Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Propeller puller

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Propeller puller

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 AM
tomd-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller puller

Hello,

I need to know where I can buy a good propeller puller for a 60-120 sixe airplane !

Thanks
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Propeller puller

You need to pull the prop off the plane? It should come off fairly easily. If not, then someone didn't ream out the hole before installing it like they should have. Any simple gear puller should work to get it off if you can't wiggle it off. The auto parts stores and Harbor Freight have them.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:03 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A prop puller as such is not what you need and I know of none sold for that purpose. As suggested by jester what you need is a proper propellor step reamer. These are commonly avalible in both metric as well as SAE sizes.

All new props should be reamed to size and if you have to thread it on then force on the rest of the way with the nuts then that is a really bad idea additionaly this can cause problems with spinners and their back plates and even cause chronic prop throwing incidents even in flight.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...er++&search=Go

John
Old 01-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Villa

If you installed the prop with the hole too small, there is a danger that you could cause the prop hub to crack. You want a snug fit, but never tight. Use a screw driver, or something similar. and a spacer to pry off the prop and then use a prop reamer to make the hole the correct size.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
tomd-RCU

Thank you all for the good advices.

Tomd
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Crash-RCU

If it is a 60 to 120 size prop I think I would use a hack saw blade and just cut the prop off and get a new one and a prop reamer and put the prop on right.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For what it's worth, I use a tapered reamer for all of my props. It's ok if the hole is tapered since all it does is center the prop on the drive washer. I like the tapered reamer better because it works on SAE and Metric shafts, and it was cheap.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do have both SAE and Metric reamers so I have never had to use a puller of any type to remove one. I also have a battery terminal puller in a drawer That would do the trick. I use it for a lot of things when working on samll engines. Cheap and any auto parts store has them in stock.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have done very well having both the metric and the SAE reamers. Between the two, you can always get the hole right. Well worth a few bucks to have both.

Jim
Old 01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
jstrach

I had this issue just happen to me yesterday; the propeller was not bored out correctly to fit the shaft and it was held on by the spacer ring which would not come off. I couldn't even get a space behind the propeller to allow for screwdriver(s) to pry it off.  After considering cutting the cowl and a plethora of other ideas, I decided the cheapest solution was to use a Dremel tool to cut the propeller off the shaft.  Obviously I'm not happy with this solution but it was the less of possible evils.  The propeller is a $2.49 part and the easiest to find locally.

That was my solution.

I have added a prop shaft reamer to my Tower Hobbies Wish List..... 
Old 01-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Modify a battery terminal puller to reach around the hub.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a heads up, sounds like some newer pilots here. The reamers are only a couple of bucks and work on most sizes of props even if you get up to the bigger gas engines in the future. NEVER use pliers to try to hold your thrust washer so you can take the prop off or on, it just boogers up the washer. Four stroke engines have a small slot on the washer to show top dead center, pilers will remove that little slot. When you are at your local hobby shop buying your reamers then you can also buy {I make my own} a piston stop that will keep your engine from turning over. This is used in place of your pliers!! There are several other ways to hold the piston in place but at this point it could be too many pearls of wisdom being spouted.