Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

OS 90 4 cycle without a choke

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

OS 90 4 cycle without a choke

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
dem45133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 90 4 cycle without a choke

How exactly do these chokes work... its not there, so I can't see its operation... ?

and two, is it really necessary for starting (with electric) and waiting to warm up before flying?

and three...are they still available as a part for these old 90s 4 strokes?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS 90 4 cycle without a choke

I took mine off. If you are using an electric starter, it should start right up.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
dem45133

That's what I was thinking too.  Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the pressure nipple hooked up, just put your finger on the end of the exhaust and turn the engine over a few turns. The tank pressure will force the fuel into the carb.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OS removed them some years ago. Most people today use an electric starter so they aren't needed. A finger over the muffler, a finger over the carb or opening up the throttle without hooking up the glow driver and rolling it over chokes them very well. I still have a couple of the chokes from days gone by but haven't had on on an engine in years.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:16 PM
dem45133

I figured there was a simple way....

Hello Gray Beard, TFF and Charlie. How are you all?. Been a couple months since I was on here. Work has been a bear... really didn't have time to play at all. I did figure out the RC path forward for now though... picked up a few things ... mostly on ebay except the electronics. OT paid for it, but that's done now... well, paid OT is anyway.

Starter... this Areomax J3 Cub.... 40-52 70.5" ws ($60 some)
Second one (bought because it was there and the price was right) is a 60-72 Four-Star Bird also by aeromax . ($50 some)
Third one down the road will likely be a 1/4 scale EAA Bipe (unless Imove away from the bipe for my wing morf goal and go with a storchdesign and morph it). I did buy the kit though $130).
Still have the Ultimate 42... I'll play with too later sometime.

Lets see... three vintage K&B 40s (2 VG, 1 parts), 40, 60 and 80 OSMax H 's (VG, 60 is NIB), 46 royal NIB, Saito 45 Mk II 4 stroke (G),and most recently a vintage OS 90 4 stroke. The K&Bs were about $12ea, ~$55 ea for the OS H's, $50 for the 46 royal, and $70 I think forthe Saito 45. The OS 90 was sold as a parts engine for $45... but itsperfectly runnable. Yea, most would just have bought one new engine...I did several used for the same money... But they are acollector/tinkerer's thing in themselves. Besides, maybe I'll scale aAir Cam 300, (I think that's what its called... high wing mono withtwin wing mounted Rotex 4 cyl 982s) and run twin 40s or twin 45 4strokes. I likely collect these little engines a long time... justcool in their own right.

I did put $ into the radio gear though, as down the road I will needmore channels... went with a new Spektrum DX 7. Just no sence in a 4channel and then have to trade it up anyway. Just went with the 7channel to start. I also picked up the field gear needed. Yea, that all cost a couple bucks to get everything one needs for nitro and one RC craft.

Oh I did check out a semi local RC club and went to their flyin and a couple meetings (but haven't joined yet). They are bit far though to go to (everything is spread far apart in NM and i get 14 mpg on a good day) but may for one year to get some dual instruction... yea... I'm still not 100% convinced I'll need it, but hey I did check it out. Toying with building up a test flight post and using a couple large house fans for aileron airflow... sort of an outdoor wind tunnel, just to get a feel for it and set the throws and servos... might be a little too turbulent and too slow a velocity, but I'm still thinking. Ever heard of anything like a flight post for stationary flight testing? Likely could never get the velocities for performance birds, but for trainers it might work.

Oh well, just thinking out loud.

Dave
Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are talking about the FS 90 then you will want to give some careful consideration as to how you are going to provide power to the glow plug most types of removable ignitors or ignitor caps are really quite risky on these and certain old Enya's If you use an inverted mount its even worse.

The most reliable way is to use a remote type ignitor cap.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52252.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	1522362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60944.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	1522363  
Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM
dem45133

Yea... I can see that. The engine isn't here yet... (long story on getting packages delivered here...so I had it sent home...I'll bring it back with me when I fly home for Thanksgiving) Not a lot of clearance there. Humm.... well I have't opened that package yet either. I was recommended to get the NI-Starter... from the looks of it, its way too long at that plugs angle and direction... hummm.

Do they still make a little side clip deals one hooks to a bat... sort of like what the old cox 049s used?. (Lets see, that was about 45 years ago... sometimes thinking is not such a good thing.)

Dave
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Gray Beard

I haven't seen an old one like John is showing in use in a very long time. That's for sure one model I would install one of my remote glow drivers on. Yesterday I made a trade with a friend and came up with a really nice YS 1.20F NIB. I thought that was my big score but he also gave me a NIB FOX .40 ans a OS .25 MAX. I now have several of the little .25s on hand so maybe I can see a twin in my future?? I also started building one of the Goldberg Anniversary cubs for him. It's an old kit he had and wants a float plane. I'm all for the anniversary part but my god, did they have to include the total crappy die cutting!!! The die used in this kit was way past dull. It's like the kits we got in the 50s. I have to use an electric sander on the back of the sheets to get any parts to pop out.
Dave, did you score one of the old engines like the one John is showing?
Gene
Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
dem45133

Well, actually this little OS 90 4c had been on ebay, but he started a $1 and only had three bids... pulled it.  I actually missed the sale as I was at work... and it showed 0 bids after he pulled it .... so I emailed him.  emailed back a forth a little.  He was selling as parts as there was a dab of JB on the carb mount... but since I can do some tricks with the mill and he stated the compression was real good... I got interested.   Asked what he had to have and he said he'd been hoping for $45.  I didn't argue it and had it sent to the house (that's where my shop and mill is anyway).  My wife took more pictures and I had her feel the solidness of the carb mounting (the carb is solid), so if he's right about the compression and bearings... it ought to run just fine I'm hoping... will see if that's a "score" or not.

Oh yea, I just check tower hobbies...all kinds of remote ignition.  Actually hadn't see them yet... looks like the only way to go for most nitro if you ask me.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is one of a number of different types:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD693&P=RF

John
Old 10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
dem45133

Oh Grey Beard, the float conversion down the road is why I went with the J3 as a trainer.  Went to a float flyin a couple months back... pretty cool and a good use of a trainer once you've "graduated".  (assuming it's not dead from the training process).
Old 10-24-2010, 07:35 PM
dem45133

here is a picture of the OS 90 4c I'm talking about

Name:	Bz77479.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1522469  
Old 10-24-2010, 07:39 PM
dem45133

another one

Name:	Ig11590.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1522470  
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
dem45133

Grey B... sounds like you did do some scoring... good job. I'm still keeping my eye open for a 1.2 or 1.5 for the 1/4 scale....
Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: dem45133

Grey B... sounds like you did do some scoring... good job. I'm still keeping my eye open for a 1.2 or 1.5 for the 1/4 scale....
I came out about even, I never said what I gave for it. I was just trading for the YS but when he brought over the kit he gave me these engines too. I have still never flown off of water myself but in a trade { I do that a lot} I came up with a giant Decathlon and it came with floats. I traded away the plane and forgot to give the guy the floats so I still have those big suckers. Other then lake Mead I don't have a lot of wet around me.
That be one of the old OS engines just like John has. Save yourself some pain and make up a remote glow driver, don't want to be loosing any parts when you remove the stick driver.
I ended up trading my old shot shell reloader with all the extras and 200 pounds of lead shot. If I had to replace it the price would be about the same as a new YS 1.40 sport. He wasn't using the engine and I had to give up shooting so I no longer roll my own. Pretty even trade and we both got something we could use. I do love horse trading!!! Sure can't afford to be buying anything new.
Gene