RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   Help with 428 Q-500 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8488608-help-428-q-500-a.html)

Ed Sabini 02-17-2009 09:26 PM

Help with 428 Q-500

Hello,
I used to race years ago and I have gotten the bug again this past weekend. I came across a deal at the swap meet for two Bird of Prey airplanes. One has a Nelson AAC short stroke that is new and the other a new long stroke.

Can someone please help with the following

Engine set ups - head spacing / liner ( I used to run F-1 years ago so I can set up engines)
What props for each engine
Servos in both are Hitec HS 225 - I would like something better, what is recommended
Tanks - these have Jett tanks are they good

Thanks so much for your help

ED

Bill Vargas 02-18-2009 12:21 AM

RE: Help with 428 Q-500

ED, Welcome back to Pylon :D

I would leave the engines alone until they are fully broken in. You can find break in instructions at www.pspec.com As for engine settings, take measurements now and note them. Tools that you might need to do this can be found over at www.darrolcady.com/Accessories/accessories.htm On the LS typically there's no liner shim(188) and the head is approx 18,,, not sure/don t remember on the SS. Plug readings will dictate the way to go when making head spacing moves. As for props, thats going to depend on what type of day "conditions" are. For LS a good starting out prop would be a 8.8x8.75 and launch at or about 1 - 1.5k rpm's down from peak,,, SS same prop at or about 5 - 1k rpm's down from peak. After a few runs you'll get the idea on how to "needle" your engines, its easy :D

As for servos, I use Jr 3121's or Jr DS3421's and Jr 341's for the throttle.

As for tanks, its a matter of preference. Tetra tanks can be found at www.pspec.com also,,, don t for get your fueler(tanker), it can be found at www.jettengineering.com

Hope that helps and have fun!

BV

Ed Sabini 02-18-2009 05:38 PM

Hi Bill,
Thank you very much. I am not sure if these engines were ever taken apart, that is why I needed to know the spacing. I decided to go with Tetra tanks from Central Hobbies since that is what I used when I flew pattern. I looked at the Jett tanks and saw what looked like white flakes or powder in the bags so i junked them today.

Looking forward to flying weather, cold rain here today.

Ed

daven 02-18-2009 10:00 PM

I ran the SS Nelsons at .191 / .011 as did many others.

A good setting, start with the 8.8" x 8.75 like Bill said, start rich and dial it in slowly till you get the hang of it.

If you are a futaba guy, the Digital 9650's work very well, although you have to cut the plastic brackets off the sides of them to mount normally. I prefer the Tetra tanks, but I've used many Jett tanks, and they do work fine.

For the LS, I think people are running them all over the place depending on conditions and props. Depending on what prop you run, you may want to vary your settings. I'd leave it for now, and adjust it if you can't get it to run. LS motors can burn up fast, so start off very rich, and if you hear it starting to sag or go lean in the air, shut if off immediately.

DMyer 02-19-2009 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Ed Sabini

Hi Bill,
Thank you very much. I am not sure if these engines were ever taken apart, that is why I needed to know the spacing. I decided to go with Tetra tanks from Central Hobbies since that is what I used when I flew pattern. I looked at the Jett tanks and saw what looked like white flakes or powder in the bags so i junked them today.

Looking forward to flying weather, cold rain here today.

Ed

Ed,

Where are you planning to race 428 with those BOP's? We are planning three 428 races at our Bowie MD PGRC field this year. We have a small group of racers that are committed to flying 428 (in addition to 424) this season and could sure use some more contestants to round out the 428 matrix and improve the contest. We would love to see you and any of your 428 friends.

dan myer