Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what is the best RC transmiter out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what is the best RC transmiter out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 AM
coachdavis10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is the best RC transmiter out there?

My two cents worth here on this subject is the Airtronics RDS 8000... Easy to use and program... Have had zero problems with it... Antenna's are a little aggravating on the recievers in small planes but no big deal there.... I have upgraded my TX battery to Nimh 2700... i don't remember who said it but you'll get different answers from as many people as you ask...
Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Nitro777

Go to google and type in "spectrum problems/ issues"  do the same with Futaba and all other brands...............see if you are still considering DSM2 technology after that. 
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

The JR/Spektrum detractors (who are really the only ones being over sensitive on this thread, by the way) forgot to mention that DSM technology is patent-protected, whereas frequency hopping has been around for decades - i.e., it’s a much older technology - and is in the public domain. This is why only JR/Spektrum can offer DSM; the others simply don’t have that option... The JR/Spektrum platform also happens to be the market leader in 2.4GHz by a very long margin.

Like most advanced radio systems, DSM is indeed more sensitive to power supply than the simpler hopping systems. Just be smart and careful when you power up your receiver and you will be worry-free, with additional safety features such as ModelMatch, which only JR/Spektrum can offer, among many other perks, exclusive and otherwise. I am among the ever increasing number of modelers using A123 batteries for all my onboard systems in internal combustion models. It is clearly the type of power to have nowadays.

As to JR moving out of DSM, here is a recent official statement issued by JR:

To Our Valued JR Customers:

During the recent BMFA Nationals, a new JR 7 channel radio system using DMSS was shown by our UK distributor. This system uses a technology that is incompatible with DSM2 in order to meet a market need where DSM2 is not available to JR. Unfortunately, several individuals made statements that JR finds very misleading and require correction.

JR remains committed to future development with DSM technologies and to our customers who currently own JR equipment using the DSM standard. JR will continue to manufacture, sell, and support DSM equipment in all markets currently allowed by agreement.

It is our goal that this communication clears up any questions about JR’s intentions and that JR remains confident in and committed to the future of DSM technology around the world.

We thank you for your continued support.

Kind regards

Mooney Takamura.
International Sales Manager
JR Propo

Happy modeling, whatever your choice may be.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on whether you want to believe "Hype" or reliability. I have owned all the "Big 3" radios with 20 plus years in the hobby I have seen many things over the years.

By far value for the money is this radio!

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8992[/link]

I have been using mine for two years now and over 200 flights, not a single problem. Programming for heli, glider, and plane. I fly electrics to GS gas with it.

Recievers are inexpensive as well!

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12339[/link]

I also use this!

[link]http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8287[/link]

But unlike many people who buy a new radio I test fly EVERY receiver in a beater airplane. I NEVER trust a new radio until tested.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
RCER88

Oh I forgot to add. Built by Imax in the same factory as JR.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: RCER88

That radio might be the best value on the market, but my personal thought is that you are taking a risk by not buying something as well supported as an Airtronics, Hitech, Futaba, or JR radio. Sure it might be made in the same factory, but if there is a recall of the 'real' radio, or a firmware change, you will not get the service, nor the warranty coverage if something goes wrong. Again, this is my assumption. With over $2000 wrapped up in a flying package, it's worth a few extra bucks for the extra support.

Not saying not to buy the radio, just make educated purchases.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Book79

what websites should i go look at for all these transmitters?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Book79

What are some links to these transmitters?
You go into google and type in the brand name, shazam!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

I was looking to get either the Dx 8i or something just like it, What other transmitter is good to use?
I would not buy a 2.4 Ghz transmitter that does not employ Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum.

So basically, everything except JR/Spektrum are where you should be looking.

Ditto, that!

Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Jetdesign

what websites should i go look at for all these transmitters?
Tower Hobbies=Futaba, Horizon Hobbies=JR/Spektrum, HobbyPeople.net=Airtronics.

