just make sure you don't cut the spar when mounting the aileron servo. If you hold the wing to the light, you can see the carbon strip under the white gel coat. I think Lyle includes a 1 page set of instructions, but it isn't much, because you don't need much. You can reach Lyle pretty easily at his home and he would be happy to answer any of your questions. Or you can ask here, as there are plenty of us that have built this one, or any other Q500 you can pick.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 PM
daven

Fit and alignment is very good, your really only gluing the tail on, and he has a molded V in the fuse. You will still need to carefully make sure that you mount the tail at zero degrees to the wing. The firewall will be 90 degrees to the incidence of the wing so you don't have to worry about that. The wing will already be drilled and tapped, so you don't have to worry about getting that straight. Just make sure that the tail is perfect, it is very important at high speeds.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Rebellion

Thanks for the info Dave, it really helps a lot ! The V-Tail alignment was a concern since it was a pain on the Viper to get close, but I'm guessing that the Bird is a different animal. I noticed that Lyle offers a prebuilt service. Might chicken out and go that way.

Thanks much,

Dave
Old 09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
daven

Lyle mounts all the tails of my Q40's. He has some jigs that he uses, and mine have all been perfect.

I started building a Tensor 4d recently, I think I saw your name on some of the posts in the electric forum about this plane. Are there any significant mods that you would do to this plane????
Old 09-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Rebellion

Sorry, I'm not the guy building the Tensor. Wish I could help, since you've been so much help to me.