Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobby King- wheres the stock

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobby King- wheres the stock

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
TxToby
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby King- wheres the stock

I've been trying to get all of the basic foamy gear... servos, Lipo's, ESC's, etc.. but for several weeks HK has been out of stock of all of it. I'm surprised that they didn't overstock all of these items with Christmas coming up. Yes, i know people order early but it's not like they dont know the demand is by now on these hot items.

Last time this happened was during the Chinese Holiday. It was (weeks) where you couldnt get Jack. How long does it usually take to restock the basic items? It's been a long time since I ordered from them.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:13 PM
WCB

Default RE: Hobby King- wheres the stock

I've noticed the same thing. I went there several times just browsing and it seemed that everything that caught my eye was out of stock. I figured it was a marketing tactic...advertise all these great deals to get you there and then have none of the sale items in stock hoping you'll buy something anyway. I quit fooling with them. Never bought anything.,
Old 12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
1320Fastback

Can take several days or months. I wanted to get some of the 6 channel knock off Spektrum receivers but settled on the 4 channel and they arrived at my house 3 days before I got the email that the 6 channel were in stock.

Try HeadsUpRC.com if you want comparable stateside stuff. Great to deal with and $2.00 shipping
Old 12-05-2010, 02:24 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check out Value Hobby. Pretty much the same stuff but they're in Illinois and their shipping is $3.99 for any order. And they don't seem to have most of their stock sold out.

Another thing you don't see from them is fraudulent valuation of package contents. The valuation of contents by Hobby King is straight up criminal. They could have what they advertise and still won't see another order from me.

http://www.valuehobby.com/index.php
Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 AM
WCB

fraudulent valuation of package contents.
I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean what they advertise and what you actually get are not the same thing (or not even close in value)? I've never ordered from them. Like the OP they never had anything that I wanted in stock.

wcb
Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 AM
1320Fastback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Another thing you don't see from them is fraudulent valuation of package contents.
I always thought that it was the true cost of the contents. The difference between what is on the box and our invoice is their profit.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
TxToby

Da Rock, are you saying that the invoice says 5 servos and he only got 4 or are you referring to them charging you more?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

He is referring to the "declared value" for customs and import taxes. Their is no issue with your actual order. HK will either ship your order listed as a gift or make the declared amount GREATLY under value (I.E. a $100 order would only have a declared value of $5 to avoid tax). This is just another way these Chinese companies offering cheap products are affecting economies of other countries around the world.

As for the out of stock issue, some products it seems are never in stock, others they will have listed 100+ one day and be out the next. With the cheap prices, they seem to sell a large volume and are certainly being bought by people who rebadge and sell with significant mark-up. Buying from sellers in the US can be good, but many of these are those who simply rebadge, you are still buying stuff made overseas and no doubt these are shipped to the seller with the same fraudulent declared values.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: TxToby

Da Rock, are you saying that the invoice says 5 servos and he only got 4 or are you referring to them charging you more?

Haha, not even that close.

The invoice said something like $5.37 of toys on the first $100+ shipment, and something like $7.13 for toy parts on the 2nd, which was also many times more that seven dollars. Their valuation is often discussed at the field by the guys who think it's hilarious. I really don't and have decided to deal elsewhere for a couple of reasons.

The valuation is one thing. The next on my list is my last purchase. Either the motor or the ESC is defective. I've not tried to figure which beyond proving that a good ESC also gets the same stutter out of that motor, and a good motor won't run properly with the ESC. They certainly don't run right together. Trying to explain that to them, if I do get them on the phone, is something I really don't think is going to work either.

No matter how much you save on cheap stuff, if any one item doesn't work, you're basically screwed more than you were going to save.

After seeing how they deal with our import laws, I really don't expect a lot from them personally.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM
WCB

I understand. Thanks for the explanations and Da Rock I agree with what you said.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

da Rock, what you say is disgusting, especially with our economy what it is. But how do we know that the Chinese built stuff we buy from people like Tower or Horizon didn't come here the same way the only difference being that it came in a huge container with grossly understated value? That would suggest that we buy absolutely nothing made in China for fear of this happening.[] I know that I am naive, but I never even thought about something like that. Bummer
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Himat

Myself I'm no big buyer at H.K. Or other own brand "cheap" stuff. The rationale, I usually scratch build and see no reason to put a $2 servo with dubious quality control in a 100 hour airframe. On a 3 hour $10 foamie i do use the cheap stuff. Buying the "brand" names I hope I pay for better quality control, slightly better design and production, and I'm sure I pay a "brand" mark up filling the companys coffer.

As for the "declared value", thats a political thing, but it's not what loaddowna nations budget deficit. (On my budget the hobby load it down anyway, but thats something else.)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:28 AM
TxToby

You are right. I would never put any HK products in my large scale.... but I buy $10 lipos, $2 servos, Night flying LED lights, CA Kicker, Xactos, etc all day long for my $50 foamy.

They're good for saving $100's on my electric stuff but they're no good to me if they're out of stock for weeks.... esp around CHRISTMAS when I'm trying to build BNF foamies for my buddies.

I'm going to give some other companies my business although I'm sure Hobby Kong wont care a bit!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
da Rock

I guess I wouldn't say they've saved me much money over the time I've used them. Why?

Because I just proved that the motor is defective and the ESC is defective. Another motor and ESC showed up yesterday that I ordered from Value Hobby. I used them to cross check both motors and ESCs after I soldered connectors on the most recent purchases.

The total cost of the Value Hobby stuff was just about the same as the defective stuff from HobbyKing. HK pricing is actually cheaper, but the shipping tilts the balance back for Value Hobby. And Value Hobby is quicker by far, and I got accurate package tracking. And what I got from them works.

It'd take a lot more purchasing from HK to make up the 100% loss, and I don't plan to do that. I can't see using a company that lies so blatantly on their import duty. I won't be a part of that, even if their stuff was better quality controlled.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you did not know about their import practices, I cannot see how to ever get anything from them. I cannot state how many times I have gone to the website in the last 4 months thinking that there might be something for me to buy and then seeing the BK next to the item.

Do they eveyr stock anything at all? [X(]

Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Jetdesign

They try to stock a lot. You need to setup the page to notify you when stock comes in - We ALL use Hobby city, people from all over the world. They sell out fast!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:13 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Had a buddy order a bunch from them a few weeks ago. They charged $120 shipping but left their shipping receipt attached. Their bill for shipping was around $40.