Sure there are others, these are the main USA distributors.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Hobby people, "club price" on a A9 is $329. I'm thinking about making the move over to a A9. Like my DX7 though, never had a problem, always ran 6v though.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Jetdesign

Tower probably can set up a good deal on the ATX SD-10G with Tower discounts, etc. I'm weary of the 7ch RX though, worth doing some research.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
skyhawk019

ORIGINAL: Daddyo57

Before you buy any radio, look at the JR, Futaba and then look at the Aurora 9 by Hitec. I have an A-9 and I love it! bearings on the gimbals and like the very high end JR and Futaba, it also has telelmetry. I like knowing my RX voltage and having a low voltage alarm. If you are a sport pilot this is a great radio, however if you are flying high end jets and TOC airplanes maybe the high end Futaba and JR is the way to go. It is all about your particular needs.
with few extra parts you can know your temps, fuel level and gps location, all from the aurora 9
Old 10-13-2010, 04:47 PM
carrellh

What are some links to these transmitters?
Remember, ALL say they are the best. All are good. Choose based on features you want or need and the way it feels when you hold it.

Product info
www.airtronics.net
www.futaba-rc.com
www.hitecrcd.com
http://www.jrradios.com
http://www.spektrumrc.com

Purchasing links. These are just a few...........
Airtronics
http://www.hobbypeople.net
Futaba
www.towerhobbies.com
www.advantagehobby.com
Hitec
http://www.hobbypeople.net
www.towerhobbies.com
www.advantagehobby.com
JR and Spektrum
www.horizonhobby.com
www.advantagehobby.com
Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Buy what you can afford. They all work the same!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Konrad
Banned

ORIGINAL: telejojo

The best one is the one you like and works for you.
That is the BEST answer! Now how to find it. I for one think the programing is what is key in today's radio. Beyond some simple mixes, I for one never could get my head around the Master Slave concept of most asian brands. I really much prefer the object oriented logic mixing from Multiplex. As result I fly the Profi 4000 as my #1 radio. Today that logic is found somewhat in the Royal 12 Evo http://www.multiplexusa.com/other-pr...al_evo_12.html .

As for the RF part. I think that today there is no doubt that you should go 2.4 GHZ or higher. I use both the Spektrum and Xtreme Power Systems (XPS)2.4GHz modules http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/ . Both modules work well. I will say that I have had 3 loss of radio contacts (in the house) with my DX7 radio (none with the Spektrum or XPS modules).

For my money the best radio is the one you can grow with. I still have and use my first radios Futaba and Ace brands today, 30 years later. Buy a little more than you can afford when it comes to the radio. You will be able to get back more than that in enjoyment or in the resale market if you should need to sell it.

All the best,

Konrad
Old 10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
cutaway

The hotrodders used to have a saying: "speed costs, how fast can you spend?"

"best" is a pretty broad term. If you're into radio assisted Old Timers, an $800 high end 2.4 rig is an absolute waste of money. A cheap used DX5 or used functional 4-ch 72mhz gear will work fine.

If you're into $20K turbines, then maybe used trash gear isn't what you're looking for...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM
RCER88

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

ORIGINAL: RCER88

That radio might be the best value on the market, but my personal thought is that you are taking a risk by not buying something as well supported as an Airtronics, Hitech, Futaba, or JR radio. Sure it might be made in the same factory, but if there is a recall of the 'real' radio, or a firmware change, you will not get the service, nor the warranty coverage if something goes wrong. Again, this is my assumption. With over $2000 wrapped up in a flying package, it's worth a few extra bucks for the extra support.

Not saying not to buy the radio, just make educated purchases.
Updates? Firmware upgrades? Recalls? Support is never needed if the radio works as advertised. The IMAX website has updates if needed.

As far as I know there has never been any recalls because these radios work!!!!! At $59.00 a radio if there is that drastic an update I can buy a new radio.

For the $150.00 to $400.00 plus spent on that "Overhyped" radio I can buy a bunch of updated radios.

I trust my Turnigy 9x with 200 plus flights over the last two years as much or more than my Futaba's and I have far less money into it. I don't waste my money.

I am NOT of the thought more expensive is better. That BS is marketing hype to get people to buy the overpriced radio. Which though unethical is still legal.

The radio working properly at the end of the day is what matters. Brand makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. What matters is the plane flies properly with pilot having full control over it and the ability to use any "options" that the pilot might need. To each his own. I have no problem with the guys that want to spend the big bucks on a radio. That is their choice. I just prefer to be smart and spend my money wisely. I get every function I need plus. I can fly any aircraft I want and own with it and I do.

The OP asked for options. I have experience and shared my knowledge. I will lay odds you NEVER even seen a Turnigy 9x, Flysky or Imax or held one in your hands. Let alone setup a plane with it or flew it. I have also owned all the "Big 3" over the last twenty plus years.

