Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Receiver after a crash

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Receiver after a crash

Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
lablover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver after a crash

When you crash, what do you do with the receiver? Do you range check it and use it again...Do you send it in for repair/Check out. Just curious cause I know have a few I could use but have been in a wreck.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
da Rock

Default RE: Receiver after a crash

Range check. Especially with the motor running. MOF, run the motor WOT and in between at max range for a check to see if vibration matters. That won't prove it for sure, but will show some problems (if they're there).

Many of the modern RXs have very few solder connections and such and are much tougher than the earlier generation RXs.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Rock said, it's for PPM and PCM. If it was really one of my better crashes and it's a good RX I send it into Radio South and let them check it out for me. I just ship them to him in those cheap pre-paid boxes at the post office. If it's a lower end RX then I do like Rock said then use it. I have only ever really killed one RX in a crash but I always test them before I trust them.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 PM
lablover

They are all 2.4 Spektrum AR7000
Old 09-26-2010, 08:17 PM
ChuckW

You can do a good range check and maybe have someone tap it or shake it to make sure it doesn't do anything weird. If you still aren't confident though, call Horizon and tell them you want to send it in for check out. Then ship it to them with a note explaining that it was in a crash and you'd like to have it tested. You'll generally get it back in a few weeks. I have never been charged for this but I cannot say for sure if that is their normal policy.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

You can do a good range check and maybe have someone tap it or shake it to make sure it doesn't do anything weird. If you still aren't confident though, call Horizon and tell them you want to send it in for check out. Then ship it to them with a note explaining that it was in a crash and you'd like to have it tested. You'll generally get it back in a few weeks. I have never been charged for this but I cannot say for sure if that is their normal policy.

What Chuck said!! The 2.4s are a lot better at taking a hit then the 72s too. I had one student loose his plane due to a brown out, a very early RX with a long time lock out. It looked like a hammer was taken to it. Horizon sent him a new RX free of charge. Good People to deal with.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM
lablover

Alright then

Off to Horizon they go. I wish I still had the receipts.. they are less than a year old. Thanks for the advice