Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

self made spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

self made spinner

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Emissions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default self made spinner

I have about 30 some odd days left of my last year in High School and ive completed all my projects that need to be done in my metalworking class. I was thinking about dinking around the lathe a bit and try to make a spinner/prop hub. You know then ones i'm talking about? They look like a spinner but screw on like a prop hub. its gonna be made out of aluminum, im not looking for too big a spinner, i dont want to kick a bunch of coin into a large block of aluminum or anything. I was wondering if anyone has every tried this and what should I keep in mind?? Also where can I find a big damn block of aluminum???
Old 04-11-2002, 12:41 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

goto a steel shop, they will know where to get some for you!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:30 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will not need a large piece of metal. Most of those spinner nuts are not much bigger than 1" dia.

If you are asking for a procedure, try this. Put the barstock in the lathe, square off the end and drill and tap a hole, to suit your crankshaft, about 3/4 deep. Cut off the piece to your required length.

Put another piece of material in the lathe, face it off, drill and tap the same size hole in it. Do not remove it. Screw a set screw or stud into your unfinished spinner nut. It should bottom in the hole and stick out about 1/2". Screw this on to the piece still in the lathe. You can now machine your cone or bullet shape spinner. It will be true to the tapped hole. If you machine that shape first you will have nothing to grip on while drilling and tapping the hole.

There are other methods but that is probably the simplest.

Ed S