Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Turning Power On and Off to Servos

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Turning Power On and Off to Servos

Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
davidgeorge212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning Power On and Off to Servos

Hi, I am working on a project where I need to use two servos by remote control but I also need to be able to turn the power off and back on to just those two servos and not the receiver. I need to be able to remotely take away all the power to the servo so that the servo arm is not held in place and can rotate back and forth. Then I need to be able to remotely turn the power back on to the servos so I can use them again. Does anyone think this is possible to do and if so how could I go about doing it?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM
mvallyman
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Turning Power On and Off to Servos

You could use a servo to work a switch, why would you want to do this?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM
davidgeorge212

Well, (sort of complicated but,) we are building a robot with the parts off of a wheel chair and we half to come up with a mechanical device that can remotely control the joystick off the wheel chair. We half to control the joystick by both servos for R/C and by LEGO NXT motors for autonomous use. We only have one joystick so we will half to hook up both servos and nxt motors to control the same stick. The nxt motors will coast or free spin when you program them to so the servos will be able to over come the joystick and lego motors but the lego motors cant move the servos if they have power on them. So I some how need to turn the power off to the servos temporarily so I can make the lego motors over ride the servo motors to control the joystick. Then when I switch back to R/C I need to turn the servos back on to control it again. If that even makes since

I thought about using a switch but Im not sure if/how that would work. Would the servos need a separate power source on a switch that would turn them on and off?
Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put the switch in the red (positive) lead to the servo. I have done this to interlock landing gear cover door servo mechanisms.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:30 PM
davidgeorge212

ok, I got it to work just like I wanted it to.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ch # 5 is already assigned to a switch, it's automatic and it just has to be activated in the radio.