Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Neme-Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:34 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neme-Q

Hi guys. Well, I just ordered a Neme-Q from Terence. I really don't think I'll get into officially racing it, I just really like to go fast! If I decide to not go with something as radical as the Nelson .40, what would you guys recommend for simply sport flying this machine? Maybe something "hot" with a throttle. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Spence
Old 06-23-2003, 07:55 PM
oddy

Default Neme-Q

you can try with an OS 46 FX or a Thunder Tiger 40 Pro and youll get a quite fast plane with a standard engine.

If you are looking something hotter but not as much as a nelson, you can get the Jet Q500 Sport 40 or and engine such as the MVVS Q500 or the Webra Q500.

Hope it helps
Old 06-23-2003, 09:18 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Neme-Q

I agree with Oddy.

Your basic O.S. .46fx will take this plane to 130 Mph with the right prop.

The Neme-Q is a good flyer, and I am sure you will like it.

One thing you will notice, that is a bit different about this plane, is that when you cut throttle from full the plane will climb. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of. The Neme-Q is one of the easier Quickees to land in my opinion.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:21 PM
smaze17

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinkin' about going with the MVVS Quickie .40. I've heard good things about that motor. I realize most people go with the Nelson where no throttle servo is necessary. Hopefully there is an option to use a throttled motor if one doesn't want to go with an "all out" racing engine. Thanks again!

Spence
Old 06-23-2003, 10:33 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Neme-Q

Actually you do use a servo for throttle with the Nelson and JETT Q-500 engines.

One option you have is to get a Quickie JETT with a RED JETT carb. It is a dual needle carb, and you can get a decent idle. Don't stay at idle for a long time. If you decide to go racing in 428, you can get an air-valve carb to replace the RED JETT, and you won't have to change the throttle linkage. I don't have a BSE Q-500 yet, but it will probably idle with the RED JETT also. Just call Dub or Dennis and they can tell you.

For the difference in cost over the MVVS, at least go to the JETT Super Sport .40 with a RED JETT.

BTW, get a 4 bolt JETT conforming backplate mount, a Performance Specialties mount, or the www.lcsperformance.com 4 bolt mount.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Neme-Q

BTW, one thing to be aware of with the Nelson and the JETT Q-500 engines is that they use larger plugs than the standard 1/4-32 plugs. This means you need a clip instead of a twist-on plug ignitor.

The plugs are actually cheaper than an OS #8 and in some cases the OS #3, though.

If you do go with a Quickie JETT with a RED JETT carb, you will lose 10-20 mph, but you will be able to get into the 140-150 mph range with the idling carb. Start out with APC 8.8 x 8.5 or 8.8 x 8.75 pylon props.

( I deleted your posting in the General Racing forum because of the RCU multiple forum posting policy, and this is the right place anyway. )
Old 06-23-2003, 11:55 PM
smaze17

Default Cool

Thanks Don! (Sorry about the double posting...shoulda read the rules). What do you think about running an O.S. 46 FX with a Performance Specialties Ultrathrust muffler? I checked the specs and they claim the O.S. puts out 1.62 HP @ 16000 and the folks at Morris claim the MVVS Quickie motor gets 1.63 HP @ 23000! As you probably know, the Jett folks do not display HP numbers for their engines. So you would recommend the Jett engine over the MVVS? Thanks again!

Spencer
Old 06-24-2003, 12:31 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Neme-Q

The MVVS specs are a little misleading. To get 23K out of that engine, you will have to run a small diameter prop or lower pitch prop, and both will result in less speed, especially on a Quickie.

The JETT site is down at the moment, so I have to go from memory on their prices.

The OS 46 FX will cost you about $110 and the Ultrathrust Muffler will cost around $60, so that makes it around $170 for the package. If installation in another plane is an issue, this may be the way to go. Because ...

I can never remember if the JETT Super Sport .40 uses the OS 46 FX lug mounting pattern or if it uses the Q-40/Q-500 mounting pattern. It is in the $250 range, and I think going to the RED JETT carb adds $25 to the cost. It will be more powerful than the 46 FX or MVVS. It uses the standard size plugs. I believe this engine may also be referred to as the CAPS JETT or SEMPRA JETT, although you will have to swap out the single needle carb for the RED JETT.

The Quickie JETT definitely uses a different lug pattern than the OS 46 FX. I think it is 0.1 narrower across the engine and 0.1 shorter on the lug. I think the Quickie JETT is $275 with the RED JETT. A Quickie JETT will get you 2.3 to 2.7+ hp, even with an idling carb.

Of course you can always go to the JETT BSE Q-500, but you'll have to talk to Dub or Dennis (713-680-8113) to see if it will idle with the RED JETT or if they are even compatible (they should be). The BSE is $350, but it comes with a Remove Needle Valve as part of the deal (normally a $25 item). I think the RED JETT adds $25. Or you can buy one a la carte for $60, and you'll be ready with the air-valve when you get ready to go 428.

I'm sure Dub and Dennis are swamped with the NATS coming up, but they catch up quickly after the NATS (July 6-11). So, if you can't get them, be patient.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:36 AM
PylonWorld
Banned

Default Neme-Q

BTW, the Sport JETT .40 (different than the Super Sport .40) does use the OS 46 FX mounting pattern. If mountability in another plane is an issue, go for the Sport JETT .50 for the most power you can get in the 46 FX mounting pattern.

While the JETT's have the two different mounting patterns, the backplate bolt pattern is the same.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:41 AM
smaze17

Default Thanks

Thanks again for the replies guys! I've read that 95% of the Q500 as well as Q40 pilots use the Nelson engine. Is there a reason why this is? The Jetts seem to be very nice engines.....especially the BSE motors. I have heard they are tougher to tune properly than the Nelsons. Thanks in advance for the input!

Spence
Old 06-25-2003, 03:44 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Neme-Q

Most people out of the state of Texas are running Nelsons in National (USA) competition.

The Jetts are just as fast, but in my opinion are a little trickier to get consistant fast runs. The Nelson is a little more tolerant to needle settings.