Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Viper Or Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:47 PM
TDubya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper Or Predator?

I'm ready to begin participating in our club pylon races. We currently have our own club racer utilizing a TTgp25, and have just started using the quickie 500 airframes using OS .25FX engines. Yes, they aren't all that fast with these power plants, but it still is fun to compete IMO. I'm curious if anyone knows the difference in the airframes weight, and which one is the favorite. Considering the power plant, would you have a recommendation for servos? I believe the total weight must meet at least 3.5lbs.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:55 PM
diggs_74

Default RE: Viper Or Predator?

I think you'll be ok with either one.. The new Predator has the enclosed linkage for the tail.. But I'm sure if you'll notice much difference between the two.. Heck, at about $110 you might as well get one of each

For servos there are a few to look at.. I think there is a post that talks about V-tail servos.. Here it is..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5007375/tm.htm
Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

TDUBYA - Which club and where is it? I might join you once or twice.
Do you have a schedule of races for next year?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 AM
TDubya

gunfighter,

Richardson Radio Control is the name of the club. www.rrcc.org is the link to the club website and the flying field is located near Lake Lavon. The directions to the field would be available on the website. I don't believe there's a schedule for next years events as of yet. The last race of the season is Dec. 9 at 1pm.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
rcrandy

I just finished building one of each plane you are asking about, and I much preffered the Predator II, as far as kit quality goes. Covering had no wrinkles, V tail fit with no sanding, and I liked the enclosed linkage. Fuse is better built, with better landing gear and mount.
The Viper required a lot of fitting and sanding to get the tail lined up, and the covering has wrinkles, even after heating. It is an older kit compared to the Predator II, and needs updating.
I am using TT 40's in each, and they came out weighing the same, and 3lbs 14 oz. I have only flown the Predator, but a long time local pylon racer says the Viper has a faster wing.

Randy
Old 11-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Electriceddie

Hey There,

I don't have any experience with the Predator. I do have some with the Viper. I was very pleased with the way it came delivered in the box. No wrinkles for the most part which came out easy and there was minimal sanding to get the V-tail to fit perfect, I am a bit of a perfectionist. All elsr was fine a fit. It is a very fast plane and the wing is fast as rcrandy states. I have heard some of the 428 guys are using the Viper 500 wing with some of the Seeker or Shotgun fuse's. I know it was one of the composite fuses just not sure if it was the afore mentioned fusesit was, but it is in that composite quality range. Mine came in with the TT.40 3lbs and 13 0nces's. First time out with it I took 3rd place in Std class last year. Very happy with it. I heard some of the earlier Viper ARF's had some troubles, but hey have been eliminated.

Good Luck

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49647.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	568415  
Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

IMHO... having had both, the Viper is far superior in overall build quality and has a faster wing. I am actually considering flying the Viper in both 424 and 428 next season for two reasons. Cost and time. I refuse to pay composite prices to fly local contest to win a two dollar trophy in 428 and I don't have the time to build a good woody that is equal to the composite. The Viper is a generally the plane to beat in 424 and a viable alternative for 428, especially with the declining 428 entry numbers maybe if others, especially 424 pilots, see a $120 plane being competitive in 428 maybe we can increase numbers. At least I am going to try!

dan