Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

storing a new engine

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

storing a new engine

Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 PM
spitfire66

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default storing a new engine

I bought a DL 50 new in box a few months ago and I don't think I will be getting around to running it until next spring. I am wondering if I should add any kind of lube to the engine while it sits in the box for the extended season for the bearings.

Also, is there a serial number that is supposed to be stamped on the engine anywhere? I was reading about knock offs from China duplicating the DL 50 that do not have correct stamping. How do I tell?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 PM
haasjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: storing a new engine

I always use Marvel Mystery oil when I store engines for the season but almost any light machine oil should be ok, I don't think you need to use oil but it sure won't hurt anything.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 AM
WCB

Using oil in engines for storage is for glow engines. Gas engines don't need it. Put it in the box and put it on the shelf and it will be ready when you need it.

Here is the link to the information about the counterfeit DL's.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DL55ENGINE.html
Old 09-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: haasjj

I always use Marvel Mystery oil when I store engines for the season but almost any light machine oil should be ok, I don't think you need to use oil but it sure won't hurt anything.
I do to. I just wish they had called it something different. If you say: "I used a light, penetrating polarized oil to reduce blow-by and varnishing" they nod appreciatively. If you say" I used Marvel Mystery Oil" they say: "Haw! Did you buy it from some guy hawking it off the back of a wagon as a miracle cure all at a carnival?"

I buy it by the gallon for my '56 Ford tractor. She misses the lead in her gas and needs a ring-job . . . both since 1972.

PS - you can also put a few drops if Dextron ATF in the plug-hole and cycle the piston manually a few times. That's basically all after-run oil is.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:08 PM
ChuckW

If it is a new engine in the box then you really don't have to do anything special other than keep it in a clean, dry place. If you decide that you want to add alittle light oild though, it won't hurt anything.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 PM
spitfire66

Thanks guys. Always the #1 resource!
Old 09-17-2010, 07:47 PM
spitfire66

I have read Troy Builts information on the DL50/55. My engine has DL 50 cast on the front and back of the cylinder case, but I cannot find a serial number anywhere. The only number I have found is on the throttle arm and it is 338. I thought the serial number would be cast on the block. Did they only start doing this on the DLE 55? I have looked at a bunch of pictures on google images and they are absolutely identicle to what I have. Same box, same color of ignition and ignition wires, and same castings.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
WCB

Spitfire,
I'd email Jeff at TBM and ask him. It is sort of strange that there is no SN on your engine. I have a DLE 30 and it says DLE and has a SN clearly visible on the block.