Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

424 racing in SW MO

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
patternman
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 424 racing in SW MO

I have been zipping around pylons now for two seasons. It is time to get some more pople involved. I would like to develop 2-pole pylon racing with 424 rules in Southwest Missouri. We have some pylons and a great field here in Joplin. Need some people to develop rules and want to race during the week. Can't hog the field on the weekends. Thinking about Tuesday nights twice/month. Anyone interested? Anyone know how I can get more folks involved?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41601.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	422113  
Old 03-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Ed Smith

Default RE: 424 racing in SW MO

Make it easy on yourself. Use the existing AMA 424 rules in their entirety. Avoid all of the arguments that happen when making new rules. The existing rules set is tried and tested.

Ed S
Old 04-10-2006, 03:02 PM
DMUCOP
My Feedback: (4)

I think it's time! I am thinking about the samething up here in Kansas City!!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:39 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

For 424 planes on a 2 pole course, I recommend that you use the AMA spec of 660 feet. I've tried 525' and 475' and it's too short for a 424 plane.

You also need a little more throw on a 2 pole course, in my opinion. That turn at the left hand pylon can get you in trouble if you have any orientation difficulty. If the plane is comfortable to sport fly a race track pattern out in front of you, it is about right.

The nice thing about the 2 pole course is that you can leave it up at many field, especially if you put the pylons out far enough. People will fly "pick-up" races and you may get increased interest.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
tke991bo

I would like to see a circuit again in this part of the county for Q-500. We used to have a lot of fun in the early 90's with the MOKRA (Missouri.Oklahoma.Kansas Racing Association)series. We had races all over the place! There were at least 3 Races in KC, 1 in Wichita, and many others, but it kinda died off. I'm in the Springfield, Mo area now. Used to live in KC back when MOKRA was around. We had 4 classes we raced. Q-500 A(Rossi/Webra),B(basically 424), and E class(Nelson/Jett), and Old School QM which at that time used Nelson .15's.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 AM
s-10promod

I'm just getting back in racing after a twentyfive year break,(Drag racing and family life) I'm in the Branson area and would like to go racing without several hours of travel time to do so! Anyone else in the area ready to race???
Old 03-05-2007, 10:34 PM
scausey
My Feedback: (2)

I'm in Springfield, MO and too would like to have more races local. I know that Dan U. and AJ Seaholm would like to race locally. But when you want to have racers from around the state to come together, I find it hard to have it on a work night. So if you have it on a Sat. or Sun. ... I'm in. I prefer the 3 pole course, but could adapt to the two pole course. I have just recently join the North field here in Springfield and will ask the members to consider putting up some poles for myself to practice. Maybe we can host a monthy race here in Springfield. I will be checking into this possibility and get back with everyone. Until then ...

Scott
Old 03-05-2007, 10:58 PM
BUDMAN27

Get er done patternman. Its people like you that keep this Q-500 racing going strong here in good old US of A.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 AM
patternman

update to this thread. We are going to race the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the months during Daylight Savings Time. Pylons go up at 5:00 for trial runs, pick up races and individual records. We are using a 2-pole course, and racing according to 424 rules, using an unmodified TT pro .40 with baffle and APC 9X6 prop. on 15% nitro. So far, we have some interest in the club and some help with flags, but still needs to be developed. Reason for Tuesdays is that we do not fill the field with pylons or hog the field during prime flying times, but can set aside the field for two hours two times a month on an off night.
Interested? Contact us at Jopin R/C Club in southwest MO. We now have a website under construction at joplinrcclub.homestead.com

Name:	Ca80753.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	646467  
Old 03-21-2007, 08:38 PM
s-10promod

This is great timing I get got a viper in the mail today I'll be ordering a TTpro.40 very soon please post more details as you can!!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 AM
scausey
My Feedback: (2)

Patternman, can you post a phone number, so we can contact someone about the racing and when your next event will be. I live in Springfield and would try to come over to race with you. How many racers do you have in interest at the moment. I have never flown the two pole course but would give it a try. Direction to your field would also be a plus. If we get enough interest, maybe my club in Springfield would host an event also. I know that I could get a couple of guys out of Kansas City to show as well. Hope to see you soon.

