Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Where to position fuel tank????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to position fuel tank????

Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM
brickhead179
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to position fuel tank????

Hey guys, i have a problem. I have a decathlon with a nitro engine mounted vertically. Nothing fancy there. Now my fuel tank was mounted about 4 inches behind it and the tanks centerline was close to the my engines carb line. Now to start that engine, i would have to tip the nose down to get fuel running. If i could start it then, i could but it back on its trike landing gear but after maybe 10 minutes at idle it would sputter and die. So i restarted the plane and held it in my hands. When i dipped the nose down, i had a surge of power. But when i tipped the nose slightly up, i immediatly had sputter and stall. Now i think my tank was leaking some air during all of this. So what should i do to repair this problem? Other than replacing the tank with a new one
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Where to position fuel tank????

Hi!
It's very important that you follow the "tank mounting rule"! It says: Mount the tank as near to the engine as possible and with the center of the tank inline with the fuel intake orifice in the carb.
Most times this means that the best engine position is mounting the engine tilted on it's side!!
Old 10-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Lnewqban

How are those 4" measured?
If the tank is not close to the fire wall, you may need to use a pump.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1068

Nothing else can be troubleshot until any leak in the tank or lines is fixed.

Blowing into a empty tank while sumerged in water can show small leaks.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Villa

Hi brickhead179
You think the tank is leaking air? Go no further; correct that! With the engine at idle and your thumb on the carburetor, plugging it, you should see fuel flowing after flipping the prop over manually about 4 times. Do NOT have the glow driver on the glow plug at this time.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 PM
brickhead179
My Feedback: (1)

I see the fuel going into th carb when i plug it and turn the prop, but that doesnt mean im not leaking fuel. When i removed the wing i saw fuel all over the insides and when i tipped the fuel tank to a level horizontal position, i saw fuel running out of it. Im going to use the underwater thing and double check.