Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 06:51 PM
SmokinJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper wheels

The general advice on Viper wheels appears to be to throw them away as soon as possible.

Has anyone found a way of keeping the wheels on the axles?
Does silicone work?

Does anyone know of a commercially available axle that fit the Viper wheels?

Any comments will be most appreciated.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Viper wheels

Some have had success using thin CA to glue the wheel to the brass insert. I don't believe silicone would be strong enough even if it did stick well.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:23 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

I had some luck using thin Ca. which lasted about 20 flights. Next I tried epoxy after roughing up the brass bearing and wheel, lasted another 20 flights, before they flew off. Some guys just thru bolt them with nuts on both sides of the landing gear. If you are looking for the cleanest installation, buy a pair of wheels and the axles from Darrel Cady, about $15, and no more worries. Think you can get just the axles from him, but you will have to drill out the viper wheels.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
grubs4flyn
My Feedback: (1)

Just throw them away, it's the best thing. You will eventually bounce them off and most likely damage the gear and rip off the gear plate. Contact Mac or Bill at Hodges Hobbies and let them set you up with a new pair of racing wheels that come with a very good and strong axle assembly. They will last longer than the plane and cost around $12 bucks. You can put them on your next plane after you trash this one.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
blackcat.racer

I'm new to the whole Pylon scene, having helped with NEPRO last season as a judge. I've recently bought a VIPER, and reading all the posts / my time at NEPRO, I learned two things: New wheels and a bladder tank.

Question is - have I forgotten any of the biggies?

I was going to order those two from Jett, and we thinking about their CG Tank.

As for the radio, I was going to sure a HITEC 555 for the receiver, a HITEC HS55 for the throttle, and Tower standard servos for the rest. The kit instructions suggest a 250mA battery pack, but I was think of building on out of 780mA AAA rechargeables. NEPRO mandates the TT40 for the engine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Mike, I am not sure the CG tank will fit in the viper. It is really designed for use in Q40.

I personally don't think the Hitec 55 will last on your throttle. Just a little too much vibration, go with the Hitec 85, or 80 at the minimum.

We've used 250 mah NICD's for years, so that would work, but I've switched to either 500 mah Nimhs or 720 mah Nimhs. Same weight as the 250 Nicd's but significantly more juice.

Good Luck.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM
blackcat.racer

Dave,

I thought the CG tank would be wide. What about the standard with a 2" diameter? Mount it at the CG under the wing or foward just behind the firewall?

As for the HS-55, what I understand you're saying is that the servo will fail due to engine induced vibration alone the throttle linkage? Has there history of that?

Mike
Old 03-03-2006, 03:29 PM
diggs_74

Well Mike I used 81's on my throttlefor a while and I would be lucky if they lasted a whole season... They're just not heavy enough. The 85, as Dave mentioned, seem to last pretty well. The 2" round tank will be fine in the viper, just get it as close to the CG as possible.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM
blackcat.racer

Lee,

For a throttle servo, would a Futaba FP-S133 work? I ask because I have a few in another plane.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help, Mike
Old 03-09-2006, 03:33 PM
270win
My Feedback: (14)

About the wheels-
I fly of of a grass field so on my Scat Cat I just took the gear off completely. Hand launch and belly land. I don't race it except with whoever wants to race at the field that day... You would have to mount your engine upright to make that work...
Old 03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
diggs_74

Mike, I'm not familiar with that servo so I can't tell ya.... I would suggest biting the bullet and spending the $25 on an HS-85MG but that's just me.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

The FP-S133s are cute little servos, but vibration kills them pretty quick. Might be good for rudder. If you need a good mini throttle servo, I would recommend the HS-85 or JR 341.

My .02 ...

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 03-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Markh12

After reading the thread I went a head and ordered up a set of Jett Engineering wheels. I wasn't thrilled with the way the ones in the kit went on. I haven't flown the plane yet but now I'll feel better knowing that the wheels will be there when I want to land.
The new wheels are great, you can still use the bevel head screws that came with the kit.