Scott
Old 04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
patternman

sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I read both your posts and see that you would be interested in weekends. I understand the travel issue, but it is only an hour to Joplin. I work on Sat and Sun, but perhaps we can do a Sunday evening. Many in our club were into T-6 House of Balsa .25 racing and some still have those planes but they are rare now. Charlie Cross, Greg Edster, Murry Brunner, etc. Charlie and I are the only ones in our club that are serious and have 2 planes each that qualify in the 424 racing. I would be glad to have someone experienced as you to halep us set up racing in our area. Perhaps I can take a day off and host an event on a Saturday this summer. We do not have lights and really have not run a serious race as yet, so any advice would be welcome.
All it takes is a desire, some initiative and a little cash.
We are definitely going to set up pylons, run laps, and do some timing this coming April 17th, for bragging board rights to fastest ten laps. We will set up the pylons at 5 pm and if everyone is willing, have a race about 6:30 pm. If we run a set of 5 races, it will have to be a little earlier. At this point, I feel, get something going, then tweak it to get better. My # 417 781-2339 or 417 499-8917
I have made the committment to racing, my club is with me, and we have a good place to make a lot of noise.
Dana (patternman)
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
patternman

We will try our first timed 10 laps for bragging rights in the 424 class at Joplin R/C Club April 17 at 6:30 pm. Pylons go up at 5 pm, weather permitting. e-mail me at [email protected] So far, first time out, getting dark, with my old Viper, starting without a push I ran 2:04. Certainly anyone can beat me. I plan to improve on my time. Want your name on the board? Come run.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
patternman

to the guy that showed up at the Joplin field Tuesday, the 3rd of April from Witchita - sorry I was not there, buy David said you put on quite a show. It was reeal windy and cold. He was very impressed with your rythm, speed and accuracy. Looks like my new Viper will be real quick, If I run it full speed I start loosing it. Need to set it up like you are. Make the throws so I can use full stick. I had to warp the trailing edge on the wing to make it fly straight, but looks like I got that just right. What tricks of the trade can you tell me? Will we see you again?
Dana
Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM
djlyon

By golly this great. I have been into pylon racing for the last 4 years here in southern California and you are pushing it right. Years ago nobody in our club raced. Now there are 12 guys that are regulars on the southwest ciruit. In the late 1940s I lived near Pineville on the Big Sugar. I'm sure you from Joplin know where that is.

Denis
Old 04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
patternman

I think we may get something going. I built another Viper that I will sell at just $50 over cost just to get things going. I know how important getting into the hobby easily is. This Viper has a few goodies that make it very fast. I just ran it full speed for the first time last night and it is much faster than my old one. Or I wll sell my old one for $100 below cost.
I used bu-bro adjustable control horns on the v-tail and have a bladder tank on the front. I ran the lines closer to the fuse for streamlining, by putting the supply through the firewall, and moving the muffler nipple closer to the fuse. Thse are minor changes. The main difference was breaking in the engine right.

Name:	Om34527.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	663232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49419.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	663233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16420.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	663234  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 AM
aseaholm

Patternman,

The new Viper looks good.

I'm guessing your mysterious visitor from Wichita is the seasoned pro Mike Tallman. He doesn't make too many posts on the forums. Mike has been racing for decades and is very competitive at the National level. Definitely listen to what he has to say when it comes to plane set-up, he knows.

Here's a few tricks I've learned these past few seasons. The hardest thing for newcomers to get used to is the soft racing set-ups. A good rule of thumb for aileron set-up is one roll per straight away. In other words, if you start a roll at one pole (one a 2 pole course), you should complete a SINGLE roll by the time you get to the second pole on a 600 foot course.

Elevator should be set for a full up elevator turn that is tight and smooth. There's a common misconception that tight is better. Too tight can mean bleeding speed and that's no good. Error on the side of too soft and then use dual rates to land for a nice flair on a grass strip if need be. Keep in mind, the more control throw used, the more drag you induce, the slower you'll go. Less throw, less control surface deflection, less drag.

