Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spectrum DX8, Love it? Hate it? What?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spectrum DX8, Love it? Hate it? What?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Arrow IV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum DX8, Love it? Hate it? What?

Fellow addicts, love to hear your thoughts on the Spektrum DX8. Being a long time JR guy, I find a slight hesitation to pull the trigger on a new DX8. It appears to do everything a little boy could need, seems to be priced pretty well, it even has that new fancy telemetry dealy, so what am I missing? I do have to admit, and this is JMHO, but you look at a Futaba and it looks like a solid piece of equipment, you look at a JR (with the exception of the JR 11X 2.4 which looks like a bad Iron Man impression or a fricken Cylon from Battle Star Galactica… who came up with that? Yikes!) and you know you’re holding a solid piece of equipment, but when I hold the DX8 it has that plastic, cheapy, basic feel to it… Don’t kill me Spektrum guys, just sharing my thoughts and besides I think I might join the band! So tell me what you think about that little bad boy, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, I want it all!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Default RE: Spectrum DX8, Love it? Hate it? What?

Just getting into mine, but I find it easy to program and the ability to upgrade the software via an SD card are great. If you have a DX6i, you are over 70% of the way learning to program. The book could be more instructive on the upgrading feature, but as I said I'm just getting into it. So far, the best I've owned.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Arrow IV
you look at a JR (with the exception of the JR 11X 2.4 which looks like a bad Iron Man impression or a fricken Cylon from Battle Star Galactica… who came up with that? Yikes!)
A japanese engineering student that is in the ******** hobby designed the case on the JR 11X. Ihate the way it looks too but am getting one as my dad bought one and really likes it even though it looks like an Autobot

Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Fellow addicts, love to hear your thoughts on the Spektrum DX8. Being a long time JR guy, I find a slight hesitation to pull the trigger on a new DX8. It appears to do everything a little boy could need, seems to be priced pretty well, it even has that new fancy telemetry dealy, so what am I missing? I do have to admit, and this is JMHO, but you look at a Futaba and it looks like a solid piece of equipment, you look at a JR (with the exception of the JR 11X 2.4 which looks like a bad Iron Man impression or a fricken Cylon from Battle Star Galactica… who came up with that? Yikes!) and you know you’re holding a solid piece of equipment, but when I hold the DX8 it has that plastic, cheapy, basic feel to it… Don’t kill me Spektrum guys, just sharing my thoughts and besides I think I might join the band! So tell me what you think about that little bad boy, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, I want it all!!!
I, too was a JR guy for about 17 years before 2.4 came along. I liked JR. I didn't jump to 2.4 right away, and when I did, three years ago, it was to a frequency hopping system, not Spektrum. I currently fly Futaba C7 and Airtronics RDS8000 with great happiness, joy and peace of mind. Not knocking Spectrum, huge numbers of users with this equipment, just offering a point of view of a previous JR user. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will be glad of the move to 2.4.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Have you considered Aurora 9?

I'm hearing lot of good stuff about it. Works well & easy to program.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Fellow addicts, love to hear your thoughts on the Spektrum DX8. Being a long time JR guy, I find a slight hesitation to pull the trigger on a new DX8. It appears to do everything a little boy could need, seems to be priced pretty well, it even has that new fancy telemetry dealy, so what am I missing?
If your happy with JR, why go to Spektrum? (not the same company) The only thing with the DX8 I liked was the telemetry. I talked my LHS owner down a bit and got a JR9503 for just a few bucks more than the DX8 would cost. LOVE the 9503. I have a DX7 (built by JR) and the DX8 is NOT built by JR.

Now with that said, I have a Futaba 2.4 too. The Rx are just too much $$$.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Arrow IV

Thanks Gents! Sounds like I have a bit more research to do. I am kind of digging that 9503 though....
Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Just make sure you get a Module based JR Tx. Somethin' cookin' in JR 2.4
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: vasek

Just make sure you get a Module based JR Tx. Somethin' cookin' in JR 2.4
I for one am not going to buy $1000 in new Rx's when JR makes the switch.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:57 AM
johnboyrc

If you fly helicopters, the dx8 has a 5point throttle curve. A radio at this level (features/price) should have a 7 point curve. I read a review that said the gimbles would flex when moved up and down to the end points.
Looks like quality wasnt as big a deal as telemetry.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Arrow IV

JohnboyRC, what do you mean exactly when you say the gimbles flex at the end points?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM
johnboyrc

It will bend- if you push the sticks all the way up or down they'll bend/flex slightly. I assume this is without much pressure. Like I said, this is what I have read in a review.