RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   natural wood color filet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/10906039-natural-wood-color-filet.html)

PylonDave 01-12-2012 07:23 PM

natural wood color filet

I am finishing a Q500 fuse with a natural finish. What do you guys use for filling the filet on the top of the vtail where it meets the fuse. I had some voids around the balsa extention of the fuse top where it goes over the vtail. I decided to get some light colored wood filler and made a small fillet there. I am wondering if the putty will stand up to the auto motive clear paint i am planning to use?? I was thinking of coating the wood filler with finishing resin before i paint. What do you think?

PylonDave 01-12-2012 07:33 PM

RE: natural wood color filet

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what it looks like.

djlyon 01-12-2012 09:32 PM

Hi Dave

I do all my fuselages in clear. I fill with wood colored filler. After I sand every thing the way I want it I glass every thing with 1/2 or 3/4 once cloth and polyester resin. Epoxy finishing resin works fine too. If you don't glass it I would at least reinforce the filler with resin.

Denis

PylonDave 01-12-2012 10:00 PM

I glassed the fuse allready. I decided to paint a coat of resin over the filler. Looks like it will work out Ok.

luv to race 01-13-2012 04:51 AM

Dave,

Next time.. Do all your filler work before you glass the fuse, so that your filler is under your finishing resin/glass cloth. All that is used on the Vortex to install the tail and finish it is, Z-poxy finishing resin and micro balloons (white).. The finishing resin turns it a little brown in color, and by the time you glass over it and paint the clear.. It looks faily close in color. And as you probably figured out, that balsa top block piece that runs between the tail.. is tricky to make. getting it to fit so that the need for any fillet at all is the trick.

Don't sweat it too much.. sand it all smooth and paint it clear.. and go fly it.

Looks like a SuperT Vortex tail :-)

RB

djlyon 01-13-2012 08:58 AM

Hi Dave

Actually I do it the same as Randy. I use a different filler for damage repair. It is a lite weight auto glazing putty called Split Second. It is polyester based and works great for repairs and is quite strong. I don't recommend for filling during initial construction because the working time matches it's name[:-]. It is available at auto paint stores.

Denis

iamtom 01-13-2012 11:33 AM

The answer to your question is use epoxy mixed with West systems #404 Faring filler. It is almost exactly the same color you are looking for and blends in very well. Also extremely light weight ans very easy to sand. Use it for potting the wing as well.
Tom
Sorry I misspoke about the product #. It is #410 This stuff works very well even in faster epoxys.

You Are Here: Home » Products » The 105 System » Fillers » 410 Microlight™
410 Microlight™Filler Selection Guide
Filler Buying Guide
403 Microfibers
404 High-Density Filler
405 Filleting Blend
406 Colloidal Silica
407 Low-Density Filler
410 Microlight
410 Microlight™ is the ideal low-density filler for creating a light, easily-worked fairing compound especially suited for fairing large areas. Microlight mixes with greater ease than 407 Low-Density filler or microballoons and is approximately 30% easier to sand. It feathers to a fine edge and is also more economical for large fairing jobs. Not recommended under dark paint or other surfaces subject to high temperatures. Cures to a tan color.

Alabama Racer 01-13-2012 11:55 AM

I use some Elmers wood putty, it is tan colored and comes
from Lowes or Home Depot. As it comes, it is pretty thick. I add a few
drops of water and stir in a bunch of micro balloons.
After you apply the mixture, wet your finger and
slick it down/smooth it out. If you need to sand after it dries,
it sands great. Cover it up with epoxy, CA or water based
polyurethane before painting.
brad

PylonDave 01-13-2012 09:16 PM

Thanks Guys, I now have choices for the next time!!

Randy, Yep its a super T tail all right. He gave it to me split in have but otherwise flawless. I glued it back together and Its like new. Your Dad does great work!!