Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

what is the best RC transmiter out there?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

what is the best RC transmiter out there?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Charlie P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: what is the best RC transmiter out there?

8FG is a big disappointment.
I'm happy with mine.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Of all the 2.4 users I know, only the Spektrum/JR guys have had trouble with loss of signal.
One bloke, 2 planes, gone.
Do a search for Spektrum issues or problems and the information on losses is quite significant.

Perhaps users of these radios are more ignorant of proper set up than other users but the anecdotal evidence is clear
I agree with you in that ignorance of proper set up in this hobby can lead to unexpected, or perhaps expected in some cases, consequences that are completely preventable. Failure to follow proper preventative maintenance on a piece of radio equipment can make for a bad day, but if that is the reason for choosing one brand over another, then the problem would be the failure of the pilot to educate himself as to the limitations that his equipment might have rather than making the assumption that JR/Spektrum owns the problem.

It's all good.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

My JR 10SXII 72mhz. And all my JR and Spektrum 2.4s

Really, I would say the best would be the one that never takes a signal hit in your area.

That question can never really be answered.

Steve
Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I have three JRs (8103-9303-10X)because they came with the used planes I bought. I converted two of them to 2.4. I don't worry about brownout because I have enough battery to carry the load. Also the receivers have the quick connect modification if they do brownout. They relink in a split second. As far as interference, anything that gets into 2.4Ghz area will wipe out our little section of the whole band, hoppers and all. Interference is rarely channel specific. I would buy whatever brand I was comfortable with as far as requirements and budget. I don't use anywhere near all the capacity of my radios. Mostly dual rates and expo with some elevator/aileron channels.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:06 AM
bigedmustafa

There are two emperical criteria for nominating the Airtronics SD-10g radio system as the best available:

A) Lowest latency/fastest response - the SD-10g averages 50% faster latency than Futaba's top of the line radio systems and up to 300% faster latency than JR's top of the line radio systems when used with FHSS-3 modulation receivers like the Airtronics 92104.

B) Longest certified control range - Airtronics designed the SD-10g for guaranteed control out to a 1.5 mile range. The other manufactors specify a maximum range of 1 mile for their radio platforms. Airtronics sponsors a number of competitive glider and sailplane pilots, and they designed the SD-10g to work at extremely long range.

Having flown the SD-10g on a number of airplanes and helicopters over the last few months, I haven't found anything that it doesn't do very well. It doesn't have an SD card slot, it doesn't have a color touchscreen, and it can't vibrate with force feedback when signaling an alarm. It just flies all types of RC aircraft really, really well.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM
scooterinvegas

Looking through this thread made me realize something........your ALL crazy. :-)

Buy a controller, makes sure you Rx battery is fully charged and FLY.

Seacreast out.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rambler53

8FG is a big disappointment. Feels like a 4 skysport.
I have had the 8FG for 10 months now and believe it is the best radio I have ever had in 37 years of flying RC. It has the best feel, all of the functions I need, and is very easy to program.

Bruce
Old 10-14-2010, 11:34 AM
RealFly

OK, fuel to the fire. I am a relatively new pilot, but I am a ham radio guy and electronics enthusiast.  With that said, a very good pilot and someone more experienced than me pointed me to the Futaba 10C.  I love the radio, both for its feature set and its ease of programming.  And if it isn't easy enough Traplet Pubs produces a book to aid in its programming.  The 10C does everything I need and I have from small electrics to 50cc gas warbirds  and I fly helis.

So, I thought OK, I have the 10C and I like it so, I'm going top shelf and I purchased the 14mz..  Its not as intuitive, but it does everything and everything is customizable.  If I were to do it again, I would still purchase the 10C as I still have not outgrown the radios features, however I have outgrown the number of channels in my latest warbird.  I am utilizing 11 channels and some mixing - so I Yed one of them.  I will likely switch it over to my 14 at some point as I want to add smoke.

Moral of the story - buy something with as many channels as you can afford.  I would go for at least 10 channels, 2.4, and a brand name that is going to stay around....We always bust chops on Futaba versus JR, but each camp seems happy in its choice.  Personally I am of the opinion that anything that has a separate receiver component is another point of failure - even though it may be redundant - to which the counter is if your one receiver goes than you have had it.  However, if any brands main receiver goes - however unlikely - we are both carrying the large green trashbag to the party....
Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Book79

im either going to get the aurora 9 or the fuaba 14mz 2.4ghz but i dont know the price on the futaba

Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM
ec121

You will get your feelings hurt when you price the Futaba.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
scooterinvegas

I think rc planet has the A9 for $35 less than highrizon.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

im either going to get the aurora 9 or the fuaba 14mz 2.4ghz but i dont know the price on the futaba
Good luck and happy modeling, but I can't help it: if that's the kind of equipment you're after, you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't take a serious look at the JR 11X before shelling out your dollars ...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: Book79

You are comparing a Chrysler Sebringand a Mercedes SL 550

The Futaba 14MZ is around $2,300 vs. the Aurora9 at $450 or so.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: landeck

ORIGINAL: rambler53

8FG is a big disappointment. Feels like a 4 skysport.
I have had the 8FG for 10 months now and believe it is the best radio I have ever had in 37 years of flying RC. It has the best feel, all of the functions I need, and is very easy to program.

Bruce
Glad you liked it. I didn't. I did like my 10C. Maybe this is just an issue of quality control and I got a lousy one.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: mike31

Buy what you can afford. They all work the same!

I tend to agree with you as well. I don't care for the 2.4 but that's only my preference.

