Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Which Q500 engine to buy

Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
barrielever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Q500 engine to buy

OK I need some help making a descision on which Q500 engine I should buy, I should point out that this engine will be used for Q500 in Europe on FAI fuel.

Dave Shadel shows the FAI version of the Q500 engine with bigger air intake and FAI type head, Jett is not listing such an engine but we all know he can do it if there was a demand.

In AMA428 it seems like Jett gets engines up at the top of the result but not so much in the mid and lower rankings.

Has anyone used the Nelson FAI/Q500 (Mario ?)

Any thoughts would be much appriciated.

Barrie Lever
Old 02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Kevin Matney
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Q500 engine to buy

I'm sure If you drop Dubb a email for what you are doing I'm sure he can come up with a engine for what you are doing.

[email protected]
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
barrielever

Kevin

So I will take it you are a Jett fan, I know Dub from International F3D racing and I am tending towards his engine but I also dont want to splash on an engine that I am going to struggle with.

Barrie
Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
mroos

Hello Barrie,

i am using an older Nelson (>8 years) with 11mm venturi and a late 2005 version with 11mm venturi currently. Both run great but with a performance difference. I can't give any feedback on the FAI Fuel version. But i know serveral other are using it for this year.

I think if Henry Nelson makes a special FAI fuel version there must be some improvement in performance, otherwise he wouldn't do so.

best regards,
Old 02-08-2007, 06:03 PM
barrielever

Mario

Thanks for that info, in Euro rules Q500 can we run just with a venturi? no air valve or carb.

Regards Barrie
Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 AM
[email protected]

hey Barry, I thought a man of your experience would make anything work! see you in USA? regards trevor Hendersonnz
Old 02-09-2007, 03:16 AM
barrielever

Well yes I think I could make anything work, but I would also want to stay within the spirit of the rules ie no engine mod's.

I have many victories and Nats wins in classes with standard engines, any deviation from the straight and narrow would devalue those wins in my opinion, those wins mean a lot to me.

I tend to think that the Q500 will be like the old Club20 in England in that a great importance gets placed upon the engineering of the airframe as this is a free area to work within.

Have you got your Q500 model yet ?, I cant be bothered with all this international shipment of kits, and have just gone ahead with building a 'woody'.

I will probably be in Muncie as a spectator, I only made reserve on the team. I only started flying in F3D again at the Nats in August 2006, had a fairly good run, but was a little rusty for the first few flights and this caused my lack of team placing, I dont think I would have been able to give the team the right level of commitment due to work anyhow.

Regards Barrie

Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
mroos

You can use venturi. There is no reglementation for that.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Ed Smith

I have many victories and Nats wins in classes with standard engines, any deviation from the straight and narrow would devalue those wins in my opinion, those wins mean a lot to me.
Barry you are in a class of your own. You need to adopt the North American attitude. Cheat at all costs to win.

Ed S
Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
diggs_74

It's not so much cheating Ed, as it is operating in the "grey" area of the rules...
Old 02-09-2007, 06:35 PM
barrielever

Ed

Well you know what the stiff upper lip is like and all of that! are you the toolmaker from Surrey? emigrated to Canada?

Anyhow I was in a class of my own back then, now I am just in with the rabble!

Regards Barrie
Old 02-09-2007, 06:43 PM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

Barry you are in a class of your own. You need to adopt the North American attitude. Cheat at all costs to win.

Ed S
Ed
Its only cheating if you get caught! What happened to the frame of mind that everyone operates on a level and fair playground?
Jeff
Old 02-09-2007, 08:50 PM
[email protected]

Barrie, no, the kit hasn't arrived yet, but its a long way from France to New Zealand............we are almost at the bottom of the world. almost everything gets shipped into here, women from Thailand, cars from japan, kits from you know where, prisoners ex england and/ or ireland, engines from the USA and Holland,and even aeromodellers from South Africa. Oh well, if you are not used to it then I understand your attitude. Look forward to seeing your resolve on your engine question, but will see you at Muncie, look after yourself and don't forget that your flight time from England to the USA is substantially shorter than our flight from NZ to US...................thats life. kind regards trevor h[&:]
Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
smitty9969
My Feedback: (7)

I talked to someone before concerning the FAI vs. 15% fuel before and was told that if you use a smaller prop and keep the rpm's above 18.5K the engines would run the same.

Did I read correctly that you can use a venturi on the Q500's for the EC?

Smitty
Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 AM
[email protected]

Dub Jett has supplied FAI fuel engines to New Zealand in very recent times for use in all our nz classes................whilst I haven't bought from him in recent times his service is very good, his product very good and delivery real quick. My mate runs a BSE 40 QM engine- goes like a scalded cat but he did have initially troubles understanding the installation of the counterbalanced spinner, the instructions seem clear enough for me but whatever he did was wrong and he was forever having the exhaust bolts break. he has solved the problem, but if you ask him what he changed he says with smile on face' only when I take the prop off will I find out what I did'............................operators fault, but a real nice engine, regards trevor h[:'(]
Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 AM
barrielever

Trevor

Well it is not only the hassle of shipping that puts me off importing a model, I also quite like building new models/projects !

I might well have my 'woody' built before your ARF arrives from France!

Regards Barrie
Old 02-10-2007, 03:55 AM
barrielever

My understanding is that they run with a venturi in Germany, Performance Specialities show an FAI version of the Q500 engine with a venturi.

Looks like it might be venturi's, not a big problem either way.

My understanding is that some of the English competitors have ordered the FAI version of the Nelson Q500.

Regards Barrie
Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Ed Smith

Ed

Well you know what the stiff upper lip is like and all of that! are you the toolmaker from Surrey? emigrated to Canada?
Well yes, one of many probably, but how did you know???

Ed S
Old 02-10-2007, 09:40 AM
barrielever

You must have been on the Canadian F3D team in Australia in 1987, I remember speaking to a guy who called Ed who emigrated, I guess it must have been you.

Time flies by Ed!

Anyhow what is your view on the engine situation? Nelson or Jett?

Regards Barrie
Old 02-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Ed Smith

Anyhow what is your view on the engine situation? Nelson or Jett?
Without question, Nelson. The Nelson engine just seems to have the edge. Dubb Jett and his immediate circle have good success with the Jett engine. For everybody else the choice is Nelson.

Ed S
Old 02-11-2007, 05:17 PM
mroos

@ Smitty

yes venturi as offered from Shadel for the Q500 FAI fuel version. Before the FAI fuel Q500 version with the 12.5mm gas passage and different head became available we had been simply using the same engine as in the US, but replaced the throttle valve with the 11mm venturi from the Q40 engines. This "version" is still been used by most. But venturi is not a must. In our rules there is no limit to the intake and exhaust outlet size. So having the larger intake was the main intense. (11mm venturi +11mm gas passage).