Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Spinner for Q500- Faster or not?

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Spinner for Q500- Faster or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinner for Q500- Faster or not?

Whats best for Q500? I have some folks telling me that a spinner is best ( which is my belief, but heck I don't know ) and others just telling me a spinner nut or a large acorn type. Anyone got any facts?

Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Spinner for Q500- Faster or not?

I like the spinner nuts that are sold at www.darrolcady.com

Work well for me in both 428 and 424 classes.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:37 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Bill,

There is no solid data to prove one is better than the other. Maybe some theories out there. I run the Tru-Turn 7/8" diameter spinner nut. Lots of guys in Florida run the little Jett spinners.

Randy Bridge
Old 10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
SSAN

ORIGINAL: BadBill

Whats best for Q500? I have some folks telling me that a spinner is best ( which is my belief, but heck I don't know ) and others just telling me a spinner nut or a large acorn type. Anyone got any facts?
It's best to use spinner nut over aluminum spinner. It allows the engine to unload better since there's less weight on the crankshaft. I've experiment with this a while back running the same engine with spinner nut and spinner and found there's quite a bit different in the way how the engine performed in the air. But then again, it depend on the size of spinner you use. If the spinner is 2" in diameter or larger, there's a difference according to my test/experiment. I believe this has to do more with weight on the front end of the crankshaft than anything else. I've also tried a regular brass (heavy) spinner and get the same poor performance result, which doesn't allow the engine to unload as much.

This data is what I gathered from my test with my BSE quickie Jett engine. Your result may vary with different engine's.

Old 10-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Mac Hodges

ORIGINAL: SSAN

It's best to use spinner nut over aluminum spinner.
SSAN,
Please elaborate, I don't understand this. Do you mean aluminum spinner over a spinner nut?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mac,

Pardon me for jumping in here but I think by "over", he meant "instead of" rather than "on top of".

Generally, it's better to have less rotating mass up front, and less wetted area. About all the spinner does for you is clean up the flow around the propeller hub -- which is a good thing, all else being equal, but to get to the point of doing any good in that department, you've got to make the spinner so large that on a Q500 (which is required to have an exposed engine, no cowl) the boat-tail drag behind the spinner backplate starts to slow you down.

But Randy's right, there are no studies that prove this one way or the other. My suggestion? Put a big spinner on it and fly a tight course so you win your heats. Then everybody else will be crying in their beer because they don't have the "hot setup."

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
SSAN

ORIGINAL: Mac Hodges

Please elaborate, I don't understand this. Do you mean aluminum spinner over a spinner nut?
What I mean was use the spinner nut instead of the aluminum spinner just as DHG clarified it.