Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Magnum XLS Engines

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Magnum XLS Engines

Old 09-23-2010, 03:06 PM
SMOKEFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XLS Engines

Just getting back into flying after a couple of year break. I always ran O/S and TT nitro engines and im not really wanting to jump into electric. My question is what is everyone expierence with the Magnum XLS line. I had a couple of magnums in the past that just were not that great, but reviews of the newer stuff looks good.

Thanks everyone
Shawn
Old 09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Magnum XLS Engines

People's choice. I like them. Just my 2cents worth. They run great for me and the price is right
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 PM
SMOKEFAN

Cool thank you

Anyone else I know more of you have these.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Magnum .61 two stroke that I bought new. It gave me some trouble at first. Didn't seem to want to respond to the high-end needle adjustments. It would run way too hot. But after 3 or 4 tanks of fuel and some adjusting of the low-end needle it got better and better. Now it runs great! Seemed to need a little longer break-in period than some engines.

I also have a used Magnum .52 four stroke that I bought off Ebay. It has run great since day 1! I never understood why the guy wanted to sell it!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I have 2 Magnum 91 four strokes, and my flying buddy has 2. They run great with no issues. Both are inverted inside cowls.

steve p
Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM
SMOKEFAN

Any feedback on the .46 for reliability and power?

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Old 09-24-2010, 12:46 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

I've got 3 .46 XLS engines. If they're broken in correctly, run on 10-15% nitro, 16-20% oil, and with a medium to hot glow plug (i.e. OS A3 or A8) they run fine. The only problem I've experienced with them was that one of the carb hold down screws vibrated out, even after applying thread lock. This caused the engine to run too lean. It ran fine on the ground, but would quit after a few minutes airborne. So like any engine, you need to perform period checks to make sure all the crankcase/muffler/carb bolts stay tight.

Powerwise, the .46's seem to hold their own against other 46 sized engines. I've been flying a H9 Arrow with a Magnum 46 with a 10x6 Evolution Prop. A friend at the field has the same plane with an OS 46 with an 11x5 prop. We've both flown each others planes, and he thinks mine's got more power, while I think his has more. Go figure.

I think the last .46 I bought was $49 on sale at HobbyPeople. For the money, they're a good engine. If you need more power, their .52 XLS 2S is great. They seem to be a bit more finicky to break-in that the .46's, but once they're running... impressive!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:01 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I've got a .46 xls on an Avistar that I use quite a bit for teaching people to fly. I bought it new almost two years ago and it is still running like new. It's probably had eight to ten gallons of fuel thru it so far and most of that has been with a newbie on the buddy box. It runs great on 15% Omega, #8 plug, and 11 x 6 APC. The only "complaint" I've had was that for the longest time I couldn't get it to shut off, even if I forced the barrel closed by hand. I had plug the intake or the muffler to kill it. I finally just took the carb completely apart and coated everything with lithium grease, which solved the problem. Other than that it's been a great engine, especially for the price.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:03 PM
SMOKEFAN

Bueller........Bueller...................
Old 09-25-2010, 06:17 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I had a very bad experience with two Magnum XLS-46As several years ago. They would not maintain a needle setting, would not idle reliably and would not shut off. Recently I have heard nothing but good things, so maybe Magnum has improved their quality control.

Personally I would spend the extra $$ and go for a Thunder Tiger, OS or Enya. The Enya 50SS is my favorite.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 AM
SMOKEFAN

JP I started this thread because of the recent price in TT but it looks to have been brought inline so will be continueing with TT.