RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Q-500 Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/)
-   -   The Boomer by Bill Vargas (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/q-500-racing-149/8758822-boomer-bill-vargas.html)

DonStegall 05-11-2009 05:26 AM

The Boomer by Bill Vargas

1 Attachment(s)
Bill Vargas got one of my Smasher fuselages and composite tails. He mated it with a Vortex wing. He was very happy with the flight characteristics. But he really liked my fiberglass and composite work. And my mold making on the composite tail.

Bill is a prolific experimenter. He produced his Racer II, but he produced many different versions of it for himself. And he has done a lot of Quickie design. He knew of my Seeker tail project with Dave Norman and mentioned doing a fuselage with me. Even though I have a bunch of Q-500 stuff already, I told him that if he produced a plug, I would make molds.

A couple of weeks ago I got a package. It contained a beautiful fuselage plug for a plane Bill calls the Boomer. It uses the 66-012 airfoil. It does not have a stab saddle in it yet. Bill was going to let me add that. What I have decided to do is make a first set of molds without a stab saddle. That way any tail can be fitted. Then when we have it right, I can make a new set of molds with either a saddle for a glue-in tail, or a bolt-on tail.

I’m pretty busy, but making molds is easy for me. All I have to do is make the parting plate and I will be ready to make the molds for the Boomer.

Here are some pictures of the plug.

Bill Vargas 05-11-2009 07:12 AM

RE: The Boomer by Bill Vargas

Don, don t forget about the Racer II,,, :)

BV

DHULEN 05-11-2009 03:33 PM

That looks gerat!!!

DonStegall 05-11-2009 04:11 PM

I should have the molds made within a month. Of course Bill gets the first ones. ;):D

Duane,

Have you finished that Extreme Wing you got from me? What did you think of the quality and the strength? Think it is plenty strong for 428?

Bill Vargas 06-09-2010 07:34 PM

Something tells me that Don has faded away and my project is STUCK in what use to be his shop,,,,

BV

daven 06-10-2010 11:02 AM

Its too bad Bill, looks like a great looking plug...

Bill Vargas 06-10-2010 11:12 AM

yea it was,,, recieved an email from him stating that he sent it back at the end of April or the first week of May,,, its now June.

Something just ain t right here.

BV

[email protected] 06-10-2010 05:13 PM

He did advise me in April this year that because of failing eyesight and general poor health he was quiting modelling until things came right for him.

I guess he will liveup to his words..............regards Trevor H:Dnz

diggs_74 06-11-2010 07:12 AM

Well, if Don said he sent it back he must have, right? I'm sure it must have gotten lost in the mail or something :eek:

daven 06-11-2010 08:23 AM

sounds like you got STEALgalled.

Bill Vargas 06-11-2010 09:06 AM

yea,,, the next email to me he says he sent it via USPS but then changes the story and said UPS and now won t give a date or a tracking number,,, I'm with you Dave.

BV

diggs_74 06-11-2010 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: daven

That was great Dave.. I'm still chuckling...

Bill Vargas 06-17-2010 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: daven

I wonder how many others got stung[sm=angry_smile.gif]

BV

Tony344 06-19-2010 07:10 PM

I got all my money back from Don, when he couldn't fill my order.

Shame really, I was looking forward to a couple of Smashers...

Vendata 06-20-2010 09:58 PM

Hi Guys,
I hear some of you guys have had trouble getting your order filled from Don Stegall, 18 months ago I ordered a Q500 off him sent the money over to him & all I got was excuses / promises about 9 months went past so I asked him for my money back. He had my money all that time. My freind in Australia also had the same trouble with him, he also demanded his money back. I would never deal with this person ever again. He made me promises that he knew he would not keep. He should not advertise if he cant make up the orders to every body.

[email protected] 06-20-2010 11:08 PM

Like many I to was disappointed with Don's service, but in saying that he has kept to his word- I paid for kits about May lasy year and was 'fobbed off', he was very poor in communication BUT he has promised to pay back the monies owed in two installments- so far one of them has been paid and I expect the other to be initiated this week. I'll let you all know if he fails! regaerds trevor henderson:)nz

Conrod 06-21-2010 12:41 AM

Dave… you can take your non existent Boomer, and put a cold Jett on the front, and race it in non existent SIG pylon. :D

Vendata 06-21-2010 01:01 AM

Yep!! I will have to warm it up First.

Bill Vargas 06-28-2010 02:31 PM

Well after waiting over a year,,, my plug came back home.

Hope you guys get your stuff back;)

BV

BarryReade 06-28-2010 03:16 PM

Glad to hear you got your plug back BV.  Does that mean you will be producing the Boomer in some kind of kit form???  IMWTK!!

Bill Vargas 06-29-2010 10:07 AM

Hi Barry, its won t be long till I get something going with my Boomer project,,, I am having to start from scratch again and come up with an idea or 2 or 3 for tail config's,,, Conventional, wood V tail and a composite V tail,,, The composite V tail will be bolt on. The wood tails will be left up to the builder on which they wish to use. So the back end of the plug is gonna have to be tweeked here and there. The standard wing is going to be the same wing that I made for the Racer II,,, a composite wing is in the works too.

BV

BarryReade 06-29-2010 11:17 AM

OK, I am looking for something so I can move up to 424 next year and figure to build 4 planes and hopefully they will survive the season.