Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Precision Aerobatics Quantum 45 ESC problem.

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Precision Aerobatics Quantum 45 ESC problem.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Aerobatics Quantum 45 ESC problem.

I have an inexplicable issue here. I had been flying my PA Ultimate quite a bit and really love it. Everything in it was bought from PA. Anyway I didn't fly it for a month or two. It sat indoors under climate controlled conditions. I took it out to fly last week and realized I had a problem. The ESC arms as usual, but when advancing the throttle I get to about 60% power and it suddenly drops to a high idle, only to rev back up to 60% and back to high idle. It keeps doing this with cycles of about 3 seconds. It sounds like it is "shifting gears." I plugged a different ESC into it and the problem vanished.

So any ideas? The ESC looks brand new (it is) and has never been crashed or over heated. There is nothing visibly wrong with it. Why would it fail after just sitting? I e-mailed PA and hope they can help. Until then my Ultimate is grounded..
Old 11-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Precision Aerobatics Quantum 45 ESC problem.

Could be your transmitter end points? Any programming change, throttle mixes, etc. added to the radio?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Sessholvlaru

No, I checked that. Like I mentioned, I tried a difference ESC and the motor worked fine. It must be an ESC malfunction, and I was curious as to what the problem could be, i.e. bad capacitor, etc.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 AM
andWho

Hi,
Any updates or respons from PA on this issue?

I got exactly the same issue with my PA Bandit.
I maidened yesterday, with the std PA IPA kit. I.e Thrust40, Qauntum45Pro, 14x7Vox. Using 3s2200 Lipos.
It has been stitting waiting for maiden all winter, could shelf-time harm the ESC? Nah....
I tried to re-program and set LVC level to LOW, maybe some improvement but it still behaves the same.

Will try a proper genuine China ESC later today, the good old rock solid Tgy K-force 40A.
/A
Old 03-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Sessholvlaru

Yes PA had replaced my ESC long ago, but the whole ordeal took many months and it really made me doubt PA's customer support. They made me jump through hoops to get the ESC replaced, having me do numerous tests, take videos of the problem, etc. Needless to say they should have just had me send it in for testing, but I guess Horizon has spoiled me in that department.

I understand that 99% of the problems these manufacturers encounter are due to user error, but this was one case where the ESC simply inexplicably became defective in between one weekend of flying and the next. The guy on the phone told me that I should not run a 14x7 with the setup, despite the fact that their website still lists that prop as one of the recommended.

I would still buy PA stuff again, but considering it is in the upper echelon price-wise I feel like I could have been treated better. This is what mine was doing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax56JYz-f6Y&list=UUza8OFpYT5BOjM64MTI0LSQ&index=39&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Old 03-30-2012, 01:13 PM
andWho

Thanks Sess for the info,
I think I found my problem though. I had made a very poor solder joint on the XT60, causing major voltage drop. Also some old tired LiPos in use.
All joints re-soldered and some new fresh LiPos will do the trick.
/A
Old 01-10-2015, 01:27 PM
arfwrecker
My Feedback: (12)

yes another bites the dust, something wrong with these speed controllers. mine bit dust installed 35 amp hobby king, problem all gone.