Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What Paint matches ultracote??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Paint matches ultracote??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Paint matches ultracote??

Hello,

Well I have a fiberglass cowl for my GP extra 300, and I covered in ultracote. I don't want to paint the cowl just a solid color, I want to add striping that matches the fuselage, soI want to know the best way to do that. Ultracote on fiberglass?Matching paint? Tips and advice greatly appreciated!!

Jason
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: What Paint matches ultracote??

I have ironed on Ultracote on top of fiberglass, but only on areas where the fiberglass part is nearly flat. And if the ultracote piece is fairly small like a stripe. If you want to paint, the high-end way to go is to buy pre-mixed automotive paint from Tony Stillman at Radio South (http://www.radiosouthrc.com/). You tell him what color you have and he already has the recipe to match that color (or if he has never supplied that color you can send him a sample and he will create the right color to match).

The only downside is the cost. I think it's like $40 minimum for one color. And you need a sprayer / compressor.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ultracote used to make there own matching paint but they no longer do. My LHS still has some of the colors on the shelf and I try to buy a can every time I go there, I use quite a bit of there red. Getting really hard to locate. I have had it color matched at the Dupont paint store too with good luck. I have also found matches at the local hardware store.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
LargeScale88

Thanks. I found at walmart that Rustoleum seems to have a pretty good match.