Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Rc servo manufacturers?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rc servo manufacturers?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 PM
worldmodelsmach1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc servo manufacturers?

Just recently I had my receiver go out on me and cause the loss of my airplane, I was wondering though if it is ok to use all sorts of servos with any receiver (EG futaba with airtronics or hitec with spectrum) because I think this might have something to to with my failed receiver. Please, lets see your opinions, everyone (as always) is welcome =].
Old 11-26-2010, 10:27 PM
ChuckW

Default RE: Rc servo manufacturers?

You can mix and match servo and receiver brands with no problems in most cases. Futaba, JR/Spektrum, Hitec, Airtronics, etc. all use the same wiring configuration. You might run into issues with certain older servos but that's about it.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 PM
ZachB10
My Feedback: (9)

I have a mixture of Hitec and Futaba servos, with a Futaba receiver.   Doesn't matter.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a combination of servo brands all the time. I mix and match digital and analog. The RX doesn't know what brand they are. It could have just been the end of the batteries life and you got caught. Last week I was doing a set up on a plane with a battery pack that wasn't all that old and just had a fresh charge on it. About two minutes into the set up the plane quit working. I put the battery on the charger and over night the pack only went up above 3 volts. Glad I caught it on the ground. One reason I use a loaded volt meter before I fly.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:40 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

I've aso used a mix of Futaba and Hitec servos without issue. Iwould be more concerned with the number of servos and the total load that they could place on the battery. It is possible to draw so much power that it can literally cause a brown out to the receiver. Do a little research on the power draw that servos have when under a load. The information is much harder to find these days as the larger manufactures aren't as trasparent with this information. What information you will find, the numbers will most likely surprise you. A stalled servo draws a lot of power. Digitals servos draw a significant amount of power. A quick example would be a Hitec Servo # HS-5475HB when stalled can pull 900mA. I've seen number as high as 2400mA from one servo. The normal running current under no load is listed to be 160mA. Digital servos can typically draw five to ten times more power then analog servos. I did some research when I built my first turbine as it was a significant investment. The information Ifound basically pushed me to look into redundant battery system with the use of 8 digital and 2 analog servos. The battery backer that I used recorded on two occasions of a switch over to the backup battery. To me that was two times Icould have lost my jet.