RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   New AMA class racer Indoor pylon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8477302-new-ama-class-racer-indoor-pylon.html)

Kevin Matney 02-14-2009 08:33 PM

New AMA class racer Indoor pylon

1 Attachment(s)
Look at this new class Racer Q ID.
Under 4oz. and a prop speed of 58 mph
This all done by Arch Adamisin

j.gibson 02-14-2009 08:48 PM

RE: New AMA class racer Indoor pylon

Sign me up !!!

john g.

Duane-RCU 02-15-2009 11:37 AM

Those look awesome, where can we get more info, at least on the planes. I doubt it will happen around here, but I want one just to fly.

aussiesteve 02-15-2009 06:10 PM

We sometimes fly at an indoor Cycle track(velodrome) in my Hometown (Perth West Aust) - I can see these being a lot of fun there. Hmm - seeing as it is almost Winter there, I wonder if any of the Pylon guys there would want to play this new game.

MFLOOD3800 02-15-2009 07:37 PM

Hey Kevin,
If that is the new Sundowner for the USRA Id say he deviated too far from the 5% wing rule.
:)

rocket_jim 02-15-2009 07:40 PM

I found a similar photo, plus some additional info elsewhere on the web, dated 2/12/2009. That photo says Raptor on the wings.

"hi there, I just thought I'd post a picture of a new model I just finished. 150 square inches, 110 grams, 58 MPH.
The fuses are built up from 3MM depron foam as is the stab, the wing is wire cut from 2 pound foam, it has a 3MM carbon tube spar. The wing span is 30"x5" wide.
Arch"

Hope Arch or someone else in the know will drop in here with more info.

Jim

Arch Adamisin 02-16-2009 01:04 AM

Hi guys,
Those are my newest creations. My sons and I were going to try to go to EFEST and we wanted something different, so I came up with these. Unfortunately, the motors and batteries didn't arrive in time to get them trimmed and ready.I"m currently trying to get a 3 axis foam cutting machine so I can cut some of them out. Cutting them out one at a time isn't fun. There is almost a much work in these as there is in a real quickie. Torgue rods on the ailerons, a single elevator pushrod controls both of the elevators. As soon as we finish with the testing, I'm going to cut some out. I'll post more at that time. We're looking at taking some more weight out of them and make the wing stronger at the same time. We're going to try to get some video of them racing around the scale pylons we also made, checkerboarded and all, later this week. We're thinking about a 75-100 foot course, 30 feet wide. I think they'll be a lot of fun.

Arch

Iceman67 02-16-2009 02:23 PM

Jim,

Motor is 10g Hextronik 18-11 2000Kv/Turnigy 6amp ESC swinging a 4.5 x 4 GWS @ 12,500 RPM on 2S 20C Rhino 460 MaH pack. (2) 5gr Hextronik servos, & GWS rx. AUW 100grams. It is basically a 55% scale quickie 500. Hopefully dad can get some pictures of the thing with the motor on it. The spinner nut caps it off as looking like a real quickie. It ought to be a fun little plane for very minimal cost.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

Arch Adamisin 02-16-2009 05:10 PM

Hi guys,We flew the little quickie this morning. What a blast. It took off straight as a arrow and other than the ailerons being too soft, it really went great. It rolled out into a snow bank after the first flight, knocking off the landing gear so we hand launched for a second flight after making some changes to the ailerons but still not enough authority. I've since modified them by increasing their length and we hope to have another go tomorrow. I'll get you informed as we go.

Arch

Arch Adamisin 02-21-2009 01:19 AM

Hi,
We've been out twice since the last post. The aileron issues are gone. Now it flies just like it's big brother, son Jeff was able to fly laps on knife edge around a 150 foot parking lot. It turns tight enough to come back on the same line it goes out on, great for small two pole races.

Arch

j.gibson 02-21-2009 07:44 AM

Arch,
Do you think you will do a kit, or plans and a build thread.
It's a neat looking little airplane.

jmg

j.gibson 02-21-2009 08:06 AM

Arch,
How did you do the graphics? Are they Jap tissue and Polycrylic or colored
markers..............

jmg

tIANci 02-21-2009 08:36 AM

This is way too cool ... :)

Arch Adamisin 02-21-2009 09:19 AM

We're going to try to cut some kits, we're just now trying to gather the materials necessary to make a short run of maybe about 2 dozen to see if there might be enough interest in making a larger run.
The decorations are just markers, we tried to do something that was light and quick just so they weren't just plain white.We needed to be able to differentiate between them in a multi plane race.
We're going to try to demo them at the ETOC, during the open flying session @ the Toledo show in April as well as have some kits availale. The next iteration of the design is being built as I type, minor changes based on the flight testing we're doing right now. We'd really like to be able to take more weight out of the wing and that is a major point of focus. The wings we're using are solid 2# foam and weigh almost 30 grams, I'd like to cut that in half with a hollow wing and that's were we're working right now. We're also working to simplify the control actuation and hinging. What we have works, I'm just not sure it's the best we can do.