I've seen too many good planes go down from 2.4 issues, or from people that don't know how to use them- but had to have them because they are hip and want the latest technology.

Then again, a friend of mine went to this years NEAT and no one had any issues.

Again, it's in the eye of the beholder on what's the best brand or radio. Most people in my club love Futaba and Airtronics, I'm the only one that is loyal to JR. I guess I dare to be different.

Pete
Old 10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Book79
...........or the fuaba 14mz 2.4ghz but i dont know the price on the futaba
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTNB1&P=0
Price $2,299.99
INCLUDES:
14MZ Transmitter
2.4GHz TM-14 Module
R6014 2.4GHz FASST 14-Channel Receiver
Data pack memory card
LT2F2200 7.4V Lithium Ion transmitter battery
100 - 240V AC LBC-1D5 Lithium Ion Transmitter Battery Charger (FUTM1700), only includes 120V AC United States Standard Input Plug
Aluminum case with fully padded interior, two lockable latches and two keys
Switch harness
Aileron extension cord
Y-harness
DSC (Direct Servo Control) cord
Woven adjustable neck strap
Rubber tipped stylus pen for touch panel, dress nut wrench, 2.5mm and 1.5mm hex wrench
Instruction manual
REQUIRES:
Servos of modeler's choice
Receiver battery of modeler's choice
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM
SCALECRAFT

After reading all this, I'm going control line.

Steve
Old 10-14-2010, 05:12 PM
scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

Steve
No no, if you do that, you will only have one excuse. Stay with 2.4 and your arsenal of excuses will be limitless! LOL
Old 10-14-2010, 05:28 PM
wazzbat

Mmmmmmm???  I'm confused???  I need to buy my first radio but I have no idea what to get now???  I think I might write every model down on a bit of paper and draw one out of a hat!   Then that will be the best radio you can buy and all of the others would be rubbish!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Of all the 2.4 users I know, only the Spektrum/JR guys have had trouble with loss of signal.
One bloke, 2 planes, gone.
Do a search for Spektrum issues or problems and the information on losses is quite significant.

Perhaps users of these radios are more ignorant of proper set up than other users but the anecdotal evidence is clear
That's why JR is dropping Spektrum DSM2 technology and replacing it with DSMM, and no they are not compatible. That $60.00 HobbyKing Turnigy 9X looks great, and they have been tested alot in Europe and NZ. The new one with the new firmware is a must. I sold my Spektrum DX-7 and went with the Hitec Aurora 9, bought the FPP-22 interface $25.00 and can update my own firmware for the transmitter and receivers with a personal computer or laptop. The A9 is a World Class Radio, touchscreen 5.1" wide, Telemetry, Ball Bearing Gimbals, Adaptive Frequency Hopping, LiPo ready and too much other stuff to list. I haven't looked back..!!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Super Kupfer

It's a hard one for most people but for me as a person that owned JR and now back with FUTABA I say go for FUTABA.

Personally I don't like JR for these reasons.

1. Don't like the stupid BINDING PLUGS (The link botton on the FUTABA is user friendly).
2. Don't like the receivers that are on the top level side, Too meny components, Too meny wires (FUTABA is much simpler).
3. Futaba has an SD card drive, JR is just coming out with it now.
4. Personally I don't like JR's sliding scrolling bar (FUTABA's scrolling wheel is easier to work with, I like the I-pod style).
5. JR uses wire for buddy boxing (FUTABA has wireless link).
6. JR are known to be heavy (FUTABA transmitters are light).
7. JR doesn't have a big variety of anything (FUTABA has a bigger variety of radios/Servos).
8. On top of all FASST is becoming an Industry standard (If you notice Futaba is not the ony one using FASST).
9. FUTABA's S.BUS System is very cool.
10. Nothing beats FUTABA's Brushless servos.
MORE MORE AND MORE

The only thing I can say that I liked about JR is:

1. Li-Po battery capability (No need for a Voltage Reg.).
2. Love there transmitter cases (More metal less plastic).
3. MADE IN JAPAN.

I would recommend you to buy the FUTABA 8FG, Its the best one for the $$$$ in my book.

Look outside the box, be open minded, It's somthing that most people have a problem with.

Good Luck, Peace

Old 10-14-2010, 07:10 PM
SCALECRAFT

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

Steve
No no, if you do that, you will only have one excuse. Stay with 2.4 and your arsenal of excuses will be limitless! LOL
True, the word "control" and "line" in there kinda limits my creativity on loss of signal.

dam.

Steve
Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

The BEST Transmitter or Radio System, is the Brand that works best for you at your field. Has the least amount of complaints by other flyers, fits your Billfold and your Flying Requirements, can be repaired or serviced within a reasonable amount of time, can still be used when newer Receivers are available, has the Blessing of your LOCAL Hobby Shop Owner that has to answer all your programing questions, and is compatable with other Transmitters at your Field in case you need to ask for assistance. Do NOT buy a 12 channel radio to fly your 4 channel foamie.

Best of luck,
Ken AMA 1528
Old 10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Fs one

I switched from futaba to Spektrum DX7 2yrs ago love the system never had a glitch.Also know 3 other guy's as well never a problem.I like the xtra goodies spektrum has over futaba.Model match is just 1 of the many features.Receivers are cheaper plus 20 model memory.You can fly bnf models,electric,medium nitro,large gassers,helis all on this one radio.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
scooterinvegas

OK, this thread is starting to sound like a broken record. Im going to leave you all video that will make you cover your eyes for a second, then laugh in disbelief......... By the way, the best controller is MINE! LOL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkXX2Gu-bfg&feature=related[/youtube]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.