The OP has options. Lots of them. You don't have to go down the road "EXPENSIVE is BETTER" if you don't want too. I fly this GS gas airplane with my 9x.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45301.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	1516155  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM
DanMN

Not so much "trash gear", but "servicable" might be the term. Those cheaper Tx's work very well for the weekend flyer who's not worried about having his mixes in just like he likes them. Most weekend flyers can do fine with a DX6 or 7, or something of that ilk. Still want to have expo and adjustable rates. I have Futaba and Spektrum radios and like having both since that gives you alot of Rx options. There was a time when Futaba 2.4 Rx's were hard to find. It seems like I can go to our drug store and find Spektrum Rx's....... I will say I like the way the Futaba feels and seems connected to the plane, and they have gotten better at supplying Rx's with a wider offerring. I'm not that great a pilot, but that is JMO.

I also have friends that use the HK (Turnigy) radios and love them. I haven't tried them, but will get one for my next radio just to check them out. The price is right!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:24 PM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi, I have been in the hobby over 40 years and have owned my share of radios and the easiest radio to use I have ever had and still own is the JR 9303. It is available either in 72mhz or 2.4. This transmiter is by far the easiest radio to take from the hobby shop to the flying field and use right out of the box. (providing the batteries are fully charged. ) Unless you have very complitated models one can program most standard aircraft with out even using the manual. The menu is very easy to navigate through. It has all the mixing and programable features one would requier. The 12 x is just the same but a lot more $$$Try one out you wont be sorry.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: mike31

Buy what you can afford. They all work the same!
I typed a big long post and you covered it in one sentence.
8FG is a big disappointment. Feels like a 4 skysport. 10C is overpriced for sport flying ($150-200 ARFs), but nice, pretty.
A9, GPS of my flight, fuel tank sensors, really? I usually land 1/2 tank left because I'm tired of looking up
and someone else wants to get in the air while I talk about my new plane deal to my buddies. I don't need to spend $300-400 on a rado and I don't recommend it for the average sport flier.

I'm back on 72Mhz. $15 receivers. Futaba quality, no brown outs, fancy chargers, trying to read Chenglish manuals, and I don't need 6v batteries, li-po, or LiFe. I still run 700mah 4.8v packs, but sometimes I get exotic and try a JR 1100mah pack and fly all day. I still have a 6X radio. I use my 9C regularly. I just bought a TM-7 here on RCU for $70. I don't know why. But I'm not going to buy expensive radios anymore. Women can care less what your radio looks like.

Best radio? Something that was just replaced with a newer model and is on clearance. In 3-4 years I'll try the A9 used at $150. But I really don't care if I can see my plane's path at home on a GPS site, or if my battery is at 94% after a flight. 3 or 4 flights, I'm packing it in.

You can't reinvent the wheel. The old round ones roll just fine.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Along with all the good previous advice:

Don't just buy on features, get to a good hobby store and pick up the transmitter. See how it feels, and have the clerk show you a little about setting it up & programming. Sometimes it comes down to what you think looks/feels good. If your club or instructor favors a certain brand, that's a plus because you'll have help from knowledgable folks. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:42 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

Futaba Futaba Futaba...   they just keep getting better
I like the 10 C and the 12 C
Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 AM
pdm52956

[/quote]

I dunno what it si about Spektrum users that leads them to try and drag more people into their pot of misery.
[/quote]

Misery likes company??

But seriously, what exactly makes you think that by flying JR/Spektrum, I would consider myself in a "pot of misery" as you say? I've not recommended anything simply because when the question is asked, it turns into a battle over what you think is best versus what someone else thinks is best, and the only basis for that battle is your experience with what ever radio you like. I've not had any misery using either JR or Spektrum. Perhaps you have? Of course I do keep an eye on the voltage, but that isn't because of the radio. It's because I can, and it's prudent to do so.

None the less, I think that the best answer is to get the radio that does what you want it to do.

Just my thoughts..........
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 AM
TimBle

Of all the 2.4 users I know, only the Spektrum/JR guys have had trouble with loss of signal.
One bloke, 2 planes, gone.
Do a search for Spektrum issues or problems and the information on losses is quite significant.

Perhaps users of these radios are more ignorant of proper set up than other users but the anecdotal evidence is clear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.