Arch

j.gibson 02-22-2009 06:39 AM

Thanks Arch! Keep us posted.

jmg

Arch Adamisin 02-28-2009 02:14 AM

Hi again,
We just came home from our first night flying the lil quickie indoors. I have good news and bad news. The good news is the model flies great, the bad news is IT'S TOO FREAKING FAST!!!! A full lap around the gym in less than 3 seconds, at half throttle. It looked pretty quick when we were flying it outside, but there was nothing to avoid or guage the speed. I guess a 3.5 ounce model with 6 ounces of thrust is just too much for a small facility. I just ordered two new motors with half the power of the one we're using as well as new much lighter props in an effort to better control the speed. Inside the building it's just so fast that there is no time to react, even at half throttle. In a large golf or soccer dome, it would be an absolute blast. It's just way too much for the small gym. It flies so well that as soon as we get the speed right, it will be just like real racing, a pleasure to fly. The new motors and props should be here by Wednesday so we should be able to go out again next Friday.

Just thought I'd let you know, Arch

Ed Smith 02-28-2009 05:45 AM

IT'S TOO FREAKING FAST!!!!

Archie, there is no such thing as a "Too fast" Pylon Racer. Are you sure the years are not passing "Too fast"?

Ed

Arch Adamisin 02-28-2009 12:36 PM

Ed,
If I'd been flying that would probably be correct , but Jeff was flying. Flying in a confined space with two basketball backboards and people to avoid made it a lot more interesting.

Arch

Iceman67 03-02-2009 08:49 AM

To be successful, I believe that a smaller motor and flat pitched prop (4 x 2.5) would slow them down significantly. A (2) pole 60' course and say 20mph racer would be great for indoors. Perhaps going to a single surface wing would help to create more drag. From the sounds of it, the thing is almost as fast as a speed 400 racer which is proof of how far electrics have come.

My 2 cents

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana

Jeff Adamisin 03-10-2009 09:14 PM

Here's a video from todays flight of the Mini-Q-500 Conspirator 500. It was flown with a hacker 2900 kv motor and a two cell 260 lipo. Here is the link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a75GY56N9Vw

Jeff Adamisin 03-10-2009 09:26 PM

Oh Yeah sorry about the sound....Still learning to use this new IMAC computer. More videos to come.
Jeff Adamisin

Kevin Matney 03-12-2009 12:24 AM

Ha ED is this to fast for you.

GSJames 03-12-2009 08:35 AM

Wow, that's pretty quick. :D I can barely imagine 3-4 or those rockets going around at the same time. The Adamisin family has always been pioneers in model aviation, from when Arch and Dennis were kids and Big Art took them to the midwestern CL contests where they were the scourge of the stunt circle, and even continuing through today. Perhaps these little screamers would also be the perfect set up for "park racing" with a simple two pole short course down at the local school yard. Of course you Michigan boys are going to have to wait a couple of weeks for it to warm up a bit. [X(]

Make some "Park Pylons" from a couple of 5-gal "Homer buckets" filled with concrete with a piece of PVC stuck in and sawed off flush and a 10-15 ft piece of smaller diameter PVC to slip fit into the socket. Instant pylon! (mix some scrap foam into the concrete if the bucket is too heavy, but don't make it too light or it will blow over)

This could be the beginning of a really cool new racing event and if flown at the local schoolyard, it might bring more people into the hobby when they see how cool they are. Let us know when you have basic drawings Arch, I'd like to put one together and take it to our local Q-25 series.

Iceman67 03-12-2009 10:57 AM

I think that an outdoor park class racer is an excellent idea. The original 1811-2000Kv power-system and the GWS prop or APC outdoors would make for some great racing on a 200' (2) pylon course. I believe that the total power-system and radio equipment cost is around $40. The 2S 460 batteries are only $5 ea. Hobby City is a dangerous site to visit if you are an airplane enthusiast.

I think if there is an indoor facility that can be used that is as big as the one they flew at this week, then it would also be a great indoor event as well. I know that dad has ordered a new 5gr motor & some props to try to slow it down to fly in a gym. With some minor rules to govern it, it could be a great way to keep us northern boys flyin through the winter and on those nice calm summer nights if you can get permission to fly on the ball diamonds under the lights.

Scorpion Racing 03-12-2009 11:56 AM

So I guess a 2S-460 for a beginner class and a 3S-460 for advanced class? Could be pretty cool! I will keep my eyes on this.