Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Spinners and APC Props Not Compatible?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes Spinners and APC Props Not Compatible?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
shaggy48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Spinners and APC Props Not Compatible?

Well it has been a few months since I've broken a prop on the planes I've been flying, but as sometimes happens I made a little boobo while taxiing and ran off the runway. Broke the Zinger pro prop from a nose -over in the rough weeds lining our field. Didn't have anymore Zingers with me so I thought I'd try one of the APC 12X6s I had in my box for what I thought would be for just such an occasion. Surprised me that although the prop was the correct size, it would not fit with the GP 2 1/4 spinner on my plane. And I'm not just talking about needing to cut out a little more room for the spinner to clear the prop hub. I"m talking about those two little protrusions (or pins) on the spinner backplate that seem to be there to prevent the prop from spinning inside the spinner. If using the APC prop, the screws holding the front of the spinner to the backplate will not line up with the holes on the backplate because the APC hub is so much bigger than the Zinger of the same size. The only way I can see for the APC to work with the GP spinner, is if I broke off one or both of those little pins. I decided not to break them since I had more zinger props at home. I could have just flown without the spinner but I had another plane to fly so I just did that instead. But I'm surprised that the Great Planes spinners are made that way. Seems foolish to make it so you can't use common props. I've got some MA props too but haven't tried one of them with the GP spinner yet. They have pretty big hubs too.

Just curious if this is common and I'm just now finding out. Also has anyone broken off those little tabs off the backplate of their spinner and not had their prop spin? I guess if the prop nut is tight it shouldn't spin but I'm guessing those little pins are there for a good reason? In case it matters, the plane is an escapade with the saito 56 (four -stroke).

Appreciate any responses.
Shaggy
Old 09-17-2010, 01:28 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Great Planes Spinners and APC Props Not Compatible?

Some people use a 2-1/4 spinner with 9 inch props while others use it with 12 inch or bigger. Prop blade shape and width vary a lot from brand to brand and between sizes. If they made the slots big enough for the APC 12x6, the spinner would look horrible wrapped around a 9x6 of any brand.

The pins should never actually touch the prop. I think they are there mostly to assist with alignment.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Charlie P.

I've owned several GP models and use APC on most of my glow models and haven't encountered that problem. Spinner size is more determined by the model's cowl than the prop. May just be that model. Is it one that can be glow or electric? Could also be that when you were opening the clearance holes you removed plastic that led to the pins clearance issue.

As carrellh said, they're not really vital and can be removed.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I just started having Dave brown custom cut my spinners for apc's. It only $5 more.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:47 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: shaggy48

Also has anyone broken off those little tabs off the backplate of their spinner and not had their prop spin? I guess if the prop nut is tight it shouldn't spin but I'm guessing those little pins are there for a good reason?

Those pins on the GP all plastic spinners are there for a reason and that purpose is to index the the trailing edge of the prop up aginst as you assemble the backplate, prop and spinner combination.

I have on occassion cut them off especially when recutting or opening up the cutouts to clear a larger prop. A much better plan though is to throw away the chezzy plastics all together and use an aluminum type with single center bolt and crankshaft adapter nut. Also I prefer aluminum spinners with the capture groove on the outer perimeter of the backplate.

John
Old 09-17-2010, 09:06 PM
shaggy48

Sounds like that little pin is not necessary after all.  Thanks all.  I will know for next time to just cut them off without worry.  As for the cheesy plastic spinners well what can I say.  They are flimsy for sure.  But,  they have worked just fine for me so far, and don't look bad on my little plane(s).  Besides, I'm just not that good yet.  Still scratch-in em up and break em every once in awhile.  Just like props, I like pro-zingers on my yak and escapade.  But they break too easily.  So I now fly with the MA on the yak because they last longer by taking a little more abuse before I am forced to replace them. 

If I had been flying with an MA on the Escapade, that little nose-over would not have cost me a prop.    When I no longer break them so frequently, I may consider some nicer stuff.   But until then I figure why throw away 30 to 50 dollars on a spinner when I can throw away 5?  But knowing me, I may never spend that much for a spinner when the cheaper 5 to 10 dollar ones will do. 

Shaggy.