Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Anyone that owns a Great Planes Escapade...Question?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Anyone that owns a Great Planes Escapade...Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:36 PM
CGCINC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone that owns a Great Planes Escapade...Question?

The Aileron rods coming out of the wings have an oblong hole so it will move back and fourth with the servo push/pull. (see pic)
In my wings, the Aileron will travel farther down than it does up because the oblong hole is not oblong enough towards the back edge of the wing.
I filed and shaved mine out so there is full travelboth ways.
Just want to make sure I should have done that?

Picture borrowed from Alvinrc.com ...
Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Anyone that owns a Great Planes Escapade...Question?

Don't own one, but it doesn't matter if they are equal as long as either directionachieved the maximum recommended throw from the manual. Too much aileron is . . . too much aileron.

PS - not to worry about it yet(or ever withthis model) but down aileron is somewhat redundant and you could fly pretty wellinputting only up aileron on the side to which you want to bank and leaving the opposite side neutral. But you can't play with that on a single-aileron servo craft.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Don't own one, but it doesn't matter if they are equal as long as either directionachieved the maximum recommended throw from the manual. Too much aileron is . . . too much aileron.

PS - not to worry about it yet(or ever withthis model) but down aileron is somewhat redundant and you could fly pretty wellinputting only up aileron on the side to which you want to bank and leaving the opposite side neutral. But you can't play with that on a single-aileron servo craft.
Up aileron is what was limited. I'm sure it would have worked fine but now it is a little more free moving.
It's my first Balsa plane so I just want to make sure it's right.... Then I can't blame the future crash on anything but pilot error!!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CGCINC

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Don't own one, but it doesn't matter if they are equal as long as either direction achieved the maximum recommended throw from the manual. Too much aileron is . . . too much aileron.

PS - not to worry about it yet (or ever with this model) but down aileron is somewhat redundant and you could fly pretty well inputting only up aileron on the side to which you want to bank and leaving the opposite side neutral. But you can't play with that on a single-aileron servo craft.
Up aileron is what was limited. I'm sure it would have worked fine but now it is a little more free moving.
It's my first Balsa plane so I just want to make sure it's right.... Then I can't blame the future crash on anything but pilot error!!
I had to trim a trainer slot out one time that was just like that. The thing would not move enough in the slot. I just cut some more space there and made sure everything was freed up. It works fine now. I do prefer dual servos on ailerons though, but the single servo works well that is all you need until you get more advanced and want to beef up your game a little.

How soon will it be before you are getting her airborne?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
CGCINC

How soon will it be before you are getting her airborne?

It's will be probably next weekend. I'm waiting on my Futaba 8FG to get here.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did exactly what I did, which is to open things up to allow full travel.
bhady
Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGCINC

The Aileron rods coming out of the wings have an oblong hole so it will move back and fourth with the servo push/pull. (see pic)
In my wings, the Aileron will travel farther down than it does up because the oblong hole is not oblong enough towards the back edge of the wing.
I filed and shaved mine out so there is full travel both ways.
Just want to make sure I should have done that?
The blocking was simply a manufacturing mistake. Guaranteed, blocking that hole was not on purpose to do anything worthwhile.

You should always do things like that.

Good move.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:45 PM
CGCINC

Good....

Don't wanna screw it up Before I fly it.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Roo Man

I have had to do the sane thing on a couple of planes, it's not problem.

On your maiden, watch the ground handling, the Escapade can be squirley on take off roll. Start slow to get lined up and add power slowly while maintaing a straight roll. Mine also wants to land a little fast so I would keep 2 or 3 clicks of throttle until you are down close to runway.

Watch the tail gear, as mne was very fimsy and had to be replaced, may have been my rough landings when first started flying.

It's a great plane, have fun.

Gary
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 PM
CGCINC

ORIGINAL: Roo Man

I have had to do the sane thing on a couple of planes, it's not problem.

On your maiden, watch the ground handling, the Escapade can be squirley on take off roll. Start slow to get lined up and add power slowly while maintaing a straight roll. Mine also wants to land a little fast so I would keep 2 or 3 clicks of throttle until you are down close to runway.

Watch the tail gear, as mne was very fimsy and had to be replaced, may have been my rough landings when first started flying.

It's a great plane, have fun.

Gary
Thanks for the info!! The tail gear is pretty flimsy so I think it's just how it is.