"What if I get in trouble?" you might ask. "Won't I need the throw to get out of it?". With less throw, it's a lot harder to get in trouble in the first place...

There is an informal 2 day race being planned in Olathe, KS on May 5th and 6th. I see work on weekends but perhaps this will fit an opening in your schedule. This will be a very low key intro race on the 3-pole course. Come on up if you can. Scott Causey from Springfield will be making the trip so perhaps you guys can car pool. You can both crash at my place Saturday night to make the trip easier...

I'm waiting on a reply about specifics for this the race but if nothing else it would be a great practice session and get to know ya type event. I'll post more information as soon as it becomes available. I'd really like to see 424 racing get fired back up here in the MO, KS, NE, IA region.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 AM
daven

Mike is from Witchita, in all due respect, he slightly resembles Wilfred Brimley

He also knows how really soup up a golf cart, very nice guy.

AJ gave you great advice, wish I was closer.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
diggs_74

Probably the most fun heat I've ever flown was against Mike T. in Houston.. What a blast.. We must have traded the lead about 6 times before I screwed up coming out of #3 and he got the win.. If he's giving you pointers I would suggest you take them..
Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Where's that Olathe field AJ. The 5th is work day up at the knights, but I'd like to take a gander at the setup. Wouldn't mind a little gofast, turn left.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:17 AM
patternman

good to see this forum grow. It would be good to meet some of you. I may have to take a Saturday off. May 5? Will def. think about that, get some tips on what we need to run to get some interest in racing. Going to do a demo for my club this coming Tuesday, Apr. 17. Pylons go up at 5 pm. Will have to quit at 7 pm for a half hour Joplin R/C club meeting. I would be a blast to have a pro show us how it looks.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Clean

I think I've flown at the Joplin field once, about 15 years ago. West of town past the country club?
I've gotten one step closer to racing today, out of 4 those mufflers I've owned, I managed to keep one of the baffles, so my engine will be legal. Now I've got to put it on the bench and see how it runs. It used to put out pretty good, but it didn't keep up with the 46's I used in combat.

Oh, and when I flew at the Joplin field I was in town for an install. Nobody else was there till I left, I was flying control line.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:34 PM
patternman

Mr. clean,
Joplin R/C Club is on west 7th (old Rt. 66) west of joplin, west of Shifferdecker Golf Course. Turn north on Black Cat Road at Greg Freeman Auto Salvage. Go one mile. Road jogs a little at Belle Center, but continue north after the stop sign just a few hundred yards, and our red cattle gate is on the right. This tues, Apr. 17th, we are just getting together for bragging rights on our white board for fastest 10 laps around the 2 pylon course. So far, I have it with 2:05:04. So far, I am the only guy that has been timed. Now, if a race were to break out, I would be powerless to stop it. Pylons go up at 5 pm. Our club meeting is at 7 pm, and we would welcome some input of how we can get pylon racing going in SW MO and what our club could do to see it happen. Weather Permitting. With all this rain, the ground should be soft if one comes in contact with it.

Name:	Rp44114.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	664228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99162.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	664229  
Old 04-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Clean

Sounds about right for the location of the field. You're only a 3 hour drive away for me AND as I get off work at 2 in the afternoon, I'd have plenty of time to mosey down and drive back, though I might need to take the next day off.

But as I just got the engine running again, and I don't have a viper ordered yet, I probably won't be making this weeks flying. But when the weather cools down and becomes more dependable, I'll see if I can't come down some Tuesday. And driving to Springfield some weekend for a race sounds like fun too.

Only question I have now is, can I replace the through bolt on the muffler with allthread? The bolt in there now is solid and original, but I've seen em come apart too often. I've got an extra muffler, just not an extra baffle thingey.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:21 PM
djlyon

Replace that bolt with a 6/32 threaded rod. Drill the front of the muffler for the rod and run a 6/32 tap through the back of the muffler. put a lock nut (nylon insert) on the front and install the rod. Tighten the back down and put a lock nut on the back. No more problems or a lost back half of the muffler.

Denis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.