Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Pilot Figurine!!!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Pilot Figurine!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
ductedfan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pilot Figurine!!!

Hello all... I have a question concerning a future project. I have seen a lot of pilot figurines out on the market. I've seen different nationalities and ethnic groups represented. I've seen Japenese pilots in scale Zeros, female figures with large bustlines, etc. But I have yet to see an African-American pilot figure on the market!!! Let's face it, how could you do a Tuskegee Airman project justice without a black pilot?!?!?! If there are any out there, where can I get one instead of going to the local toy store and cutting an action figure in half? Thanks a bunch for the info...

DF
Old 10-22-2010, 02:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Pilot Figurine!!!

http://bestpilots.typepad.com/

Lyle Vasser is an absolute artist when it comes to making pilot figures. While he doesn't have a black pilot figure currently you might try contacting him and see if he can do one for you. I have seen his work in person and they are true works of arts!!!

Ken
Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pilots are usually hand painted by the planes builder so the color is a pilots choice for the most part. I do find a number of black pilots for the larger scale IMAC planes at my LHS hanging on the wall. The warbird pilots I have used over the years are made od a light rubber and come without any paint at all. These are made in england by D&K and usually found in any hobby shop worth walking into. Just a small selection odf brushes and the Testors paint in the colors of your choice. In this case I'm showing one of the {VERY OLD} D&K pilots I have had collecting dust for years. It's setting next to Mini Me that a friend made up for me some years back, we have never met in person but he painted for a photo of me at some event I was at? Mini Me is a plastic pilot and found in most hobby shops. The one sitting in one of my Extras is also an old one made of plastic. The rubber D&K sitting in one of my old bipes I painted about 10 years ago, he is getting a bit stiff and the paint is starting to peel a bit but he can still handle a plane pretty well. All hobby shops or craft stores have the Testors paint in stock. It is true, I haven't run into a lot of black warbird pilots for either of the great wars but I do run across them once in a while. Painting is your best bet though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68158.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1521370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41645.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1521371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35071.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1521372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24191.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1521373  
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...bust/index.htm
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The paint usually doesn't have to be fuel proof.

Craft stores sell acrylic in 2 ounce bottles for about $1.50 each. Yeah, one dollar and fifty cents. It's water base and about the easiest paint to use you'll ever use. They have racks next to racks of the stuff. And it's often on sale for $1 ea.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

............and I have seen even skin colors!

They can be found in the crafts department (Walmart).