Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Racing Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:04 PM
pdxpaul
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Sunglasses

Hi all,

I am getting new glasses, and will likely get a second set of prescription sunglasses that I will wear for flying/racing. I can get tinted or polarized. The sales guy said polarized are only good for reflections off water or the road surface.

Advice? What do you guys usually wear?

Paul
Old 01-19-2003, 08:23 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Paul

I can only say what works best for me is #3 dark green with no coatings and all glass. Green is far better for me than the more common gray. Photo-grays also never get dark enough, the density change is never enough. I,ve never been successful with 'coatings'. They usually get destroyed around the pits and become unuasable in just days for me.

I enjoyed meeting you at the Winterfest, hope you had a good time.

John
Old 01-19-2003, 10:25 PM
pdxpaul

Default sunglasses

Thanks John. Except for my flying, I had great time in Phoenix. I had such a good time, I might have to make Winterfest with a stop over in Vegas an annual event.

Paul
Old 01-20-2003, 05:43 AM
Racerdad

Paul, I have a set of prescription sunglasses that I wear for flying. They are tinted, not polarized. Works better for going from clouds to sun during a heat race. And we do go from clouds to sun here in the Great Northwest.

Tom
Old 01-20-2003, 05:46 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shades

Paul, try taking a look at Zurich! I use mine all the time while Racing. The Visibility is Excellent and if you happen to fly thru the sun, it's a bit easier on the eyes.

BV
Old 01-20-2003, 07:56 PM
SSAN

Default Re: Racing Sunglasses

Originally posted by pdxpaul
Hi all,

I am getting new glasses, and will likely get a second set of prescription sunglasses that I will wear for flying/racing. I can get tinted or polarized. The sales guy said polarized are only good for reflections off water or the road surface.

Advice? What do you guys usually wear?

Paul
Paul,

Your best bet is to stay with the standard tinted glass than the Polarized one. The Polarized glass are made for and use mostly by fisherman for cutting reflection off water for clearer view. Like a Bass Fisherman use it to see in shallow water for structure and fish. Believe me cause I'm a Bass fisherman and without it, would hurt my eyes pretty bad after a long day at the lake.

For flying, I would recommend staying with the brown tint for best result. The brown tint give you more depth perception and much clearer view because it cut down on the haze... that's why real pilot's uses them. Hope this help.

Sam