Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

V-Tail Linkage Tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Tail Linkage Tip

Been working on a few planes the last month, and thought I'd share a tip that I've mentioned a few times, but never really documented it well.

When I build a quickie with a V-tail, I use 1/8" carbon fiber tube as my pushrods. It is available several places, and the center of the tube is a slip fit for 2/56 rod.

Before I glue anything into the carbon, I take a piece of 2/56 rod and wet it with a paper towel lightly soaked in Alcohol (the non-drinking kind) and slowly push it in and out of the tube to clean any debris. When I glue rod into Carbon, I use 5 minute epoxy, and have never had a failure. You just gotta be carefull that you get enough glue into the rod, it is a pretty snug fit.

The end that is attached to the V-tail halves can't be seen in the pictures, but I take a 2" piece of 2/56 rod with about 1/2" of thread on one end and glue it into the carbon rod. Once you push the glue incaased rod in, slightly turn the rod a couple times (clockwise) and this buries about an 1/8" of thread inside the tube. If you turn it too many times, the rod can crack/splinter and you do not want to do that. I then attached a dubro ball link to the threas and popped it on the ball that connects to the torque rods of my V-tail.

In Picture #1 I have my two Servos mounted (JR Sport MN-48s), they are plugged into a receiver, the transmitter is on, and the servos are perfectly centered. I am testing these servos for our local OS .46 class in 2008, I'm not sure I would trust them with a Nelson powered plane, but will start at 125 mph and go from there. At $22, 48 oz torque, and less than ounce, they seem like a good fit for V-tail servos.

In Picture #2 I attached 4 lightweight clamps that hold the elevators in perfect neutral position.

In Picture #3 I show a paper towel draped under the pushrods. When you start to glue the rods into the carbon, there is always a little spooge out, and the paper towels catch it, so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of your fuse.

Picture #4 shows the rods glued into the carbon, the servos centered, and the servo arm screws in place. Once the glue is dry, I give it 10 minutes, I switch off the receiver and turn off the transmitter. Everything is perfectly centered without worrying about sub-trim, or mechanically adjusting it by twisting the rod and hoping the ball links twist at the torque rods without popping off.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66962.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	857464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65028.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	857465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88115.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	857466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56682.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	857467  
Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
vworley

Default RE: V-Tail Linkage Tip

Dave, thanks for the post and info. Quiet timely for me!

Victor
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spooge? that's a new word on me...

Dave, this is a great writeup. I've used carbon fiber tubes (like you, I use the 1/8") on the last couple of airplanes, and it would be tough to go back to something else.

What do you think of those MN48's?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:56 AM
daven

Not real sure on the MN-48's yet. It looks like they are what replaced the Expert SL-451 servo I had used in Sport 424 type racing on my v-tails. If they are similar, I am happy with them for a $22 servo. I don't think I would use one on Aileron, or for Q40's, but for a v-tail on slower race planes, they should work fine.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if they're similar to the old 3021's that JR had? I've been using them, with good luck, on the halves of the v-tail.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

I use the same basic setup, but substitute Flex CA for the 5 minute epoxy. A guy on another forum turned me on to this. To test it he actually hamered the glued in end into a pine block. The carbon tube splintered before the glued end broke free.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
daven

Chris,

Is the glue you use similar to black flash, ruberized CA, or tire glue? I've used that in the past, and it works fine just less time to get everything lined up perfect. Also, I didn't use that type of glue very often and it tended to go bad relatively quick after opening.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 PM
PylonDave

Dave , I had a salesman at horizon tell me that the MN48 is in fact the same servo as the expert sl 451 , just with JR's name on it.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: PylonDave

Dave , I had a salesman at horizon tell me that the MN48 is in fact the same servo as the expert sl 451 , just with JR's name on it.
I've run 12 of these servos in 4 quickies and they perform well, they certainly seem to center better than the Hitec 225's I used to run. These are 424 models, I can't comment on using them in anything faster.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
PylonDave

I used them on a 428 all last year.
Although one of the original MN48s went bad after a couple of flights . I replaced it with another one and have had no problems since.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:28 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Dave,

Yes, it's the rubberized CA. The bottle I have says "Flex CA". I've been beating on the set I made for my OMP Edge doing Blenders and similar tricks and they're holding up great. Matter of fact the ball links are getting sloppy from the vibration of the Saito 82. I'll probably have to replace the ball links this season, but the rods will remain the same.

Chris