Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Big Z-Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a super charger that fits on most nitro motors that is built by RB Innovations? I'm trying to find out a little information on this product and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: engine

I have been kickin around the idea of asking if anyone has fit a supercharger to their glow engines for a plane.. Iknow they make them for the monster trucks but I wondered if it were practical to put a little air squeezer on an aircraft engine.. I am interested.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interested!!

seems like a better prospect than a tuned piped for a pattern plane
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
moe7404

last summer i spent 4 weeks trying to get a supercharger to work on a traxxas 3.3. IT CANT BE DONE. DONT EVEN TRY. just learn to tune, it might take some time but thats your best bet for performance.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Mk23socom

Moe, I have no problems tuning for the most part so I cant say that I was curious about the "tune it and forget" aspect of the supercharger system. Iwas wondering if anyone has tried one of these units on an aircraft engine and if not, is it impractical. I have thought about gettin one for my Revo once upon a time but after what you said, I am certainly thinking otherwise! thats good information to have.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

OS tried this around 1990 with a roots style blower on a 1.20; it performed very well but the engine temperament went into the tank.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

To get any meaningful increase in horsepower, the compression would have to be changed on the engine, along with the porting. The same improvement can be made by increasing nitro since it adds oxygen to the mix just like a supercharger does. Or, for about the same weight penalty as adding a supercharger you can increase displacement to make more power. On these little powerplants, it's just not practical when the other methods of making horsepower are so much simpler.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

To get any meaningful increase in horsepower, the compression would have to be changed on the engine, along with the porting. The same improvement can be made by increasing nitro since it adds oxygen to the mix just like a supercharger does. Or, for about the same weight penalty as adding a supercharger you can increase displacement to make more power. On these little powerplants, it's just not practical when the other methods of making horsepower are so much simpler.
You nailed it Jester, Supercharging is a waist of time.

rrragman
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I figured that it was too much effort and wieght for the amount of gain. If it WEREpractical, we would see it be done. The guy brought it up and I remembered kicking that idea around over beers with my pops a couple years ago, we thought the idea was cool but concluded that it must not be practical if it is something that we havent seen nor heard about. Thanks for your words fellas!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a photo of one in High Flight {IMAA magazine} Vol.24 No. 3 Fall issue 2003 page 72 taken at the Joe Nall. the caption states it's a photo of a roots blower on an OS engine but it sure looks like a Saito to me. Nothing said about it other then the caption. Looks very cool and mean but if it was something that worked really well it sure didn't catch on.