Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

Predator tail broke off during flight

Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Predator tail broke off during flight

Old 01-14-2006, 05:40 PM
RunEmFast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator tail broke off during flight

I purchased a lanier predator from the local hobby shop. It had been sitting on their shelf for a while. I had only 4 or 5 flights on it. I was flying around in the air with a Thunder Tiger 40, and the tail broke off during flight. The plane started doing loop after loop. I idled the throttle back and it stopped doing loops, but it wanted to fly inverted. I managed to gain some control back of the airplane and was able to land the plane inverted onto the field. The tail broke off at the leading edge of tail. The fuse broke in half just before the leading edge of the tail. So by the time I was done I had 3/4 of the length of the fuse with no tail section.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

Keith
Old 01-14-2006, 08:16 PM
splatt

Default RE: Predator tail broke off during flight

you discovered the time honoured method of recovering from no tail, works nice huh?

Maybe the tail got cracked from a hard push or other previous hardship, get the glue out, make it a bit stronger than before and get back in th air
Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 AM
rcpilot32
My Feedback: (67)

I too used to fly the Preditor in pylon. After having two failures of the stab breaking in front of the leading edge which cost me 2 planes, I went to a third Preditor. The firewall and engine departed on this one of which I never found the engine or firewall. Repaired the firewall and installed another TT 40. This time the wing folded. This was enough for me. I fly the Viper now. Much better built and also flies faster and smoother.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Keith,

I was surprised to see that you were from Ankeny, Ia. I live in NE Des Moines.

First regarding your Predator, weak tails and similar problems are common with these aircraft. Many have been raced around the country but quality control is not one of these cheap Q500 ARF's strong points. The Viper is a better airplane (my opinion) but it is not without problems and the weak tail is a common to both of these aircraft. There are common fixes for these and other probems. If you need help with the Predator, please let me know and I'm sure I can help ... even to providing you with a new fuselage ... I have a spare.

Are you interested in Q500 racing or are you just wanting to fly a fast sport airplane. If interested in Q500 racing, we have a great group of racers just 4 hours up I-35 in the Minneapolis area. Go to www.ncplracing.org to check them out. I make the trip several times each year and there is always a seat available if you'd like to check them out!

Roger S.
[email protected]