Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Identify this old plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Identify this old plane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 PM
ama1437

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identify this old plane?

Can you identify this old plane? I picked it up at this year's Joe Nall but didn't write down what little information I was told.

My friend thought it might be a Skylark 56, but the tail is wrong for that. Besides, the wingspan is 60".

Old 11-25-2010, 08:53 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Identify this old plane?

Looks like a Kwik Fli III.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:57 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...looks like a Kwik Fli to me too...

Top Flite and Graupner kitted it...late 60's.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
ama1437

OK, thanks guys. I believe you are right. I searched Kwik Fli III and have found information pictures that seem to agree with you. The tail, which looks like a Kaos seemed to say "Phil Kraft design", and the Kwik Fli III is just that. I love the Kraft planes. Some of the best flying planes ever designed. This is great news.

I picked this up at the Joe Nall this year and am preparing it for an old timer pattern contest coming up in the spring.

This is a case of being in the right place at the right time. It was in a pile of old planes in various states of disrepair. I almost passed it by because mostly there were wings with no fuselages or covering and other things that made the pile look like junk. But there was a hand scribbled sign saying, "Free Pile". Huh?????? Free???? OK, I'll look a little. Probably won't find anything though. As I went through the pile I found first the wing and then the fuselage. Wow, they match and they are covered, painted, not damaged and still structurally sound. Awesome! I didn't know what it was, but I knew it looked like just what I needed for that old timer contest.

The guy I got it from said it had belonged to one of the Hartness family. Pat Hartness of course, owns the property where the Joe Nall is held each year. I feel privileged to own this beautiful old plane.

I put in an OS AX .55 and all new radio gear. I'll maiden it (for it's second life) this Sunday.

Thanks for the input guys, you made my day.

Scott
Old 11-26-2010, 02:13 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep Kwik Fli!, You lucky dog!, im just fixing to start building one. Allways wanted one, just one more off the bucket list...Gene
Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 PM
iron eagel

Nice plane!
It should be in a museum.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool, I was just looking in RCM plans and saw they had the plans for for it.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Home & Hobby Solutions has kits in stock. I just bought one for myself for a winter project, amongst others!......Gene
Old 11-27-2010, 09:48 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do a Google search on the Kwik Fli III, you will find another RC Universe thread on it. One post has a nice pdf document of its history which goes way back.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: gene6029

Yep Kwik Fli!, You lucky dog!, im just fixing to start building one. Allways wanted one, just one more off the bucket list...Gene
Never quite heard it like that when it comes to model planes... I like it!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
ama1437

I took it out this last weekend and it flew perfectly! I was surprised how well it knife edged. With an 11 x 4 prop, it climbs forever and does perfect loops. Now it will get weekly practice flights to prepare for the old timers contest next spring.

Sorry to the guy who thinks it should be in a museum. I also drive my 1948 Dodge flatbed. Maybe both will find their way to museums after I go. But I love 'em and use 'em. You should see the look on peoples faces when I take my truck to a car show and tell them, "Go ahead, hop in and touch anything you like." Usually results in conversations of how their grandfather had one of these when they were just a kid and he used to take me......." Too many signs saying look but don't touch in my opinion. My truck is how they were when they were not quite new.

I'll keep this plane as pristine as possible.... for a plane being flown.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one friend that has given me three planes over the years. Each one was something you don't see very often. Every time he gives me one he states how it should be hung on a wall, over a pool table. RIGHT!!!! If that's the case he should be giving them to someone else. A plane with a history is just more fun to fly!! Glad to hear it flys as nice as it looks.