Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Solartex and Poly-Tak

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solartex and Poly-Tak

Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 PM
WacoNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solartex and Poly-Tak

Hi Guys,
I am getting ready to cover my 1/3 scale AMR J-3 Cub and I purchased Solartex and Poly-Tak to cover the plane. I have been using Sig Koverall for all my fabric covered planes and decided to try the Solartex on this plane. I heard the Poly-Tak really helps to anchor the Solartex so I purchased a pint along with a 10 meter roll of the Cub Yellow.

What is the best method for applying the Poly-Tak and Solartex. I am assuming you brush on a thin coat of the Poly-Tak and let it dry then a light sanding before ironing the Solartex down? Do you need to put Poly-Tak on the edge of the 1st piece before overlaping the 2nd piece onto it? I will be putting pinked edge tapes from Pink-It.net over all the seams once the covering is complete. I will also be spraying a coat of Yellow paint over the entire plane once all the details are added to help seal everything and make the finish a little more opaque and to assure the fiberglass parts color match.

Thanks for tips in advance!!
Anthony
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Solartex and Poly-Tak

If you cleaned and used a tack cloth on your wood there is no need to add anything else with the TEX, it holds down just fine all on it's own. On some old planes I have recovered I have used some Lacquer hair spray on the wood for some added hold. Try it out of some scrap and see what you think. I have tried Balsarite once and found it more work then it was worth, sounds like the same product.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:37 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check with Chip Mull at F&M Enterprises. With Stits covering, the Poly-Tak is put down wet, in very small sections (10" or so), the covering laid on the wet surface, and then the covering is adhered by trying to get the Poly-Tak to come up through the weave with a dry brush. The Poly-Tak is also very thick so I thin it down with MEK to make it easier to work with. If it gets on top of the covering, Poly-Tak can leave some bumpy residue. Wiping those areas down with a rag lightly dampened with MEK will help smooth it out.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM
TomCrump

When I use Solartex, I don't spend big $$$ on Poly-Tak. Jerry Nelson suggested that I use Aquanet hairspray. I sprayed the stuff on and let it dry. The Solartex was then ironed on.

I found no need to apply adhesive under the overlaps, or under Pink-It tapes.

The process worked well. The model was then painted with Nelson Paints. After two seasons of flying, using a twin cylinder glo motor, the paint and covering are holding up well. I have no lifting of the rib tapes or the covering.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
bjboise406
My Feedback: (1)

does anybody know of a supplier for the system 3 paint colors that Jerry Nelson sold. He is out of business and I am in the middle of a project. [email protected]
Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Rodney

I use a lot of Solartex and have never found a need for any additional adhesive on new structure. On some old recovering jobs I have found that if I take any aliphatic glue such as Titebond and coat the surface with as thin a coat as I can put on, let it dry, then iron down the covering over the dried glue works well for all types of covering, even monocote.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Campy

As long as your airframe is free of dust, etc, SolarTex will adhere fine. No need to worry about sealing the
overlaps - the adhesive does just fine.

One suggestion I will make with SolarTex is: After you have all your trim, detail painting and decals on,
give the plane a clearcoat. SolarTex is fuel proof, however, the weave is a BIG DIRT MAGNET. The clearcoat
makes cleanup much easier.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rodney

I use a lot of Solartex and have never found a need for any additional adhesive on new structure. On some old recovering jobs I have found that if I take any aliphatic glue such as Titebond and coat the surface with as thin a coat as I can put on, let it dry, then iron down the covering over the dried glue works well for all types of covering, even monocote.
Rod, I have tried thinned down Titebond, about 40/60 blend of water and used it on an old surface after I had cleaned the surface with alcohol and the covering stuck well even after the wood had gotten oil on it. The glue doesn't have to be full strength. Good stuff!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 AM
WacoNut

I used a tack cloth and applied the Solartex to the bare wood. The plane was covered in Cub Yellow Solartex. I did not like how transparent the covering was so I applied 3 coats of latex mixed to match the Solartex after the rib/reinforcement tapes were applied. I think it turned out pretty good.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64338.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1531320  
Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: bjboise406

does anybody know of a supplier for the system 3 paint colors that Jerry Nelson sold. He is out of business and I am in the middle of a project. [email protected]

You might check with Warbird Colors. I would think they are the same paint, especially since they are located in Oregon and I'm pretty sure that's where Nelson's paint came from.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
sscherin

Nelsons closed? That sucks..

Well you can go straight to System 3 but they only stock 12 basic colors.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/...opcoat-c29.htm

Color Card
http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrar...Color_Card.pdf
Old 12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Oberst
Banned

You don't need any Poly-Tak.

I just use a clean towel, wipe down the balsa before I start my covering until I can't see anymore dirt coming off. I'm using Solartex on my Fokker DR1 rebuild and I love Solartex! If you don't have tack cloth, don't sweat it because you don't really need it.

Pete
Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: sscherin

Nelsons closed? That sucks..

Well you can go straight to System 3 but they only stock 12 basic colors.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/...opcoat-c29.htm

Color Card
http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrar...Color_Card.pdf
Nelson is closed.....that IS bad news. I loved his paint. Was the only one I've found that looked almost as good brushed as it did sprayed. I'm going to have to make his Chromate Green last forever!!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Rodney

Augie11, try KlassKote, it also goes on well using a brush instead of spray.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Augie11, try KlassKote, it also goes on well using a brush instead of spray.
Thanks for the recommendation Rodney. I hit their website yeaterday and the product sounds a lot like Nelson. Will give it a shot.

Augie
Old 12-12-2010, 02:49 PM
CurtD

Klasskote is nothing like Nelson's. Nelsons / System 3 is a water-based single part paint that has virtually no odor. only the primer is two-part. Klasskote is a two-part epoxy similar to the old K&B Superpoxy system. It is definitely not low-odor.

I sure hope someone picks up at least the paint supply part of Nelson's Hobbies. AFAIK there's no other way to get the perfectly matching Monokote, Ultrakote and military colors he had. I've got just enough red, white, and black to finish one more airplane...